Fall of Society for ZDOOM

New maps, and other projects whose primary focus is new maps, belong here.

Note: This forum, and all forums below it, are not for questions or troubleshooting! Threads created here are for active projects only! If you have questions please feel free to use the Editing subforums or General forum.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
glenzinho

Re: Fall of Society for ZDOOM

Post by glenzinho »

Fall of Society is done! Download in the OP.
Dr. Shotgun

Post by Dr. Shotgun »

Just finished it (well as far as I could at least). I enjoyed it. It was aesthetically pleasing, gameplay was fairly balanced for the most part (just straight classic-style doom in that department; can't go wrong there), not any signifcant "screw yous" of note... and the new enemies were given proper "introductions". It's an unsung feature, I think, when most wads do that, but it really does deserve credit for easing a player into a new monster type that they might not have seen before.

I do have a couple things to add, though.

Did run into a few bugs where I jumped myself into a place I wasn't supposed to and couldn't get out, like the Cacodemon spawning pit near the end of The Time Left, or a few crates in front of a black wall in Tragedy of the Commons. It definitely seemed like jumping was allowed (and even required), so I felt that was worth noting.

The first level was probably my favorite, as I really liked that quiet sort of homely, almost dream-like aesthetic. Reminded me a lot of "Impossible: A New Reality" in that department (again, only appearance-wise. Sky texture probably added to that).

Second level is probably my second favorite. It looked overwhelming at first, but turned out to be a fairly fun and lightly frantic level (though the twin pain elementals near the bridge was maybe a bit mean, as autoaim kept losing its mind (and I had it off and it still somehow activated???)and they were just a bit too far off to reliably kill with the plasma rifle as a result).

Third level had some really cool architecture and tiny little scripted sequences. Maybe just a tad too winding for its own good, though. Every time I turned around I seemed to be heading in a new direction. Which is great if you're just trying to beat the level, but absolutely nightmarish if you're aiming for 100% completion (turned out it didn't matter in the end. I got 4/5 secrets and just could not for the life of me figure out how to get the soul sphere in the vent. But it is worth noting that I am just terrible at secrets.)

Unfortunately, I couldn't beat the fourth level. Or indeed, make much progress in it at all. The frame rate drops (which I do see is a known problem) just were too much and caused a few too many deaths for me to consider playing further. Which is a damn shame because the first impressions were top-notch. I loved the ambient noises; it really gave me a Duke 3D vibe (which is clearly what was being aimed for).

All in all I had fun with this, short as it was. I look forward to more projects from this team. (and not just because of the engine choice, though I will admit: that does earn it a lot of bonus points with me).
glenzinho

Post by glenzinho »

Thanks for the detailed feedback dude! Just a quick response: I originally had nojump and nocrouch flagged for Map02 although I didn’t think jumping would break the map. I’ll be putting out a v1.1 to fix this and revert Map02 back to nojumping. I’ll get in contact too with Bill to proof that area in Map03 where you got stuck. Thanks once again and glad you had fun!

EDIT: v1.1 is available at the link in the OP which fixes these bugs discovered by Dr Shotgun.
Rowsol

Post by Rowsol »

I just played through this.  Some creative mapping here.  Blind run: https://youtu.be/rcqGRNoyDv0 (unfortunate CC on video)
Attachments
cc.JPG
cortlong50

Post by cortlong50 »

just finished map 2.

this pack is a certified banger. lots of creativity going on here. and i love the aesthetic.

that said...holy shit map 02 is hard. i definitely wouldve put that later in the pack.

Return to “Levels”