The Great War: 1916 | The Western Front

New maps, and other projects whose primary focus is new maps, belong here.

Note: This forum, and all forums below it, are not for questions or troubleshooting! Threads created here are for active projects only! If you have questions please feel free to use the Editing subforums or General forum.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
ZikShadow

The Great War: 1916 | The Western Front

Post by ZikShadow »

DESCRIPTION:

This map was originally from Dr. Crushcup's unfinished mod, The Great War: 1916. I decided to try scavenging the surviving map in order to play it both in vanilla and with gameplay mods, adding in minor additions here and there. Proper player (along with coop) starts, enemy placements (only former humans, no demons), ambient sound point, some health and armor pickups, barbed wire decorations, occasional void texture fixes, and probably some other stuff I missed. Figured why not release it as well for others to play?

Difficulty enemy count difference is only between UV and HMP, with UV having +300 and HMP +200. I tried keeping to the spirit of the map by limiting as much pickups as possible, only really having the majority of them be in your side of the trenches. Hopefully it'll encourage taking cover in the trenches, taking potshots, and occasionally retreating before advancing again.

Used Hidden and Dangerous 2's soundtrack for the music, slowed down and low passed significantly so as to lessen the loop feel when running with slower mods like Hideous Destructor. Also, while not included in this map's files, I did made a WW1 weapons sprite set for HDest aeons back. The two combined might just make for a better overall feel for it.

Some notes:
- Without any obvious locations to end the map in, I've placed the end trigger in the other trench's medic bunker, just approach the one medkit in the enemy trenches to call it in.
- This map's pretty big. Coupled with 300-ish enemies shooting at you, and the performance might drop a notch. Not much that I can do without cutting up the map or putting some distracting structures in no man's land, unfortunately.
- There's probably going to be some texture errors still. Some of them I'm not even sure how to fix. Terribly sorry about those.
- The enemy trenches have areas whose ceiling z-fights. Not sure how to fix those as well.

DOWNLOAD:

Go over the top! Make the push!

SCREENSHOTS:
Spoiler:

VIDEOS:
Spoiler:

CREDITS:
Spoiler:
GiraffeMan

Re: The Great War: 1916 | The Western Front

Post by GiraffeMan »

Amazing map, nice brown colors, cool and vast looking hills and stuff, the map itself is overall pretty stellar.

While the map itself is pretty good, it could use some wayyy better enemy placement. Replace the Zombiemen with Wolfenstein SS dudes or Chaingunners. More Chaingunners would really capture the fear and trench feel of WW1, and you wouldn't be running like a dumbass across no man's land throughout the entire thing. I couldn't really get a kick out of it unless playing on Nightmare.

Anyway, so far it's lookin' pretty rad, and I'm lookin' forward to seein' what you do with this.

Return to “Levels”