Royal Ocean

New maps, and other projects whose primary focus is new maps, belong here.

NOTE: This forum, and all forums below it, are NOT for questions or troubleshooting! Threads here are for active projects only! Please use the Editing subforums or General for questions.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are ONLY for YOUR PROJECTS! If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.

Royal Ocean

Postby PaniniDeluxe » Mon Feb 10, 2020 8:12 pm

Hello, it's me again, with another classic style episode for Doom 1, this time replacing Episode 3: Inferno.
Named after a Dance Gavin Dance album, this a sort of sequel to WYWS. This time I've actually bothered to name every level.
Hopefully this wad is better and more enjoyable than my last.

Download: https://www.dropbox.com/s/x07e4t71pt9wig7/RO.wad?dl=1

Screenshots:
Spoiler:

Credits:
Sky Textures - id Software
Music - midimelody

[edit - Fixed image links - Enjay ]
PaniniDeluxe

Re: Royal Ocean

Postby Enjay » Tue Feb 11, 2020 2:28 pm

I'm looking forward to playing this. By pure coincidence, I replayed WYWS last night. It's a great little "oldschool" mapset with maps that are small enough to finish reasonably quickly and thereby help keep the interest going as you progress through the episode.

[edit] And indeed it was good fun, just like its predecessor.

The mapping is a bit more detailed but you kept the same charm and "fun-sized" maps as with WYWS. Progression, pacing everything was really enjoyable for a map set of this type and it's just what Doom has always been about. I even found the secret map on my first run through. I did notice that the big impassible window that opens later on glitches visually in a few places though (possibly only in hardware?). That didn't really affect gameplay though. I'll definitely keep this one around for a bit of coffee break Dooming. :thumb: [/edit]
Enjay
Everyone is a moon, and has a dark side which he never shows to anybody. Twain

Postby leodoom85 » Tue Feb 11, 2020 6:10 pm

Well, did a video of the whole episode. The playthrough was done with Supercharge, a mod that was originally made for Paradise, a mapset for Doom 2.
As Enjay said, it works perfectly for a coffee break time if you have enough of harder maps. I did it all blind but took an aggressive approach to it, making the episode in less than 50 minutes.
Fun mapset m8 :)

PS: Video incoming soon.
PS2: Video here:
leodoom85
Dodge this.....
Banned User

Discord: leodoom85#6202

Postby PaniniDeluxe » Tue Feb 11, 2020 11:18 pm

Enjay wrote:I'm looking forward to playing this. By pure coincidence, I replayed WYWS last night. It's a great little "oldschool" mapset with maps that are small enough to finish reasonably quickly and thereby help keep the interest going as you progress through the episode.

[edit] And indeed it was good fun, just like its predecessor.

The mapping is a bit more detailed but you kept the same charm and "fun-sized" maps as with WYWS. Progression, pacing everything was really enjoyable for a map set of this type and it's just what Doom has always been about. I even found the secret map on my first run through. I did notice that the big impassible window that opens later on glitches visually in a few places though (possibly only in hardware?). That didn't really affect gameplay though. I'll definitely keep this one around for a bit of coffee break Dooming. :thumb: [/edit]

If I remember correctly, the visual bugs are cause by how opengl handles untextured walls. The same issue is present in TNT, which is where I got the idea from.
But anyways, thank you, I'm glad you dug the wad. Also thanks for fixing the imgur links, I still don't know how to get them to work on my own.

leodoom85 wrote:Well, did a video of the whole episode. The playthrough was done with Supercharge, a mod that was originally made for Paradise, a mapset for Doom 2.
As Enjay said, it works perfectly for a coffee break time if you have enough of harder maps. I did it all blind but took an aggressive approach to it, making the episode in less than 50 minutes.
Fun mapset m8 :)

PS: Video incoming soon.
PS2: Video here:

The video is really cool, I'm glad it works with all sorts of gameplay mods. Also thanks for pointing out the gate on map2, I somehow forgot to set that as impassable, I'll fix that asap.
PaniniDeluxe

Return to Levels