Paradise (3 maps + gameplay mod)

New maps, and other projects whose primary focus is new maps, belong here.

NOTE: This forum, and all forums below it, are NOT Q&A or troubleshooting forums! They are for active projects only! Please use the Editing or General or its subforums for such questions.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are ONLY for YOUR PROJECTS! If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.

Paradise (3 maps + gameplay mod)

Postby Tango » Tue Nov 13, 2018 2:35 am

3 small-to-medium-sized maps, built for/with a custom gameplay mod. Tested in GZDoom 3.3.0 and above. You can update your copy of GZDoom here.

>>>> DOWNLOAD <<<<
(last updated: Dec 8 2018, final version)

Make sure you use the custom HUD that's included in the mod!

The maps run map01 through map03. All difficulty modes have been balanced, though the maps were balanced first on UV. Nightmare difficulty is replaced by Ultra-Randomized, which is identical to Ultra-Violence except that a handful of monsters are randomly replaced by some variants (eg Imp sometimes replaced by Dark Imp). I strongly discourage playing on UV on your first playthrough, as it'll probably take some time to adjust to the new monsters and balance changes. If you fancy a challenge beyond UV, try either Ultra-Randomized, or run the maps on coop (run "map map01 coop" in the console) to play them with about 50% extra monsters.

The maps also contain ogg soundtracks (converted from vgz to ogg because GZDoom crashed with the original vgz files). If you would prefer midi, I have included midi tracks on the map slot + 10. So to listen to map01's midi track, "idmus11", for map02, "idmus12", for map03, "idmus13". Map slots 11 - 14 also contain old, abandoned map scraps that were originally meant for this project, which you are free to use (as with all the other maps in this set).

For more info on all of the gameplay changes, see below:

Spoiler:

I highly recommend playing Paradise with @Xaser's DamNums, as I think it can really help visualize all of the gameplay adjustments.

Any feedback and criticism is much appreciated! After I finalize the release of this mapset, I will probably start a development thread for the gameplay mod, so that any interested folks can stay up to date with it as it develops, as I intend to continue developing it and use it for my future map releases.

For detailed credits, see the CREDITS lumps in t-paradise.pk3.
Last edited by Tango on Sun Dec 09, 2018 2:40 am, edited 3 times in total.
Tango
heh!

Re: Paradise (3 maps + gameplay mod)

Postby Gideon020 » Tue Nov 13, 2018 5:35 am

This looks interesting, I'll give it a go and I'm always a sucker for interesting weapon mods.
Gideon020
Fanboy

Postby DabbingSquidward » Tue Nov 13, 2018 10:57 am

Nice to see that you brought that work of yours from Doomworld to our neck of the woods :D
I still haven't registered there, so here comes a good opportunity to give some feedback:
-If the CVAR is true, Plasma Zombie clips contain 10 instead of 5 bullets (Use A_DropItem instead of A_SpawnItemEX?)
-Since the new Plasma Rifle has a clip size of 30, why not raise the amount you get from cells in accordance?
-Similar to the point above, you could reduce the amount of ammo from clips to 6 so it fits with the pistol and 24 instead of 20 for the assault rifle, so it's 50% of the clip size (without backpack) and chaingunners drop them with 12 rounds :)
DabbingSquidward

Postby Tango » Wed Nov 14, 2018 2:36 am

DabbingSquidward wrote:Nice to see that you brought that work of yours from Doomworld to our neck of the woods :D
I still haven't registered there, so here comes a good opportunity to give some feedback:
-If the CVAR is true, Plasma Zombie clips contain 10 instead of 5 bullets (Use A_DropItem instead of A_SpawnItemEX?)
-Since the new Plasma Rifle has a clip size of 30, why not raise the amount you get from cells in accordance?
-Similar to the point above, you could reduce the amount of ammo from clips to 6 so it fits with the pistol and 24 instead of 20 for the assault rifle, so it's 50% of the clip size (without backpack) and chaingunners drop them with 12 rounds :)

cheers, thanks so much for the feedback mate :D

1) oops. do zombie clips only contain 5 bullets in vanilla? I didn't realize A_DropItem was a thing though, that is probably better to use here regardless of the 5 vs 10 issue
2 & 3) yeah these are great suggestions. I don't think I want to make any changes for the sake of these maps since I would have to rebalance the ammo, but this would be a really good thing for me to do moving forward with the gameplay mod, post-Paradise
Tango
heh!

Postby DabbingSquidward » Wed Nov 14, 2018 3:25 am

As a rule of thumb, every weapon or ammo dropped by monsters always contains half the defined amount, if not explicably defined otherwise. So, for example a dropped shell box or cell would contain 10 ammo, a clip box 25 and a rocket box 2 (2.5 rounded down).

There's also the Ammo.DropAmount property & AmmoDropFactor setting in MAPINFO.
DabbingSquidward

Postby Tango » Sat Dec 08, 2018 3:31 pm

hot damn I had no idea D: I guess that would explain why I could never remember if clips were worth 5 or 10 bullets. thanks for letting me know though DabbingSquidward, I appreciate it :D (also apologies for the delayed response)

instead of using A_DropItem, I've stuck with A_SpawnItemEx but instead changed the drop from a bullet clip to a new "bullet half clip" item, which has 5 bullets instead of 10. looks the same visually but has an altered pickup message so that things are clear. will be uploading a hopefully final version with this change quite soon

edit: updated OP with beta 12, which is hopefully the final version. will probably upload to the idgames archive tomorrow
Tango
heh!

Postby DabbingSquidward » Sun Dec 09, 2018 1:27 am

Not meaning to be pedantic, but the TangoGreenArmor pickupmessage states it has an absorption of 30%, while it actually is 33% :D

At first I thought you changed the SavePercent to 30 as a nod to Quake, but then I got disappointed after finding out that the blue armor doesn't have 60 or 80 percent :P
DabbingSquidward

Postby Tango » Sun Dec 09, 2018 2:34 am

hahah god damn DabbingSquidward!!! ah well. fixing now, will upload a final version momentarily. thanks for pointing it out :p

edit: okay, made the appropriate fix, and reuploaded. download link in OP has been adjusted. considering this the final version, will upload to the idgames archive shortly

edit edit: I've got the file open in SLADE, looking at the LANGUAGE lump, staring at 33%... but running that same file in game still shows 30%? very confused. is the LANGUAGE lump cached or something?? in any case, not a huge issue, still going to consider this the final release D:
Tango
heh!

Return to Levels