HOLLOW: Some guy learning to map by making a crappy megawad

New maps, and other projects whose primary focus is new maps, belong here.

Note: This forum, and all forums below it, are not for questions or troubleshooting! Threads created here are for active projects only! If you have questions please feel free to use the Editing subforums or General forum.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
mrtaterz
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Re: HOLLOW: Some guy learning to map by making a crappy mega

Post by mrtaterz »

hotfix
  • More fixes for MAP02
    Added more detail work on MAP05 as well as reworking the map to appear more closely to it's counterpart by adding a 3d bridge and a Chaingun room to replicate the Nailgun area.
mrtaterz

Post by mrtaterz »

hotfix
  • Tons and tons of texture alignment fixes for all maps.
    MAP02 has been slightly reworked, and a new room has been added for more demon slaying.
    MAP05 has been improved and a pipe has been added to explain all of the nukage, along with additional enemies to slay and several other quality of life improvements.
This will be the last hotfix for the time being, and the next update will include a batch of maps instead of just a single map.
DavidN

Post by DavidN »

Nice idea! Usually, like people say, it's overambitious to make a megaWAD the first time - but you've got a great attitude for it, using it as a sort of record of your progress as a mapper :) These look good, and are interesting maps so far - to improve them further I'd suggest avoiding box shaped rooms wherever possible when you're in a techbase setting.

I've only just realized that MAP05 was meant to be an analogue of the Slipgate Complex! That's great :) Unfortunately I was totally unable to find the way out of the level legitimately - perhaps you can tell me where I went wrong...

This video was sponsored by the Send Lawyers to Hell appeal! Playing Doom WADs to raise money for RAICES.

https://streamlabs.com/davidxn/v2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S-R3_fVcWcE
mrtaterz

Post by mrtaterz »

DavidN wrote:Nice idea! Usually, like people say, it's overambitious to make a megaWAD the first time - but you've got a great attitude for it, using it as a sort of record of your progress as a mapper :) These look good, and are interesting maps so far - to improve them further I'd suggest avoiding box shaped rooms wherever possible when you're in a techbase setting.

I've only just realized that MAP05 was meant to be an analogue of the Slipgate Complex! That's great :) Unfortunately I was totally unable to find the way out of the level legitimately - perhaps you can tell me where I went wrong...

This video was sponsored by the Send Lawyers to Hell appeal! Playing Doom WADs to raise money for RAICES.

https://streamlabs.com/davidxn/v2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S-R3_fVcWcE
The sewers under the bridge still exist in Slipgate Complex. Look carefully.

Also, the Red Key is not required to exit the level, what you did was a legitimate strategy. Grabbing the Red Key allows you access to secret areas that make the map easier.

P.S. MAP06 is out.
as well as some updates and fixes thanks to feedback from DavidN.
mrtaterz

Post by mrtaterz »

NEW UPDATE!
  • MAP07 has been added
  • Trap in MAP04 fixed.
  • Visual update to MAP03 as well as difficulty tweaks to make it Nightmare! viable.
  • MAP01 has receive a slight difficulty tweak for Hurt Me Plenty difficulty.
  • Lighting tweaks, and a new area to fight demons in, as well as visual updates to certain areas in MAP02
Droober

Post by Droober »

I booted both 3.7.2 & 4.2.4 GZdoom consoles with this wad exclusively and when i progress to map02 it instantly crashes and says "Cannot open map02" in the console.

Any future fix planned? or am i the only one facing this issue?

And also, what's the current status of this megawad? would love to know. Thank you.
mrtaterz

Post by mrtaterz »

I have fixed the issue; as for the status of this megawad, it is on hiatus as I come up with ideas.
mrtaterz

Post by mrtaterz »

minor update:
Pistol sprite replacement
Pistol/chaingun sound replacement
Statusbar border replacement

news on continuation of project:
MAP08 is under construction after a long hiatus and procrastination. I can't give estimates on when it will be done but I will tell you that it's going to run on Boom-compatibility, unlike the previous maps which were UDMF. I wish to keep the rest of the project BOOM-compatible from now on for consistency.
mrtaterz

Post by mrtaterz »

mrtaterz

Post by mrtaterz »

Wanted to post an update on the little things:

STATUSBAR

TITLEPIC

CREDITS