Hexen: Cult of Despair - A WoC campaign (1.3A Version)

New maps, and other projects whose primary focus is new maps, belong here.

NOTE: This forum, and all forums below it, are NOT for questions or troubleshooting! Threads here are for active projects only! Please use the Editing subforums or General for questions.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are ONLY for YOUR PROJECTS! If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.

Re: Hexen: Cult of Despair - A WoC campaign (1.3A Version)

Postby Nightgaunt » Mon Apr 05, 2021 3:20 am

I also noticed that the on moddb there's a 3.14 recently added.
So, is it an officially release?
Nightgaunt

Postby Exeor » Sat Apr 10, 2021 5:58 pm

Nightgaunt wrote:I also noticed that the on moddb there's a 3.14 recently added.
So, is it an officially release?

I think it is more about an early build than an official release, also checked that Tethis fixed that visual bug where the Swamp Stalker Leader used the Ice Stalker sprites in that build, so nice!

By the way, I have been working in some minor details to make the whole experience better: The Zombie Fodder enemy now uses a different color palette (credits to Project Malice!), since the Necromancer class has a skill in the conjuror path where it can summon an ally zombie after killing a monster with the same sprites, this can make it confusing to tell enemy zombies from friendly ones, specially in some areas like the Horror Grotto, so this was the result:
On the left the enemy version with the new sprites and on the right the allied version of the necromancer:

As a silly immersion, there are now more villagers walking around the towns, and they will attack you if you hit them (as in Strife) so be good and don't do anything to them! :P

https://gyazo.com/a726ed91e2255dcbae47157180ea912d
Exeor
Why do we all have to wear these ridiculous ties?

Postby Nightgaunt » Sun Apr 11, 2021 1:01 am

This is shaping up as the real Hexen III, looks great Exeor, as usual! :D

Anyway, I found a very old build of your campaign installed on a old PC I restored.
I played around a bit and it was already very good.
I do not want to try the new build, I'd hate to have spoilers! :D

My only gripes were:
1) The starting town music...that was a bit too cheesy, almost tavern-like. I think a very gloomy/dark ambient music would be more suited, where's the DESPAIR? :wink:

About the music, I encourage you again to contact this YouTube guy, check out this Ice Grotto remix, it would make an AWESOME dungeon music:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=djZaXaECDq4

2) This is WoC related, I noticed the horrendous World of Warcraft icons in the leveling up menu look so low resolution even on 1920x1080, is there a problem on my side?

By the way, I heard the cultists have modified Blood's cultists voice-lines, that was a cool touch 8-)
Nightgaunt

Postby Exeor » Sun Apr 11, 2021 8:29 am

Nightgaunt wrote:This is shaping up as the real Hexen III, looks great Exeor, as usual! :D

Anyway, I found a very old build of your campaign installed on a old PC I restored.
I played around a bit and it was already very good.
I do not want to try the new build, I'd hate to have spoilers! :D

My only gripes were:
1) The starting town music...that was a bit too cheesy, almost tavern-like. I think a very gloomy/dark ambient music would be more suited, where's the DESPAIR? :wink:

About the music, I encourage you again to contact this YouTube guy, check out this Ice Grotto remix, it would make an AWESOME dungeon music:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=djZaXaECDq4

2) This is WoC related, I noticed the horrendous World of Warcraft icons in the leveling up menu look so low resolution even on 1920x1080, is there a problem on my side?

By the way, I heard the cultists have modified Blood's cultists voice-lines, that was a cool touch 8-)

Yeah, in the current build there is a new music for that town (from Demon's Crest game), I think the organ fits better for the mysterious ambience of the world instead of a happy and cozy music from final fantasy 4. I have plans to add some music from Castlevania 64 or Bloodstained too.
That guy makes really good remixes, I want to use the Ice Grotto and Shadow Wood remixes in the future for some areas :wink:
Yep, the WoW icons have a low resolution but it never bothered me too much.
Those cultists appear in doom when playing with the WoC patch, in the original they replaced zombieman, shotgunners and chaingunners (I slightly changed some of their stats for Cult of Despair, but they act pretty much the same). But yeah, it is funny how they talk with the Blood quotes with a lower tone :D
Exeor
Why do we all have to wear these ridiculous ties?

Postby Colerx » Sun Apr 11, 2021 9:21 am

Exeor wrote:
By the way, I have been working in some minor details to make the whole experience better: The Zombie Fodder enemy now uses a different color palette (credits to Project Malice!), since the Necromancer class has a skill in the conjuror path where it can summon an ally zombie after killing a monster with the same sprites, this can make it confusing to tell enemy zombies from friendly ones, specially in some areas like the Horror Grotto, so this was the result:
On the left the enemy version with the new sprites and on the right the allied version of the necromancer:
----
As a silly immersion, there are now more villagers walking around the towns, and they will attack you if you hit them (as in Strife) so be good and don't do anything to them! :P

https://gyazo.com/a726ed91e2255dcbae47157180ea912d

I didn't notice this!! lol I like them!!! :D
Colerx

Previous

Return to Levels