Randomized Roguelike map - v5 (Upd. 12/9/19) (New Map Gen!)

New maps, and other projects whose primary focus is new maps, belong here.

Note: This forum, and all forums below it, are not for questions or troubleshooting! Threads created here are for active projects only! If you have questions please feel free to use the Editing subforums or General forum.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
TDRR
Operating System Version (Optional): Manjaro/Win 8.1
Graphics Processor: Intel (Modern GZDoom)

Re: Randomized Roguelike map - v5 (Upd. 12/9/19) (New Map Ge

Post by TDRR »

Rapidgame7 wrote:I've done a few things and realized that enemies do not spawn on skills 4 and 5 - I don't know much of the Doom terminology, but the map things you use to spawn actors on do not have the hard flag set. Or the flag that says "UV and Nightmare".
Spoiler: I was going to reply with this
Yeah, mistake on my part. I'm going to fix it, but just so you know it's completely useless to play in UV, since it's the exact same as HNTR and HMP in this map.
Solid-Head wrote:Oh yes ! I've been waiting for this. My revenants mazes were driving me insane ! Your mazes are great. I like how open they can be now and how quick they generate. I will totally use this now.
Nice work. I haven't mess with the cvar yet but I'll look into thoses
TDRR wrote:Also, Solid-Head, sorry but i didn't update your map. Mostly because i haven't yet gotten the latest version running properly in ZDoom32, which is my testing port. Once i get it working, i'm going to put it in.
Implying I want you to use this old crappy version now that you've release this !
I change a lot under the hood since. Here's a more recent version for you and the 2 people that are following this :
https://www.mediafire.com/file/fx08kz7q ... 4.wad/file

This is not the latest version but its the most cool/stable one(Its still buggy). You don't actually need the three keys to use the ship, just don't spam the use key. My goal was to be able to use the minimap to navigate and generate a new maze within the map, which kinda work.

You may still struggle with this because I think this one still have the leaves in it.
Anyway I'm ditching all of it and start again. Will post update once I figure how your stuff work. And again, thank you !
Really cool! I love how it plays now, great work with it. The atmosphere is also great.

By the way, it's very easy to add the map generation algorithm into your map. The only hard thing is tagging all sectors in order :/ It might be doable to tag them all manually since your map is smaller, or you can try to build the map in Doom Builder X and then copy+paste that into GZDB. Then, without deselecting anything, use the tag range function. It rarely works, but you can give it a shot if you don't want the pain of having to tag them all manually.

If you want an in-depth explanation of how the Random Walk Algorithm should be implemented into your map, just ask me. It's fairly easy.

I'm not going to add this one into v6, i'm going to wait for the next version instead. Also, a small request: Could you add the option to remove the sky? Instead of that, it just shows a flat-colored texture corresponding to what the sky would look like. This would greatly increase framerates in my PC (as well as any computer too) since drawing the sky "portal" so many times is what slows it down.
(NOTE: I'm talking about changing the F_SKY1 flat, NOT the sky texture)
Clifford21

Post by Clifford21 »

The mod's idea sounds really great but only if I could try it....

OP, would you mind uploading this mod to some non-toxic site like mediafire, just like what you had done for all your other mods?

The never-ending loop of "wait" or "redirect" from your original link is driving me crazy....

Edited: Okay, finally get around that "eternal suffering", here is the link for anyone who wants to try this mod without that horrible download experience:
Mediafire
Last edited by Clifford21 on Mon Dec 09, 2019 11:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TDRR

Post by TDRR »

Clifford21 wrote:The mod's idea sounds really great but only if I could try it....

OP, would you mind uploading this mod to some non-toxic site like mediafire, just like what you had did for all your other mods?

The never-ending loop of "wait" or "redirect" from your original link is driving me crazy....

Edited: Okay, finally get around that "eternal suffering", here is the link for anyone who wants to try this mod without that horrible download experience:
Mediafire
Alright, sorry for the inconvenience. All of my mods are meant to have either Mediafire or MEGA links but for some i just forget to change them back from adfly.

(PD: Yeah, link is now on Mediafire again. Sorry for the inconvenience, and happy fragging!)
GiraffeMan

Post by GiraffeMan »

A bit hard to set up because sometimes the enemies don't appear and other stuff like that, but when you finally get it to work, IT'S AMAZING.
The concept is really fun, and the constant bombardment of enemies is exhilarating. Could use some music though.

8/10, amazing wad. Thank you TDRR, very cool! :mrgreen:
TDRR

Post by TDRR »

GiraffeMan wrote: Could use some music though.
Funny you say that, i actually already put this feature in!

Make a .zip file (You can rename it to .pk3 later), in it, create a folder called "music" and throw in music files (.mid, .mus, .mod, .ogg, .flac and .mp3 are ones i know work)
named RM01 to RM05. Load this file AFTER the RandomMap .wad file, and in-game one of the 5 tracks you provided will be chosen every time you start a map.

I didn't mention it because... Uh, i don't remember. Probably because i didn't have anything to showcase the feature.
i6g9o5r1
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10

Re: Randomized Roguelike map - v5 (Upd. 12/9/19) (New Map Gen!)

Post by i6g9o5r1 »

How did you tag a lot of sectors with different tags?

Return to “Levels”