Doom: Dissension [WIP]

New maps, and other projects whose primary focus is new maps, belong here.

Note: This forum, and all forums below it, are not for questions or troubleshooting! Threads created here are for active projects only! If you have questions please feel free to use the Editing subforums or General forum.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Doom-X-Machina
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

Doom: Dissension [WIP]

Post by Doom-X-Machina »

This is Doom: Dissension...

A 10-map WAD for Doom II: Hell On Earth using the GZDoom engine. Still currently under development with a tentative release scheduled for late-2020.
Quite a few resources from Realm677 are used and I have included credits for all the amazing creators in the WAD documentation in the beta release.
WAD also features original soundeffects and final release will most likely come with original soundtrack also.

More info at https://www.facebook.com/doomdissension.

ESSENTIAL REQUIREMENTS:
=======================
- Doom II: Hell On Earth
- GZDoom 4.3.3

RECOMMENDED MODS:
===================
If you want the WAD to resemble what you see in screenshots and video, you will need the following mods. They are NOT essential but will definitely improve the experience.

- Brutal Doom v21 Gold
https://www.moddb.com/mods/brutal-doom/ ... m-v21-beta
- CatsVisor HUD 1.9.5
https://www.moddb.com/mods/brutal-doom/ ... widescreen
- SBrightmaps
https://www.moddb.com/games/doom/addons/sbrightmaps
- High Res Textures
https://www.moddb.com/mods/doom-hd1
- Brutal Doom Voxel Patch v3.2.1
https://www.moddb.com/addons/brutal-doom-voxel-patch
- Sprite Shadows
download/file.php?id=35756
- Doom Liquid textures pack V1.3
https://www.moddb.com/addons/doom-liquid-texture-pack
- DoubleJump
https://www.wad-archive.com/download/a6 ... e+jump.pk3
- ScreenTilt
download/file.php?id=35757

================================

MAP01: Outbreak COMPLETE
MAP02: Phobos Launch Control COMPLETE
MAP03: Crash COMPLETE
MAP04: Quarantine COMPLETE
MAP05: The Drill COMPLETE
MAP06: Cyberdemonetics COMPLETE
MAP07: Mars Reactor WIP
MAP08: Experiment 666 WIP
MAP09: Go To Hell! WIP
MAP10: Cannon Fodder WIP

=================================

=================================

2-MAP BETA: "Escape From Phobos" available here:
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/8mk2ta45ktjw ... vhgzK7adUa

Features the first 2 maps of Doom: Dissension for exploration and bug testing. Download and have a look!
Doom-X-Machina

Re: Doom: Dissension [WIP]

Post by Doom-X-Machina »

Had a break for the last couple of weeks while playing through Doom: Eternal and working on stuff with my band. But I've resumed work on this project :twisted:

Fresh screenshots from MAP08: "Meltdown".

DoomSoul

Post by DoomSoul »

Double jump is required to beat the game?
PRIMEVAL

Post by PRIMEVAL »

Looking good!
Doom-X-Machina

Post by Doom-X-Machina »

DoomSoul wrote:Double jump is required to beat the game?
No, it's not required to complete the game but it will make certain places a little easier to get to.
Doom-X-Machina

Post by Doom-X-Machina »

PRIMEVAL wrote:Looking good!
Thankyou :D A labour of love.
ReformedJoe

Post by ReformedJoe »

I certainly like the large set pieces. The rocket launch was neat and there is a certain "conceptual grandeur" to the project that I wish more people would try for.

Some minor issues:
Spoiler:
All in all, I had a good time.
Doom-X-Machina

Post by Doom-X-Machina »

ReformedJoe wrote:I certainly like the large set pieces. The rocket launch was neat and there is a certain "conceptual grandeur" to the project that I wish more people would try for.

Some minor issues:
Spoiler:
All in all, I had a good time.
Hey Joe,

Thanks for checking it out and offering feedback. Very appreciated :D
Definitely trying to go for something different to the "standard Doom WAD" approach.

- That bug with the door in the airlock has already been fixed for the final release.
- Yes the framerate crunching in the control room has been an issue since the beginning and I'm still working to smoothen that out.
- Being a tech-wad there's a lot of corridors and tight-space firefights so getting them all to be unique can be a bit of a mission. But I've noted your thoughts and am going to review and see what can be done about that.

Again, thankyou for checking it out. Can't wait to have the full release finished later this year :D
Kills_Alone
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by Kills_Alone »

I was just playing the beta with a few of the addons you recommend but I've been trying to get a better frame rate so some had to go.

Here are a few things I noticed:

-The shuttle launch literally kills my fps.

-The secrets (at least the blue armor) are by the object instead of the location meaning you don't get the secret unless you actually need it, even if you walked over it.

The first map where you start, there could be a few more details to let the player know if a door is interactive or locked and because everything in the initial hallways looks the same its easy to get mixed up on which direction you've already explored.

On the second map the far wall behind the second shuttle has some crates right next to the red cable, one of those crates on the backside has its texture alignment off.

I really like the overall layout but some of these large open areas kill my fps, I need a better CPU so you know just include a better CPU for me. ;) If anyone knows of a software setting that helps with this please let me know.

I didn't really find anything that required the double jump but it was nice to have the option.

Great work so far.

Footage from my second playthrough:

BTW, I suspect the lag when the shuttle is taking off might, at least in part, be caused by all the smoke. Try a test where you disable the smoke and another where its turned on, then you can compare the FPS difference (vid_fps 1 in the console) to see if that's a factor.
Last edited by Kills_Alone on Fri Apr 10, 2020 2:34 am, edited 2 times in total.
Doom-X-Machina

Post by Doom-X-Machina »

Kills_Alone wrote:I was just playing the beta with a few of the addons you recommend but I've been trying to get a better frame rate so some had to go.

Here are a few things I noticed:

-The secrets (at least the blue armor) are by the object instead of the location meaning you don't get the secret unless you actually need it, even if you walked over it.

The first map where you start, there could be a few more details to let the player know if a door is interactive or locked and because everything in the initial hallways looks the same its easy to get mixed up on which direction you've already explored.

On the second map the far wall behind the second shuttle has some crates right next to the red cable, one of those crates on the backside has its texture alignment off.

I really like the overall layout but some of these large open areas kill my fps, I need a better CPU so you know just include a better CPU for me. ;) If anyone knows of a software setting that helps with this please let me know.

I didn't really find anything that required the double jump but it was nice to have the option.

Great work so far.
Hey Kills_Alone,

Thankyou for checking out the beta and for the feedback, much appreciated :D

The FPS drop in the shuttle launch sequence has been an issue since I started the project. It used to be twice as bad as the two shuttles were side-by-side.
That area has a lot of stuff happening, large visplane, reflective floors, a lot of moving 3D sectors, dynamic lights and fog... it's been a real battle to try to get the right balance of aethetics and functionality.
I'm still working on getting that sequence to run smoothly without compromising it too much.

Interactive doors are mostly marked with a glowing switchs in the maps (if it doesn't glow you can't open it) but not in all cases. I may have to come up with a way to make it more obvious at the beginning of MAP01. Advice noted and will see what I can do.

Secrets I'm not sure how to set to a sector or a line, only an object. I'm using UDMF format. If someone can show me how to set it to the sector I will happy fix that because that's something across the entire WAD.

Nice spot with that off-texture on the crate. Fixing now.

Yeah double-jump isn't essential but it does make getting around a little easier.

Thankyou for the feedback :D
Doom-X-Machina

Post by Doom-X-Machina »

Kills_Alone wrote:

Footage from my second playthrough:

BTW, I suspect the lag when the shuttle is taking off might, at least in part, be caused by all the smoke. Try a test where you disable the smoke and another where its turned on, then you can compare the FPS difference (vid_fps 1 in the console) to see if that's a factor.
Yours definitely suffers less than mine.

What hardware are you running?

I'm running a quad-core hyperthreaded Xeon X3470
12GB DDR3 and an AMD Radeon RX580 4GB GDDR5

Originally when both shuttles were side-by-side I'd lose all control of my system until the launch was over because it crunched so hard.
It's funny because my system runs Doom Eternal like a wet dream but trying to operate that launch script and it struggles. I don't understand it :lol:
Kills_Alone

Post by Kills_Alone »

On my first playthrough I noticed the lag at the shuttle section, I look for stuff like that and optimize settings if possible in addition to secrets and strategies for when I record. I negated some of the lag by using one of the monitors during the blunt of the lift off. My system's GPU is still pretty good but the RAM & CPU are getting tired:

AMD FX-8350 4GHz
12GB DD3 (8GB usable for some reason)
GeForce GTX 1060 6GB
Standard 4TB HDD, I record to the secondary 2TB

For this level I used GZDoom 4.3.3 like you suggested and lowered a good deal of BD settings.

If there's a command to freeze all the enemies, you could then force the player's camera to watch the take off kinda like how I used the monitor. I think the room over room technique and the shiny floors you are using is also causing the engine to lag. GZDoom doesn't handle wide open long distance sections very well, at least on my setup and anything slower.
Doom-X-Machina

Post by Doom-X-Machina »

Kills_Alone wrote: I think the room over room technique and the shiny floors you are using is also causing the engine to lag. GZDoom doesn't handle wide open long distance sections very well, at least on my setup and anything slower.
Definitely not with heavy fog either... :cry:

Unfortunately the rocket launch requires the room-over-room (3D sector) technique to work. 31 3D control sectors have to raise simultaneously to achieve
the effect. There's no other way to do it (as far as I know). But, I'm definitely going to look into reducing the use of reflective floors which should reduce the rendering
load and smoothen it out a bit. The mechanics of the rocket launch itself can't really be changed or there would be no launch at all... unless someone knows a
less taxing way to achieve the same result?

Again, thankyou for the advice and opinions. Definitely taking them onboard and will see what I can do to smoothen this out... :D
Kills_Alone

Post by Kills_Alone »

BTW, you asked about setting/activating a secret another way, you can do it via lindef but it will register if the player is also above or below so you shouldn't do so for the shuttle you can enter. Perhaps someone else knows of a better method.
Doom-X-Machina

Post by Doom-X-Machina »

Official Trailer!!

Return to “Levels”