GERMS [3 Episode ZDoom Megawad] *17/03* UPDATE

New maps, and other projects whose primary focus is new maps, belong here.

Note: This forum, and all forums below it, are not for questions or troubleshooting! Threads created here are for active projects only! If you have questions please feel free to use the Editing subforums or General forum.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Turin Turambar
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Re: GERMS *08/10 FIX*

Post by Turin Turambar »

In this map (it was map 9 in the previous version, at least), I'm not sure how to advance.
https://i.imgur.com/RoeE9qZ.jpg
I have the yellow key but I couldn't find the trigger where to use it. By noclipping, I know I have to open up this bars first. But the switch is on the interior side. I could pass by crouching but that would be cheating obviously...
from the other side I cannot pass through here to reach it.
https://i.imgur.com/UPfgcUJ.png

In general, the mapset has some flow problems. Like the final switch that frees some Cyberdemons in the previous map in the final combat arena, it wasn't that particularly visible. Or in some levels there is a switch that open up a door for x seconds in some other room and it isn't clear what's happening (nor there is a clue to guide the player). Or textures that are doors and it isn't clear so you can miss it, it may seem obvious to you as you created it, but even if it has that side metal bars, it's a big level and it may not be obvious to the player. I would add a pair of flame posts flanking it.
https://i.imgur.com/6m2y7da.jpg

Or perhaps the most puzzling design choice, you use color codes switches in a totally different way that most creators do: instead of indicating that switch can only be used once you get a red or yello or blue key, it's a switch that can be used without keys and it means it will activate something that will help you in getting that color key.
zVOITTO

Post by zVOITTO »

Turin Turambar wrote:In this map (it was map 9 in the previous version, at least), I'm not sure how to advance.
https://i.imgur.com/RoeE9qZ.jpg
I have the yellow key but I couldn't find the trigger where to use it. By noclipping, I know I have to open up this bars first. But the switch is on the interior side. I could pass by crouching but that would be cheating obviously...
from the other side I cannot pass through here to reach it.
https://i.imgur.com/UPfgcUJ.png

In general, the mapset has some flow problems. Like the final switch that frees some Cyberdemons in the previous map in the final combat arena, it wasn't that particularly visible. Or in some levels there is a switch that open up a door for x seconds in some other room and it isn't clear what's happening (nor there is a clue to guide the player). Or textures that are doors and it isn't clear so you can miss it, it may seem obvious to you as you created it, but even if it has that side metal bars, it's a big level and it may not be obvious to the player. I would add a pair of flame posts flanking it.
https://i.imgur.com/6m2y7da.jpg

Or perhaps the most puzzling design choice, you use color codes switches in a totally different way that most creators do: instead of indicating that switch can only be used once you get a red or yello or blue key, it's a switch that can be used without keys and it means it will activate something that will help you in getting that color key.
Have you pressed the switch near the crusher in Map09? that should raise some stairs to the upper level where the Hellknights are, and a way to advance in the level. I'm planning on making the switch a little bit more apparent, since it can be quiate hard to make out.
Spoiler:
And also the "door" with the barons face texture taking you to the yellow key card in Map09 is a secret, and not mandatory to complete the level. I'll flag the area a secret to make it less confusing to the player.

Sometimes it can be difficult to let the player know when a keycard is made available, so i just used the coloured texture to let the player know which key the switches affect, for example in map01. Any suggestions on how to better communicate to the player that a key is available? Hud messages for example?

And as always thanks for the feedback :lol:
Turin Turambar

Post by Turin Turambar »

Lol, I passed by that part a few times, and it has even the flame posts and everything, but I never noticed the freaking switch.

In the end, I needed 40 minutes for this level. And that doesn't include 15 minutes going around searching for a way to advance :D
zVOITTO

Re: GERMS UPDATE *13/04*

Post by zVOITTO »

Screenshots from the new maps:

MAP10 - Ominous Insanity:
Spoiler:
MAP11 - Marsmallow:
Spoiler:
zVOITTO

Re: GERMS UPDATE *13/04*

Post by zVOITTO »

Additional Screenshots:
Spoiler:
Ferretmanjcdenton
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Re: GERMS [3 Episode Megawad for ZDoom] *28/09* UPDATE

Post by Ferretmanjcdenton »

Looks awesome again
Leglock
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

Post by Leglock »

Looks really good, Gonna check it out!
willeatpants

Post by willeatpants »

Ive never been this butt hurt in a Doom WAD before. Here I thought Sunlust was hard, BUT DAMN! im playing on ultra masochism and it has taught me the new meaning of PAIN!
I generally try to get 100% kill on all maps, but I couldnt on some maps, just dont have enough ammo! I do say, the placement of cyverdemons and archviles can be out right EVIL, but I can not help to keep on going!
Cant wait to see the finished product and to see some of the doom gods attempting blind runs.
zVOITTO

Post by zVOITTO »

willeatpants wrote:Ive never been this butt hurt in a Doom WAD before. Here I thought Sunlust was hard, BUT DAMN! im playing on ultra masochism and it has taught me the new meaning of PAIN!
I generally try to get 100% kill on all maps, but I couldnt on some maps, just dont have enough ammo! I do say, the placement of cyverdemons and archviles can be out right EVIL, but I can not help to keep on going!
Cant wait to see the finished product and to see some of the doom gods attempting blind runs.
Glad to hear you enjoy! New version coming SOONest™
zVOITTO

Re: GERMS [3 Episode Megawad for ZDoom] *04/08* UPDATE

Post by zVOITTO »

NEW VERSION ADDED (V1E)
also

..Decino played a map featured in the third episode of GERMS a while back! Here's the video
m1lk
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD (Modern GZDoom)

Post by m1lk »

makes a good horror-themed play though. added dark ambient music and played around with MariFX Shader, now its all dark and bleak 8-)
[_ilystra_]
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10 LTSC
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by [_ilystra_] »

(Sorry for my english, I russian) WOOOOOOOWW! I was looking for wads for fun multiplayer with mod krooglyi 1.0 or 1.1, and I didn't think that found so f##king good wad, THIS IS AMAZING!
zVOITTO

Re: GERMS [3 Episode ZDoom Megawad] *17/03* UPDATE

Post by zVOITTO »

New screenshots from GERMS_V1F :wub:
Spoiler:
TheMBmulti
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by TheMBmulti »

New maps look awesome. Do you still need to use the seperate weapons wad for the 64 weapons though? Since the weapons in the screenshots are the regular ones.
zVOITTO

Post by zVOITTO »

@TheMBmulti Thanks man, dats sum good ass shit! The 64 weapons wad has been discontinued for the time being to prioritize better compatibility with other wads. We may update the weapons wad in the future though.

Return to “Levels”