[GZDoom] Unfamiliar Episode III: Circles of Hell

New maps, and other projects whose primary focus is new maps, belong here.

NOTE: This forum, and all forums below it, are NOT for questions or troubleshooting! Threads here are for active projects only! Please use the Editing subforums or General for questions.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are ONLY for YOUR PROJECTS! If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.

E3M7 - The Tombs of Despair

Postby Chief Smokey » Wed Jul 28, 2021 7:48 pm

Chief Smokey

Discord: Chief Smokey#8351

E3M8 - The Lair of The Abomination

Postby Chief Smokey » Wed Aug 11, 2021 3:56 pm

Chief Smokey

E3M9 - The Bastille of Corruption

Postby Chief Smokey » Sat Aug 14, 2021 3:47 pm

Episode III is almost ready to go. Some final testing and bug fixing is all that's needed and then Episode III along with updated episodes I and II will be released.

Chief Smokey

Episode III released!

Postby Chief Smokey » Mon Aug 23, 2021 1:55 pm

Well after 6-7 months of work, I present to you Unfamiliar Episode III: Circles of Hell.

Along with 9 new maps practically made from scratch (very little of the original maps remain in any form), there have been updates to Episodes I and II to bring them further into the new style.

As always, play in GZDoom with dynamic lights enabled and the sector light mode changed to Doom or Dark for the best experience.

DOWNLOAD:

https://www.mediafire.com/file/s4bry1wfwjptcld/UF_EP3.zip/file
https://www.dropbox.com/s/wmvw7qrsd75v2bh/UF_EP3.zip?dl=0

Last edited by Chief Smokey on Thu Aug 26, 2021 7:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chief Smokey

Re: [GZDoom] Unfamiliar Episode III: Circles of Hell

Postby m1lk » Mon Aug 23, 2021 7:29 pm

thank you for episode 3. I enjoyed the Redux as well.
m1lk

Operating System: Mac OS X 10.8 or later
OS Test Version: No (Using Stable Public Version)
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD (Modern GZDoom)

Postby Void Warrior » Thu Aug 26, 2021 3:56 pm

Just an awesome job! I don't recognize the original DOOM at all! Only a couple of revenge and then with difficulty. In my opinion, it pulls on a Cacowards.

Tell me, are there any plans to rethink the fourth episode or Circles of Hell the finale of your work?
Void Warrior

Operating System: Windows 10/8.1/8/201x 64-bit

Postby Chief Smokey » Thu Aug 26, 2021 7:24 pm

Void Warrior wrote:Tell me, are there any plans to rethink the fourth episode or Circles of Hell the finale of your work?

You'll have to beat Episode III to get an answer for that. I won't spoil anything.
Chief Smokey

Postby NightFright » Fri Aug 27, 2021 3:54 am

After holding back my playthrough since I wanted to wait for a more complete presentation, I couldn't delay it any longer and started jumping into episode one. All I can say is this: A powerful, highly competent and mesmerizingly colorful reimagination of the original Doom maps. Must have taken tons of effort to get it to this level of visual perfection, and the result is what I would call "Beautiful Doom" - in its purest and most essential meaning.

There's a small visual glitch with floor-aligned warning light sprites (FloorLantern_Animated, FRLFA/FRLTA) which jump up and down when animated, floating above ground without animation:

It can be fixed by cutting the 5 pixel wide part underneath the lamp base in FRLTA (see attachment). Ceiling lamp (FRLTC) suffers from a similar problem, but clips into the ceiling instead. Fix is the same.
On top of that, sprite offsets need to be changed: FRLFA (11, 21) and FRLTA (27, 24).
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
NightFright
Spotlight Team

Postby Void Warrior » Sat Aug 28, 2021 12:28 am

Chief Smokey, when I was going through Episode 2, I came across this elevator bug on E2M4:

https://sun9-16.userapi.com/impg/fi7JVM ... type=album

He just took and fell below the limit. It was fun, of course, but the bug is critical.
Void Warrior

Operating System: Windows 10/8.1/8/201x 64-bit

Postby m1lk » Tue Aug 31, 2021 5:02 am

thank you for Ep 3. im playing through again from the very beginning. love the details, and how the map flows onto the next.
m1lk

Operating System: Mac OS X 10.8 or later
OS Test Version: No (Using Stable Public Version)
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD (Modern GZDoom)

Postby Bofubutt » Thu Sep 16, 2021 9:55 am

The attention to detail is amazing, and the combat encounters feel challenging without being cheap. But Episode III just has way, way, way too many surprise instakill crushers. They aren't an obstacle, they're something that makes me lose minutes' worth of progress at a moment's notice if I haven't quicksaved. There are also a lot of timed doors in Episode III that only open once, such as the red key door in E3M5 or the very first door in E3M3, which is a huge issue.

Also, I got stuck in a secret in E3M3 (I think - it was the map where you have blue keys and red keys). There was a secret that was halfway up a lift on one of the walls, but if the lift raises while you're in the secret, there's no way to lower it again.

Definitely loving the overall feel and aesthetic. This pairs well with Project Brutality, and I'm gonna run through it with DRLA and see how that goes, too.
Bofubutt

In regards to bugs

Postby Chief Smokey » Thu Sep 16, 2021 12:36 pm

So I have been keeping tabs on bug reports and I intend to release a patch after enough have piled up. I've been fixing them more or less ASAP after getting the news so its just a matter of finding a time when there's a thorough and worthwhile amount of fixes, instead of having to constantly recompile the build and reset the download links when someone finds one elevator linedef I forgot to set to repeatable action or something like that.
Chief Smokey

Previous

Return to Levels