Hell Hath No Fury

New maps, and other projects whose primary focus is new maps, belong here.

NOTE: This forum, and all forums below it, are NOT for questions or troubleshooting! Threads here are for active projects only! Please use the Editing subforums or General for questions.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are ONLY for YOUR PROJECTS! If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.

Hell Hath No Fury

Postby 22alpha22 » Sat Jul 13, 2019 1:00 pm

CURRENT VERSION: 0.1.2

DOWNLOAD LINK: https://www.dropbox.com/s/06lrjtd0uxb3x ... 2.zip?dl=0

SCREENSHOTS:
Spoiler:

ABOUT THE PROJECT

PROGRESS:
This project is currently in the alpha stage. Currently 5 maps are complete of about 20 or so. Most of the assets are done, though I will be going back and refactoring much of it at a later date. I still need to come up with a TITLEPIC.

GAMEPLAY:
First off, this mod is designed to run with Plutonia as the IWAD. It has NOT been tested with Doom 2. If you get missing texture warnings, it is because you are not using Plutonia as your IWAD.

This map set utilizes many Hardware-Accelerated features and may require a more powerful machine than many of your standard Doom mods. Dynamic lights must be enabled as there are areas that lit are exclusively by them. Make sure you have the lights.pk3 (included with GZDoom) loaded with this mod. Shadowmaps should also be enabled. You will need a key bound for jump as there is some platforming required and certain jumps need near perfect timing. Crouching is also necessary so make sure a key is bound. The maps are designed for freelook and it may even be necessary in order to shoot some switches and barricades. The maps are designed to play with autoaim completely off, however the maps should still work for those who need/prefer it. Some of the weapons will lose accuracy the longer the trigger is held, fire in short bursts to maximize accuracy at range.

There are new difficulty settings for this mod, Heroic is the UV equivalent. There is no Nightmare equivalent, while the difficulty settings higher than heroic are much harder, none of them have respawning monsters. While the maps are designed for inventory progression from map to map, all maps have been pistol start or in this case fist start tested. All par times have been set on Heroic from a fist start with 100% Kills, Items, and Secrets. This mod should be coop compatible for up to 4 players however coop has not been tested.

The monster and weapon progression is much slower than your average doom mod and this is deliberate. I know this may not appeal to everyone but that is how I like it.

STORY:
I haven't really come up with a full story yet as the project is still in progress, but it should go something like this: A few years after the events of Doom and Doom 2, the UAC has been disbanded and their facilities abandoned and derelict. The neo Nazis see their opportunity and make a hasty bargain with hell; In exchange for allowing hell into our realm once again, the Nazis will get to rule the Earth. The Nazis move quickly to occupy the old UAC facilities and activate the teleportation network allowing demons to flood into our world again. The Earth is quickly overwhelmed and it is up to you to make your way to the central teleportation hub and shut it down. You'll have to battle your way through an army of Nazis and an endless flood demons but the fate of world depends on it.

BACKGROUND:
This is my first ever publicly released map set. The aim of this project is to "remaster" the very first maps I ever made for Doom back when I was a child many years ago. My first maps were about what you would expect from a child just starting to learn how to map and mod. They were filled with misaligned textures, HOMs, unclosed sectors, switches that didn't do anything, and all manner of brokenness. Still they were MY maps and have always had a special place in my heart. Over the years my skills at mapping and modding have greatly improved, though I'll be the first to admit there are many in this great community who are far more talented than me. I decided about five years ago that my skills at mapping had reached a level I was finally starting to be content with and decided to go back and remake all my old maps from scratch utilizing my improved skills. Thus this project was born.

I have about 20 or so maps that I want to remake and these maps will be split into two episodes. The remade maps will follow the originals designs somewhat loosely, adding in new areas, more detail, and making gameplay adjustments. The maps will utilize the latest GZDoom features that weren't available more than 10 years ago when the original maps were made. In addition I will be including the original maps as part of a bonus episode for the curious. The original maps are mostly untouched however I have made some fixes to them to make them playable under modern GZDoom. The original maps were made for and tested in an ancient version of ZDoom that hid many of errors that the maps contained for some reason. I have fixed all game breaking errors such as unclosed sectors, broken switches, and HOMs.

MAP TRIVIA
Spoiler:

CHANGELOG
Spoiler:

KNOWN ISSUES

None so far...

MY OTHER PROJECTS

Quake II Resources [Active] - viewtopic.php?f=37&t=45628
Realm [Cancelled] - viewtopic.php?f=42&t=47182
Realm Weapon Mod [Released] - viewtopic.php?f=43&t=65445
Delta Force: Doom Warrior [On Hold] - viewtopic.php?f=43&t=55861
Last edited by 22alpha22 on Fri Feb 14, 2020 8:30 am, edited 9 times in total.
22alpha22
So lonely...

Operating System: Windows Vista/7 64-bit
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Re: My Untitled Project

Postby Enjay » Sat Jul 13, 2019 4:30 pm

I don't have time to check this right now, but the screenshots look like nice, honest, fairly traditional Doom maps that should be fun to play.
Enjay
Everyone is a moon, and has a dark side which he never shows to anybody. Twain

Re: My Untitled Project

Postby 22alpha22 » Sat Jul 13, 2019 4:41 pm

Enjay wrote:the screenshots look like nice, honest, fairly traditional Doom maps that should be fun to play.

Well they started out that way but feature creep in the later levels does somewhat change that. Whether that is a good thing or not I have yet to decide.
22alpha22
So lonely...

Re: Hell Hath No Fury

Postby 22alpha22 » Thu Feb 06, 2020 7:54 am

Status Update: I'm currently working on LEVEL06 and about a third of the way done with it.

The map is called Canyon Outpost is a remake of my very first outdoor map that I made back in 2008. The original had a lot of space but not a lot of stuff in that space, the remake is even larger and actually makes use of all the space. This map features two ancient fortresses, one rather large, that the Neo Nazis have taken over. The fortresses are located in a box canyon with some abandoned UAC facilities in caves nearby. The area outside is crawling with hell spawn, while the Nazi's wait for you in their fortified positions.

Some screenshots of the map in progress so far: (click for larger)
Spoiler:
22alpha22
So lonely...

Return to Levels