Impending Doom

New maps, and other projects whose primary focus is new maps, belong here.

NOTE: This forum, and all forums below it, are NOT for questions or troubleshooting! Threads here are for active projects only! Please use the Editing subforums or General for questions.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are ONLY for YOUR PROJECTS! If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.

Impending Doom

Postby Agentbromsnor » Thu Mar 12, 2020 9:17 pm

This is a 1 level Boom compatible WAD I've been working on roughly between 2015 to 2020. I was planning to turn this into a MegaWAD at some point, but that turned out to be a little bit too ambitious.
Thus, I put all of my effort into making this one map as good as can get it.

It's a Doom 1-ish style level (though with more detail added). As I said it's a Boom map, which means I've mostly play-tested this with PrBoom+. However, I've also played it in GZDoom and it runs just fine with that too!

Info:
- Simple MAP01 replacement
- All difficulties are implemented
- Custom music by EvilDraggie
- Uses textures taken from Community Chest 4
- 4 player co-op support
- 6 player deathmatch support

Thanks to Waterkonijn for helping with play-testing!

Screenshots:
Spoiler:

Download:
http://www.mediafire.com/file/8qe34qtkd ... g.wad/file

Enjoy! Please let me know what you think of it, and if you think there's room for improvement.
Alternatively, I have no life so if you're looking for level-designers for your project / MegaWAD etc. just let me know! :)
Last edited by Agentbromsnor on Sat Mar 14, 2020 4:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Agentbromsnor

Re: Impending Doom

Postby GiraffeMan » Thu Mar 12, 2020 10:59 pm

Oh dear... You have spent 5 years making this map??? Have you done any other sort of projects in the meantime, or was this heavily procrastinated on?
That aside, it's a good map. Nice and solid, pretty, and it flows well. I like it. Too bad you weren't able to make a Megawad out of it though... :(
I hope you complete things faster and release more projects in the future. Man, I wonder how it feels to have 5 years of work into just one map.
GiraffeMan

Postby Agentbromsnor » Thu Mar 12, 2020 11:12 pm

GiraffeMan wrote:Oh dear... You have spent 5 years making this map??? Have you done any other sort of projects in the meantime, or was this heavily procrastinated on?
That aside, it's a good map. Nice and solid, pretty, and it flows well. I like it. Too bad you weren't able to make a Megawad out of it though... :(
I hope you complete things faster and release more projects in the future. Man, I wonder how it feels to have 5 years of work into just one map.

Well, I didn't spend 5 years developing it haha. It mostly just sat on my harddrive, doing nothing.

I have a bunch of other levels from that same time period which I've also shelved, so if everything goes well and people enjoy Impending Doom I'm thinking of polishing and releasing those too!

I'm very glad you enjoyed it! I spent most of my free time yesterday debugging it.

When it comes to MegWADs: I would love to work on one again but I'm thinking it might be better to do so with a team or a partner. :D
Agentbromsnor

Postby Agentbromsnor » Sat Mar 14, 2020 4:16 pm

Update time!

I've updated the download link in the opening post to a new version of the map, which changes a few minor things based on player feedback:
- Made a few secrets slightly less obscure
- Added a few more monsters to spice up the difficulty a bit, mostly for UV
- Added some monsters to the blue key room (honestly, what was I thinking by not doing so before?)
- I moved a bunch of monsters around in the green switch room because it was common for a zombie or imp to get stuck in the secret room
- Added some armor and health bonuses

I hope this improves the map some.
Agentbromsnor

Postby Kills_Alone » Tue Mar 17, 2020 9:12 pm

Pretty solid level, lookin' forward to your Parallel Doomensions project. Some footage with BD & XVME:
Kills_Alone

Operating System: Windows 10/8.1/8/201x 64-bit
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Postby Agentbromsnor » Wed Mar 18, 2020 5:10 am

Kills_Alone wrote:Pretty solid level, lookin' forward to your Parallel Doomensions project. Some footage with BD & XVME:

Hey, thanks a lot!

I love watching videos, they're like demo replays to me.
Agentbromsnor

Return to Levels