The Realm of Z-Magic (Teaser Demo)

New maps, and other projects whose primary focus is new maps, belong here.

Note: This forum, and all forums below it, are not for questions or troubleshooting! Threads created here are for active projects only! If you have questions please feel free to use the Editing subforums or General forum.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Urthur

The Realm of Z-Magic (Teaser Demo)

Post by Urthur »

This is a demo of the first map from The Realm of Z-Magic, a Doom2 episode for ZDoom & GZDoom in the
style of Quake, and the sequel to 'Dimension of the Boomed'.

Download Demo Here

Jumping is required, use mouse-look if you want to.
Tested in ZDoom 2.8.1 & GZDoom 3.7.2

I was a little hesitant about posting something this early, but it should prove useful to have an available
demo if only for highlighting examples of glitches, bugs, etc. Let me know what you think, and if you feel
inclined to record any demos that would be great.
QuakedoomNukem Cz

Re: The Realm of Z-Magic (Teaser Demo)

Post by QuakedoomNukem Cz »

I did myself a playthrough of the teaser and it's really enjoyable, can't wait for the full release.
Urthur

Post by Urthur »

Nice one! Thanks :)
Korell

Post by Korell »

Will there be an over-arching title for the series?

Also, I just played through this one level teaser demo and the only thing that bugged me was that I didn't get the Quad Damage secret until after I'd killed everything. Possibly this would be a little different on the harder difficulties but due to the path to getting it being late on in the map I'd already cleared out all of the enemies. I did miss one secret, though.

EDIT: Scratch what I just said about the Quad Damage. I just watched QuakedoomNukem Cz's playthrough video and he got to the secret without going near the exit first (so I went through it backwards and hence why I'd already dealt with the enemies. His was a much better way around. I also saw him find the secret that I'd missed which also contains a Quad Damage, so that would have been useful too.

Looking forward to more of this. :)
Rex705

Post by Rex705 »

This was a fun demo can't wait for the full thing. I did a video with a Quake mod.
Gez

Post by Gez »

Berserk+quad damage is how games are meant to be played.
Urthur

Post by Urthur »

DOOMQ
This was a fun demo can't wait for the full thing. I did a video with a Quake mod.
Nice! I was a bit worried that ZMagic would be a lot less mod friendly than it's Boom format prequel. Did you have to adapt the mod in anyway, or did it just slot right in?
Berserk+quad damage is how games are meant to be played.
I did actually test to see if I could Quad-Berserk a Cyberdemon, but sadly I don't have the reflexes of a tween anymore.
Rex705

Post by Rex705 »

Urthur wrote:Nice! I was a bit worried that ZMagic would be a lot less mod friendly than it's Boom format prequel. Did you have to adapt the mod in anyway, or did it just slot right in?
Didn't need any tweeking I just loaded it up and played :)
Korell

Post by Korell »

Urthur wrote:
DOOMQ
Ah, just as in the main menu title. Can't believe I missed that. :P
ReformedJoe

Post by ReformedJoe »

I really like how natural the use of 3D floors is here. On that note, the lighting also blew me away.

Very nice work, eagerly await the full thing.
Spoiler:
Kinsie
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Kinsie »

This is great and the imitation of Quake-style geometry feels incredibly natural. I can't wait to see more!

I was somehow able to wake up the Pain Elemental under one of the raising platforms before I raised it, though. That probably isn't intentional, but it didn't spawn any Lost Souls so no biggy.
silentzora

Post by silentzora »

Urthur wrote:
Nice! I was a bit worried that ZMagic would be a lot less mod friendly than it's Boom format prequel. Did you have to adapt the mod in anyway, or did it just slot right in?
Can confirm, it's pretty mod compatible out of the box (so far). I've already begun adding some preliminary support on my end, though. Mostly quality of life stuff, like terrain.

Spectres look kinda odd, but I can fix that on my end. Shouldn't take long. :P
Urthur

Post by Urthur »

I was somehow able to wake up the Pain Elemental under one of the raising platforms before I raised it, though.
Yeah, I don't really know why it does that, but it sort of spooks the player so I left it in.
Can confirm, it's pretty mod compatible out of the box (so far).
Sweet!

Return to “Levels”