[Beta] Ozônia: 11 plutonish maps [+Feedback Appreciated!]

New maps, and other projects whose primary focus is new maps, belong here.

NOTE: This forum, and all forums below it, are NOT Q&A or troubleshooting forums! They are for active projects only! Please use the Editing or General or its subforums for such questions.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are ONLY for YOUR PROJECTS! If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.

[Beta] Ozônia: 11 plutonish maps [+Feedback Appreciated!]

Postby Deadwing » Tue Dec 04, 2018 2:24 pm

Ozônia is the third mapset of the Moonblood series, currently having 11 (E1+E2) carefully designed short maps, heavily inspired by the original Plutonia megawad. The levels are short (taking from 5 to 10 minutes to finish each), fairly challenging although enemy count is always small. These levels have been played only by myself, but hopefully you won't find any big bugs yet >.< Soundtrack is from Exomoon and Moonblood itself, but it'll change if I decide to make it a bigger release someday. The mapset has been tested on prBoom+ and ZDoom. It uses sky transfer linedef and some scrolling floors, so I think this is at least cl -11.

Download here: https://www.mediafire.com/file/334vl569 ... 1.zip/file

Hope you guys enjoy it! If possible, I would like to see some demos and/or playthroughs! :D
Many of the "new" textures are from the texture thread of the doomworld forum, which are all awesome!

Credits for the textures:

Spoiler:

Pics:

Last edited by Deadwing on Wed Dec 05, 2018 2:46 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Deadwing

Re: [Beta] Ozônia: 11 plutonish maps [+Feedback Appreciated!

Postby Kappes Buur » Tue Dec 04, 2018 3:08 pm

Deadwing wrote:Pics:

[imgur]https://i.imgur.com/f0lfWpj.png[/imgur]

[imgur]https://i.imgur.com/BmjkOLR.png[/imgur]

[imgur]https://i.imgur.com/NIqBgUN.png[/imgur]

[imgur]https://i.imgur.com/21xUs9K.png[/imgur]

Delete the .png and the pics will show
Kappes Buur

Postby Deadwing » Tue Dec 04, 2018 3:45 pm

Thanks a lot, Kappes! :)
Deadwing

Postby Get Phobo » Wed Dec 05, 2018 6:18 pm

I played the first map. It was pretty tough on UV, but still fair. Map 02 wasn't. I died right after the start and lost interest, pretty much like with the original Plutonia. So I guess, you did a perfect job here. :lol:

BTW, when you reach this point, you might get shot at by a chaingunner you just can't see, but somehow he can see you. I would suggest some minor change.
Get Phobo

Postby Deadwing » Thu Dec 06, 2018 5:05 am

Oh yeah, map 2 has a relatively tough start, so dying a few times might be expected. In any case, I've implemented difficulty settings in any case things gets too tough :)
Deadwing

Postby Get Phobo » Thu Dec 06, 2018 5:54 am

Running (away) seems to be the main strategy here. I'll have a look at it later.
Get Phobo

Postby Get Phobo » Thu Dec 06, 2018 4:06 pm

Say, is this meant to be played 'old-style', with jumping and crouching deactivated, or not?

EDIT: Nevermind. I got enough clues by now telling me it is meant to be played with jumping and crouching deactivated.
Get Phobo

Postby Deadwing » Thu Dec 06, 2018 8:01 pm

Oh yeah, it's meant to be disabled (at least for places where it could break the levels). :D
Deadwing

Postby TheMightyHeracross » Thu Dec 06, 2018 8:09 pm

Add a ZMAPINFO lump with this in it to turn off jumping, crouching, and freelooking in ZDoom ports:

Code: Select allExpand view
adddefaultmap
{
NoFreelook
NoJump
NoCrouch
}
TheMightyHeracross
Close Combat!

Discord: TheMightyHeracross#1716

Postby Get Phobo » Thu Dec 06, 2018 9:27 pm

I wouldn't disable freelooking, though.

My current progress: Map 05 finished. So far, the maps have been very well designed and just the right size. I find the simple ambushes (shotgunners and chaingunners mainly) extremely impressive, with the monsters being positioned and angled just the right way (the triggered traps are another story; I hate them, but I know it has to be like that).
I need around half an hour per map (not counting the additional time needed due to savescumming). Sometimes, I just don't bother fighting.

Minor map errors:
Walk to the right, and the walls won't open. (although they should, the linedefs are correctly tagged and such) (map 04)
You can hide behind this lamp and won't be hurt. (map 05)
Get Phobo

Postby Graf Zahl » Fri Dec 07, 2018 6:41 am

Get Phobo wrote:I played the first map. It was pretty tough on UV, but still fair. Map 02 wasn't. I died right after the start and lost interest

Well...

Deadwing wrote: In any case, I've implemented difficulty settings in any case things gets too tough :)

I think this should be carefully read and understood by some people... :twisted:
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom Developer

Postby Get Phobo » Fri Dec 07, 2018 2:21 pm

Graf Zahl wrote:
Deadwing wrote: In any case, I've implemented difficulty settings in any case things gets too tough :)
I think this should be carefully read and understood by some people... :twisted:
Yeah, right. Because there is no difference between an overall challenging gameplay and a completely unfair starting position that doesn't even make much sense from an architectural point of view.
Get Phobo

Postby Get Phobo » Sun Dec 09, 2018 8:32 pm

Why on earth is the water in the later maps causing damage?
Get Phobo

Return to Levels