MooD

New maps, and other projects whose primary focus is new maps, belong here.

NOTE: This forum, and all forums below it, are NOT for questions or troubleshooting! Threads here are for active projects only! Please use the Editing subforums or General for questions.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are ONLY for YOUR PROJECTS! If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.

MooD

Postby DeXiaZ » Sat Feb 29, 2020 10:36 am

Hi there. Today is not an usual day. The day, which doesn't exist few years in a row. But I hope, you're reading this text in a good mood, because...
I have an another one mod which can be defined as "Cognitive Dissonance Doom".
Not so cheezy as DooD, not so freaky as DooW. But still, sometimes, mind blowing MooD.

If you will look at the mirror, you will see the flipped world. But what if you'll dive into this? Well, ordinary things become unfamiliar...with this mod, Doom become Mood.

And I offer you to relive the ordinary experience in a new way. 171 maps: Doom I, II, TNT, Plutonia, Sigil, The Master Levels, NRFTL. All of them are reversed, flipped.

Test your memory here.

At present time requires GZDoom.
DeXiaZ

Re: MooD

Postby Korell » Sun Mar 01, 2020 2:46 pm

Just given this a try. It's amazing just how weird it is to be playing the Doom levels I know, but reversed. They feel so strange.

Anyway, just two things I've noticed from my playthrough of Knee Deep in the Dead:

Firstly, on finishing a level an error about missing music D_INTER (the intermission music) happens. This might be because I played using the Doom 2 IWAD, though, considering that the Doom 2 campaign is part of this mod so it will need the Doom 2 specific enemies.

Secondly, some of the mirrored textures aren't quite right, such as the EXIT sign and the exit doors (which instead of being mirrored, seem to be split apart and then mirrored so that the centre becomes the edge) and some of the wall textures not tiling well (such as the hexagonal wall texture). This may just be a side-effect of the mirroring of the map and textures, but I would have thought it possible to adjust them to mirror correctly.
Korell

Postby DeXiaZ » Sun Mar 01, 2020 11:42 pm

Thanks for the comment!

Well:
1) How do you run it with Doom 2 IWAD? This mod is FORCED to run with Doom 1 IWAD only. It is defined in GAMEINFO lump. Or does you run it not with GZDoom?
2) About mirroring maps - it's not UDMF maps, so the alignment is not easy to redo. As I mentioned in readme file, I said in known bugs about misalignment textures. The most critical aspects like Icon of Sin textures I had to fix, all other textures I left as is.
DeXiaZ

Postby Korell » Mon Mar 02, 2020 6:07 am

DeXiaZ wrote:Thanks for the comment!

Well:
1) How do you run it with Doom 2 IWAD? This mod is FORCED to run with Doom 1 IWAD only. It is defined in GAMEINFO lump. Or does you run it not with GZDoom?
2) About mirroring maps - it's not UDMF maps, so the alignment is not easy to redo. As I mentioned in readme file, I said in known bugs about misalignment textures. The most critical aspects like Icon of Sin textures I had to fix, all other textures I left as is.

I use a batch script to launch GZDoom, select the IWAD and PWAD(s), config file, etc. I hadn't noticed that this mod was for the Doom 1 IWAD, and most mods tend to be for Doom 2 IWADs. Have you put the Doom 2 specific enemies and the Super Shotgun into the mod itself, then?

It's mainly the exit door and sign that is the noticeable misalignment. But maybe it will be fine with the Doom 1 IWAD? I'll give it a try later on.
Korell

Postby Korell » Mon Mar 02, 2020 5:03 pm

Okay, tried with the Doom 1 IWAD. The missing music file is now sorted as it is a Doom 1 music file, but those broken exit sign and door textures are still present.

Giving the Doom 2 levels a try I noticed that the Super Shotgun is still present, and checking the PK3 in SLADE I can see that you have Doom 2 assets inside it (the Doom 2 monsters and the Super Shotgun, etc.), explaining why it works with the Doom 1 IWAD.
Korell

Postby skdursh » Mon Mar 02, 2020 8:23 pm

I am almost certain I have seen a mod released before that does exactly this.

Yeah, it's right here. Came out in 2016. It's called MooD. https://www.moddb.com/mods/mood

You're 4 years too late and you took their name.

There is also an even older one that reverses Knee Deep in the Dead. That one was called mooddoom. So you're like... more than 4 years too late.

Subversion r1109 of Chocolate Doom also reversed all levels loaded with it https://github.com/chocolate-doom/choco ... dd637308b0.
Last edited by skdursh on Mon Mar 02, 2020 8:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
skdursh

Postby jdredalert » Mon Mar 02, 2020 8:44 pm

skdursh wrote:I am almost certain I have seen a mod released before that does exactly this.

Yeah, it's right here. Came out in 2016. It's called MooD. https://www.moddb.com/mods/mood

You're 4 years too late and you took their name.

There is also an even older one that reverses Knee Deep in the Dead. That one was called mooddoom. So you're like... more than 4 years too late.

Subversion r1109 of Chocolate Doom also reversed all levels loaded with it.

What confuses me most is that DeXiaZ himself was present in the comment section of the mod you just linked saying that "there is an old program called "mood.exe" and it can REVERSE EVERY DOOM 1/2 WAD. So your mod is nothing but a result of "mood.exe" using".

But i'm not here to say that he stole their idea. As far as i know the devs could have just gave up and he took over the project years later, so i'm willing to give him enough credit for that.
jdredalert
Doom, until the end.

Postby skdursh » Mon Mar 02, 2020 8:49 pm

jdredalert wrote:
What confuses me most is that DeXiaZ himself was present in the comment section of the mod you just linked saying that "there is an old program called "mood.exe" and it can REVERSE EVERY DOOM 1/2 WAD. So your mod is nothing but a result of "mood.exe" using".

But i'm not here to say that he stole their idea. As far as i know the devs could have just gave up and he took over the project years later, so i'm willing to give him enough credit for that.

Good eye. I didn't even notice that comment until you mentioned it. I think DeXiaZ should probably do some explaining. I also came across a DoomWorld post saying that Warm node-builder allowed you to mirror levels after the nodes were built using the -flip command as well and it's likely others can do the same.
skdursh

Postby Korell » Tue Mar 03, 2020 3:20 pm

There's also this mod: viewtopic.php?f=43&t=65494&hilit=mirrored&start=30
This seems like a better solution as this mod contains no commercial assets or modified maps, instead it does the mirroring via code and is just 5 KB in size.
Korell

Postby skdursh » Tue Mar 03, 2020 5:50 pm

Korell wrote:There's also this mod: viewtopic.php?f=43&t=65494&hilit=mirrored&start=30
This seems like a better solution as this mod contains no commercial assets or modified maps, instead it does the mirroring via code and is just 5 KB in size.

Thanks for the link. I KNEW I had seen this mod before as well but just couldn't remember what it was called.
skdursh

Postby Kills_Alone » Wed Mar 11, 2020 12:11 am

Fun, hope you find the time to fix the exit and door textures.
Kills_Alone

Operating System: Windows 10/8.1/8/201x 64-bit
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Postby GiraffeMan » Wed Mar 11, 2020 2:51 am

I can feel it... somethings not right... oh, dear lord... it all makes sense now... this feels wrong. :cry: :cry: :cry:
GiraffeMan

Return to Levels