Lost civilization, Part 1 [Release]

New maps, and other projects whose primary focus is new maps, belong here.

NOTE: This forum, and all forums below it, are NOT for questions or troubleshooting! Threads here are for active projects only! Please use the Editing subforums or General for questions.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are ONLY for YOUR PROJECTS! If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.

Lost civilization, Part 1 [Release]

Postby Jaska » Thu Apr 02, 2020 1:06 am

Seems like I haven't started a thread at all in here.

Download mirrors:
https://www.mediafire.com/file/fupwsvfl ... 5.zip/file

https://www.doomworld.com/idgames/level ... oi_lstcv15

https://files.fm/u/wyvqqqec

This is a thread for my project "Lost civilization". Hopefully I've achieved something unique and memorable what has never been seen before. Won Cacoward 2019!

Boom-compatible. So you can easily play it with your favourite gameplay mods!
Tested in GZDoom, prBoom+.
Freelook allowed. Mapinfo support (crouching and jumping disabled)
Multiplayer, only player starts (not tested).
Mapslots map01 - map21 + map31 (31 being inaccessible without codes, hadn't ideas to complete it)

Story: A civilization was collapsed as people got into religion of "ignorant egoistic idiotism". Genetically modified cattle and food turned the people and animals to agressive zombies. But there were few survivors. How they weren't affected?

Credits in .txt file.

Crosspost from DW's thread
https://www.doomworld.com/forum/topic/1 ... load-link/
Jaska

Operating System: Windows 10/8.1/8/201x 64-bit
OS Test Version: No (Using Stable Public Version)
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Re: Lost civilization, Part 1 [Release]

Postby Jaska » Thu Apr 02, 2020 1:12 am

When I try to include screenshots it only gives me this error message: "Your message contains too few characters."
[Edit: looks like it accepts 4 screenshots]

Screenshots:
Spoiler:
Jaska

Postby Nems » Thu Apr 02, 2020 1:33 am

This is one of my favorite Doom level sets of all time and one I find myself coming back to frequently. If you ever have plans to make a part two, I certainly will look forward to playing it. <3
Nems
"small monster loops"

Postby Jaska » Thu Apr 02, 2020 2:28 am

Nems wrote:This is one of my favorite Doom level sets of all time and one I find myself coming back to frequently. If you ever have plans to make a part two, I certainly will look forward to playing it. <3

Thanks! Yes, I have plans and I've already started on developing the next version!

viewtopic.php?f=19&t=68050
Jaska

Postby vitriolicv » Tue Aug 11, 2020 11:02 am

One level down: Loved it. This should be fun to the finish!
vitriolicv

Postby Phyne » Tue Sep 22, 2020 11:52 pm

What an incredible mapset, seriously good stuff.

I played through in 2 player coop with: the Naku-Naru weapons which I thought would match with the theme of the maps (they did very well), brutal doom monsters-only as I'm a bit tired of the vanilla roster's traditional moveset, and a resurrection/lives earned through monster kills system while refraining from saving and loading at any time during a level (only at starts).

We had an absolutely brilliant time splitting up throughout the non-linear levels and having to trek to each other to pop off a resurrection if we didn't have lives to spare. A demonstration: brother dies elsewhere in the map "Can you come get m--" switches to spectator view "Where are you at?!?" "I don't know lol" https://clips.twitch.tv/CleverAstuteSpiderKappa We would constantly discover routes the other person had missed and it was like a giant game of show and tell, bringing them to the interesting secret or key location. Then the map would bring us back together as we ventured through the multi-key doors and switches, or where the level converged on a slaughterfest or boss. The pacing as you swapped between smaller maps and complex maps in addition to what seemed like a gradual increase in overall complexity throughout the episode was well done.

Best Maps
MAP07 Lost in the Forest - Gosh did I love trekking through the thick brush, getting ambushed, and later traveling overhead in sections you never even noticed! This one's my favorite!
MAP15 Mansion - We were both happy with the separate entrances we each were working through, only to later find there were a lot of ways you could approach this. Just really nice design.
MAP20 Ending - No explanation needed really.

Great Maps
MAP01 Mountain Pass
MAP02 Oceanside
MAP03 The Farmlands
MAP04 River Valley
MAP05 Mountain Village
MAP06 The Secret City
MAP09 Courtyard
MAP13 City Center
MAP14 Downtown
MAP18 Laboratory

Neutral
MAP08 Castle - What felt like maybe too much empty open space, felt a bit like generic slaughtermap, and then a slightly claustrophobic castle.
MAP10 Nightmare - The early sections felt a bit too simple and linear, but the back half with the dark corridors/bridges and the overhanging vines gave a really nice vibe.
MAP11 Nightfall - Hard to put my finger on it but it didn't seem to stand out much.
MAP12 Suburb - Much like Nightfall, didn't blow me away.
MAP19 Division - The beginning felt uninspired/boring, but the middle section gave us some nice Serious Sam vibes, and the final section was well done. A bit thematically disconnected overall.

Didn't really like
MAP16 Fort - Kinda boring.
MAP17 Prison - Felt too confined, samey looking throughout.

As a disclaimer, I guess I'll put it as someone else did, this is more of a relative ranking within the wad and all of the levels are really quite superior in the grand scheme of things. Looking forward to part 2!
Phyne

Postby Jaska » Fri Sep 25, 2020 3:22 am

vitriolicv wrote:One level down: Loved it. This should be fun to the finish!

Thanks! What did you like of the rest of the maps?

Phyne wrote:What an incredible mapset, seriously good stuff.

Thanks for the feedback! It's always rewarding to read and important to know what is liked, what not. Nice you liked forest-map! It was quite labour intensive and I was afraid everyone hates it because they got lost in it, heh. I was about to remove fort and prison, but there was feedback on fort being atmospheric so I kept it, as it is a small map after all. And then the prison already had connection to the lab so I kept it too.. I hope I have time to check those gameplay videos. Those are very valuable. I've paid too little attention to the multiplayer aspect. It kind felt overwhelming as I would had to test all maps many times again. And well I didn't have even opportunity to that. But at least, you shouldn't get stuck on any area if you respawn at start. For LC2 I would have to make a multiplayer only version as the version I'm making has zscript in it. I have to think about it when I get something finished.
Jaska

Postby shimotsuki_yumi » Sat Sep 26, 2020 6:36 pm

I really had fun playing this wad, the maps are just superb and sometimes I couldn't help but stare at the beautiful landscape and buildings :D

p.s this might be unrelated but my fav map is The Mansion :)
shimotsuki_yumi

Discord: yumi#3992
Graphics Processor: Intel (Modern GZDoom)

Postby Jaska » Sun Sep 27, 2020 4:14 pm

shimotsuki_yumi wrote:I really had fun playing this wad, the maps are just superb and sometimes I couldn't help but stare at the beautiful landscape and buildings :D

Thanks! I enjoyed building them :)

shimotsuki_yumi wrote:p.s this might be unrelated but my fav map is The Mansion :)

It's not unrelated, It's always nice to know which maps are liked and which are not :)
Jaska

Return to Levels