Ventilation - my first map!

New maps, and other projects whose primary focus is new maps, belong here.

Note: This forum, and all forums below it, are not for questions or troubleshooting! Threads created here are for active projects only! If you have questions please feel free to use the Editing subforums or General forum.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
sgrwtr
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Ventilation - my first map!

Post by sgrwtr »

Hello, first of all I hope I'm not making any beginner mistakes with how I'm sharing this level. I'm still new at this. It's meant for Doom 2 running on GZdoom, my version is g4.3.3 Which I guess that is pretty important because this map uses a lot of features exclusive to the source port such as 3d floors.

Like it says in the title this is my first map. I wanted to try and make a map with some replay value by making use of multiple paths to the same objective. As you might guess based on the title, the trope of exploitable vents seen in games like half life plays a big part. Let me know what you think and have fun! I'd say this level is 99% complete but I could see myself tweaking a few things based on the response. I certainly had a lot of fun making this map and I'm super exited to make more.

[imgur]https://imgur.com/a/vxrLN29[/imgur]
[imgur]https://imgur.com/a/4qua3hk[/imgur]

download

https://www.mediafire.com/file/xtu74it9 ... n.wad/file
Caleb13

Re: Ventilation - my first map!

Post by Caleb13 »

Holy shit, this is truly your first map? If so, you did an amazing job, I liked the 3D puzzles/obstacles. But they're also why the map plays rather slow and is somewhat confusing. You should have mentioned the map requires jumping and crouching, it took me quite a while to realize it. I run out of ammo in the red key area, mainly because of the various spawned monsters (is it possible to get the plasmagun somehow?). And I didn't like the invisible monsters, but fortunately you used them sparingly. I think there may be some scripting bug with two adjacent lifts in the blue key area if you use bottom and then switches in "incorrect" order. There are also lots of misaligned textures all around the map.
sgrwtr

Post by sgrwtr »

Thanks for the feedback, Caleb! All the points you brought up are valid ones. I should have mentioned that jumping and crouching play a big part here. As someone who's a relative newcomer to the game It's easy for me to forget that it's not exactly the norm to make use of them in this engine. The red key area really could use some more resources. My idea was to try and keep it sparse to encourage people to go back and get the plasma gun, but there's just a lot going on in that area so I can see it getting frustrating there. Also speaking of jumping, that's how you grab the plasmagun if you go into that room from the front. But a much easier way to get it is if you enter that room from behind via the elevator from the Cacodemon vents area or red key b route. I kind of like most of the invisible enemies since a lot of them are close enough to a night vision in my opinion, the one I completely agree on though is the Archvile, who I didn't mean to make invisible at all. Fixed that for a future version. Is the scripting bug on the elevators you're talking about when the lift sound just plays indefinitely? I'll have to look into how to fix that. But if that's what you're talking about now I'm noticing it. And yeah the misaligned textures are just walls I totally missed. I planned to just lay everything out and then go back later and fix all the textures, but There's a ton I missed doing it this way. Next time I'll get them all straight on my first pass before moving on to hopefully make things cleaner in that regard.

Thanks so much again for playing my map. I've only messed around with the valve hammer editor a bit in my earlier years. Never made something close to complete with it though. This has been my first actual level of something I've ever made and it feels good to have made something that people can play for the first time in my life.
Caleb13

Post by Caleb13 »

Oh, so only the elevator sound plays indefinitely? I was actually worried the game would crash, it used to do that when elevators moved outside the engine's limits. It happened because I used bottom switches, then walked around, climbed the "stairs" and used the upper switches. I never actually rode the elevators.

Please don't forget to attach the info text file when you properly release the map, like other WAD authors do. And don't forget to mention jumping and crouching is needed. In the meantime, you could start a thread for your map on Doomworld, you will probably find more eager playtesters there:

https://www.doomworld.com/forum/4-wads-mods/
sgrwtr

Post by sgrwtr »

Hey guys. Thought I'd just post my new map in this thread instead of taking up two spots on the front page. Check it out.

https://www.mediafire.com/file/6wd4dxq0 ... e.rar/file

This one was made for a project on doomworld with certain requirements so it was a lot more limited, but it was also fun to try a new challenge. This one is boom compatible though and no jumping or crouching is needed.

Screenshots

https://imgur.com/a/ossiuCc
Camper125Lv

Post by Camper125Lv »

Played and loved it, kinda easy but lovely. Sadly i realized too late that jumping is required.
Vid:

Return to “Levels”