Dimension of the Boomed

New maps, and other projects whose primary focus is new maps, belong here.

Note: This forum, and all forums below it, are not for questions or troubleshooting! Threads created here are for active projects only! If you have questions please feel free to use the Editing subforums or General forum.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Urthur

Dimension of the Boomed

Post by Urthur »

Dimension of the Boomed is an short episode in the style of Quake. It includes 7 playable maps, designed in
Boom format, with custom monsters and effects. Intended for single player or coop.

Download Vanilla Boom Version
The original mapset for MBF compatible source ports. Most ports will be able to play this with the exception
of Chocolate and Crispy Doom. Uses Dehacked and a custom Palette, and therefore is not intended to be played
with mods, though some may work.

Download True Colour Z-Mod Version
The original mapset reconfigured to use high colour graphics and Decorate code. Intended to be compatible
with ZDoom mods as much as possible.
Use GZDoom or Zandronium, Load the mapset first, and any mods of choice second.

Download Quake Champions Doom Edition Version
A version of the mapset intended to be played with Quake Champions : Doom Edition, and in fact requires it to
run at all. The maps are converted to UDMF format, and use QC:DE 's custom set of Quake monsters. Many
encounters play very differently and are often tougher than the original, though much depends on your choice of
Champion.
Use GZDoom or Zandronium, load QC:DE first and the mapset second.
Last edited by Urthur on Wed Oct 17, 2018 7:36 pm, edited 3 times in total.
AvzinElkein

Re: Dimension of the Boomed QCDE (Beta)

Post by AvzinElkein »

I wonder if you'll make a Guncaster-compatible version. :P Before you ask, Guncaster replaces all enemies with Guncaster versions of them, which seem to look and act the same...
Urthur

Post by Urthur »

Well, a few people have expressed an interest in having a true colour, weapon-mod friendly version of DotB, and that shouldn't be difficult to put together once I'm done with this.
AvzinElkein

Post by AvzinElkein »

Alright, but I recommend actually checking out how Guncaster works, since it does funny stuff to the enemies... *shrug*
leodoom85

Post by leodoom85 »

Do you want ALL mods combined with Guncaster?
Just asking due of your obsession...
Urthur

Post by Urthur »

The full version is now available.

Since QC:DE has it's own separate music pack anyway, I elected to replace the Quake OST with suitable Midi alternatives by the following composers:

Parallel Dimensions, Retribution Dawns - Silent Zorah
Burial Chamber - Nabernizer
Become The Hunted, Barons Province, The Ravens Nest - Jimmy
Egypt, Demetria - Ribbiks

It also reduces the file size quite dramatically, and gives the QC:DE version a more upbeat feel.

Changes have been made to the QC:DE monsters, to smooth out the single player experience for this mapset. Generally they act more like their Quake originals, and the DeathKnight and Scrag projectiles are now easier to manage. Additionally, I did a full difficulty pass on all the maps, and fine tuned stuff.

The weapon-mod-friendly true-colour version is up next, and hopefully it should be fairly quick to build since I won't have to test any gameplay changes, and I can lift a lot of work out of the QC:DE version.
Last edited by Urthur on Wed Oct 17, 2018 2:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Urthur

Re: Dimension of the Boomed QC:DE (RC1)

Post by Urthur »

Got the true colour version of Dimension of the Boomed running. There's still some things I can do to increase mod compatibility further, but it should be done by the weekend.

Yeah, it runs Brutal Doom.
Urthur

Re: Dimension of the Boomed

Post by Urthur »

Updated the True Colour version to be Zandronum compatible, and tidied a few other things up. The side effect of doing this, is that the hud font in GZDoom gets palettised, however this shouldn't be an issue since most mods will have a custom HUD anyway.
NGX

Post by NGX »

The first two maps were pretty incredible! I really enjoyed the music too. I'd appreciate a couple of more stimpacks here and there, like in the lower tier areas before the Cyberdemon in Map01..

The weapon and monster balance is spot-on. Your Shambler monster made an amazingly elegant transition from Quake to Doom :o You should consider just importing all the Quake weapons and monsters in my opinion 8-)

The third map was gorgeous. I ran out of ammo several times towards the end. Leave more ammo and some stimpacks in the closets with the last two large crowds of Hell Knights :)
DavidN

Post by DavidN »

I remember playing this when it was a test version! Downloading and looking forward to going through it :)
StroggVorbis
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by StroggVorbis »

About the mod-friendly version, the DEHACKED lump is still in here, swapping the ammo caps between bullets and cells and changing the duration of 2 frames. Can I safely remove it? :D
Urthur

Post by Urthur »

DabbingSquidward wrote:About the mod-friendly version, the DEHACKED lump is still in here, swapping the ammo caps between bullets and cells and changing the duration of 2 frames. Can I safely remove it? :D
Sure, should be fine. Certain things remain easier to implement in DEHACKED, which is why it's there, but removing it shouldn't break anything.
NGX wrote:The first two maps were pretty incredible! I really enjoyed the music too. I'd appreciate a couple of more stimpacks here and there, like in the lower tier areas before the Cyberdemon in Map01..

The weapon and monster balance is spot-on. Your Shambler monster made an amazingly elegant transition from Quake to Doom :o You should consider just importing all the Quake weapons and monsters in my opinion 8-)

The third map was gorgeous. I ran out of ammo several times towards the end. Leave more ammo and some stimpacks in the closets with the last two large crowds of Hell Knights :)

Yeah, playing with a mod can alter the balance of the encounters, so I'll probably add a liberal scattering of additional resources when I next review it. I haven't tested TrueColour with every mod, and I haven't tested those I have to any great depth, but I'll try to fix any mod conflicts that anyone finds as much as I can accommodate.
Urthur

Post by Urthur »

Updated TrueColour version to DOTB_TC3.zip and uploaded to ModDB

Fixed crash bug at cluster intermission in Zandronum.
Renamed Quake monster sprites to protect against being possibly overwritten by a mod.
Added additional resources in early levels to compensate for elevated threat of low-tier enemies in various mods, as per NGX's suggestion.
drfrag
Vintage GZDoom Developer

Post by drfrag »

This is great, levels are convincing despite of the limited architecture. Only complaint is lack of swimmable water in the ZDoom version. Well also DECORATE monsters aren't very sophisticated. The minigun is cool. This is a very well done mapset.
Urthur

Post by Urthur »

drfrag wrote:This is great, levels are convincing despite of the limited architecture. Only complaint is lack of swimmable water in the ZDoom version. Well also DECORATE monsters aren't very sophisticated. The minigun is cool. This is a very well done mapset.

Yeah the ZDoom version is basically just a direct translation of the Boom version, for increased compatibility. I've noticed if you're playing with a mod that changes the Doom monsters quite a lot, then the Quake ones can feel a bit flat in comparison. But that was the limit of what I could do in DEHACKED.

For the sequel, which will be built for ZDoom from the ground up, I intend to do a lot more with DECORATE, so I can have things like exploding gibs and other Quake-isms.

Return to “Levels”