Zygomatic - Just a (sort of) Speed Map

New maps, and other projects whose primary focus is new maps, belong here.

Note: This forum, and all forums below it, are not for questions or troubleshooting! Threads created here are for active projects only! If you have questions please feel free to use the Editing subforums or General forum.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Enjay

Zygomatic - Just a (sort of) Speed Map

Post by Enjay »

I was supposed to go to a friend's house for a meal tonight. A second friend called and wanted to go out but because of the arrangement with the first friend, I said no. Then my first friend called to say everyone in their house was ill with the flu and the meal was off. So, I called my second friend but he'd already made other plans.

Why is this relevant? Well, at something of an unexpected loose end, I decided to quickly throw a map together to give myself a chance to play around with UDB a bit more thoroughly and with a bit more purpose than just testing it. UDB performed brilliantly. There were no issues whatsoever that I am aware of.

The map is nothing special; just a couple of rooms really; if that. I think the editing time was somewhere between 3 and 4 hours (it probably shouldn't even have taken that long to be fair, it's not big). It shouldn't take much longer than 5 minutes to complete it with 100 kills, 100 Items, 100 Secrets.

Worth releasing? Meh... maybe? Maybe not.

Why Zygomatic? Honestly, I couldn't think of a name and the map has a lot of MARBLE3 on the walls. MARBLE3 features skulls, the zygomatic process is a bone of the skull with a cool name...

Screenshot:

Download
http://aspectsweb.co.uk/enjay/doom/njzygo.pk3 (a massive 100 KB)

Details
Description: Just a very small map. Not much more than a room really. Marble, metal and rock theme.

New levels: 1 (MAP01)
Sounds: No
Music: No (but changed using MAPINFO)
Graphics: No
Dehacked/BEX Patch: No
Demos: No
Other: MAPINFO
Other files required: None

Game: Doom 2
Single Player: Designed for
Cooperative 2-4 Player: Start spots added but not balanced
Deathmatch 2-4 Player: No
Difficulty Settings: Yes, implemented

Base: New from scratch
Build Time: ~3.5 hoours
Editor(s) used: Ultimate Doom Builder (plus Textpad for the MAPINFO)
May Not Run With: Anything other than GZDoom
Tested With: GZDoom 4.2.4 official and g4.3pre-546-g738b9ceb0
Bugs: None known about - doesn't mean they don't exist though.
_mental_

Re: Zygomatic - Just a (sort of) Speed Map

Post by _mental_ »

It's pretty cool small map. I didn't find any issues except the "switch" to the rocket launcher secret was really obscure.
Waiting for more maps, or even a MegaWAD, next year.
Dancso

Post by Dancso »

Funnily enough, the rocket launcher secret is the only one I've found. I felt like getting the chaingun was a bit unimpressive after already possessing the SSG, though I'll have to say the amount of ammo was just enough overall, so it was good to have in place of a pistol. :P I liked the red-glowing wall effects.
The level was a pretty good fit for my morning coffeetime. Thanks!
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

Thanks for playing and for the feedback. It's appreciated :)

On the criticisms, both are kind of expected or as planned to a certain extent:

The RL secret, I did think myself that it felt more obscure than the others but I didn't just want to make it just another "that texture is different, it must be a door" kind of secret (especially as the RL is quite valuable). So I marked it in the same way that all the secrets in the map are*[see spoiler] and put a matching (albeit not very stand-out, especially in that dark area) texture in an almost direct 180 position from the marked door.

*[Concerning Hobbits Secrets]
Spoiler:
On the chaingun, I get what you are saying about it but the main reason to be in that area is to get the red key. The chaingun is just meant to be a weapon that you find along the way and guarded by a slightly tougher enemy. It's not a secret or anything and it was just put in for exactly the purpose that you identified; the player is probably going to need something that throws bullets around quite quickly soon. So, I agree, it probably is a bit unimpressive, but it wasn't particularly meant to be impressive either, just useful. ;)

Every now and again I like to be able to play a small map as a 5 minute distraction before getting on with the mundane duties of real life. So, I'm glad it filled that "coffee time" niche. :)
Kills_Alone
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by Kills_Alone »

Hey, Y'all Got Anymore of Them Tasty Maps? /NERVOUS TWITCHING INTENSIFIES

Enjay

Post by Enjay »

Thanks for posting that. Much appreciated.

Nicely played too. :yup:
Darkcrafter
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Darkcrafter »

Judging by the video, the map looks and plays amazing.

Return to “Levels”