Witchhouse for Hideous Destructor V1.2

New maps, and other projects whose primary focus is new maps, belong here.

Note: This forum, and all forums below it, are not for questions or troubleshooting! Threads created here are for active projects only! If you have questions please feel free to use the Editing subforums or General forum.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Leon_Portier

Witchhouse for Hideous Destructor V1.2

Post by Leon_Portier »

Witchhouse

The earth rumbles, sulphuric smells hang in the air, this can only mean one thing. Another demonic portal has been opened. Its not known how or why, the only thing which matters is to close it, move out soldier!

After 6 months in the making, I finally am ready to release Witchhouse!
Witchhouse is my first mapset, it spans over 3 Levels starting outside the house, getting inside the haunted mansion and a visit to hell itself.
So you start in a open ended map while the journey leads into increasingly cramped spaces,the little shed is bigger than it looks one could say!

The mapset is designed around Hideous Destructor but does not necessarily require it, in fact you can load any game play mod you like!

Features:
- 3 Maps!
- Both out- and indoor map types
- Up to 4 players Co-op
- Some 3d-Sector and Portal trickery
- Dark atmosphere and music with interactive volume
- Comes with custom textures
- Custom 3d models
- Allied marines

Download: V1.2 (08.09.2018)
https://www.dropbox.com/s/frwbm111kuxid ... e.zip?dl=0

Screenshots:
Spoiler:
Special thanks to the people who update the wiki, its super helpful!
Credits:
Spoiler:
Last edited by Leon_Portier on Sat Sep 08, 2018 2:36 am, edited 2 times in total.
Zan

Re: Witchhouse for Hideous Destructor

Post by Zan »

Man I've been waiting for some HD compatible maps. Let's give this a try, looks good!
Leon_Portier

Post by Leon_Portier »

Zan wrote:Man I've been waiting for some HD compatible maps. Let's give this a try, looks good!
Let me know what you think about it please!
Zan

Post by Zan »

Played the first map so far, it works pretty well with cover and stuff, I also like that you can approach it in different ways (I guess that's the most important part when designing maps for HD).
But yeah, if Hideous Destructor was more bent on being a milsim rather than a troll mod, I would have enjoyed it much more. :^) Will try to find some time to play through the other maps.

Also, the allied marines is a greatly underrated feature, I just wish they had some Brutal Doom functionality in them to give you more realistic options (overwatch mainly, which the AI would do perfectly). Right now what pisses me off is how they wander in front of me while I'm shooting.
Caligari87
Admin
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Post by Caligari87 »

HD isn't a troll mod, no matter how bad you are at it.

And I just have to say it's kinda shitty to come into a thread, call the intended target platform a "troll mod" and complain it's not more like Brutal Doom.

8-)
Leon_Portier

Post by Leon_Portier »

As I found out the friendly marines follow the player, I just had to put them in!
As far as I remember BD had a simple stay-follow mechanic, the real stuff in that regard I consider GDWP mod!
Also no fighting plz.
Zan

Post by Zan »

Yeah, ordering them to hold position is all you really need, but for future reference bear in mind that they tend to wander in your line of fire.
Leon_Portier

Post by Leon_Portier »

Zan wrote:Yeah, ordering them to hold position is all you really need, but for future reference bear in mind that they tend to wander in your line of fire.
In the future I´m thinking about using patrol points, which trigger when the player goes over a specivic line.
Zan

Post by Zan »

Second map crashes with this error https://postimg.cc/image/ijfy4q8zh/ when I use the Yellow Key elevator, and the Imp/Flying Skulls spawn. It crashes sooner if I shoot them so I assume the crash is caused by the imp going into his See state (if I don't shoot them but run into them, the crash occurs when the Imp goes active). Not 100% sure, though.

Other than that it's alright, I'm not sure if you're supposed to fight the Spider Mastermind. Three dozen explosives didn't kill him so I assume you just have to bait him away then run for the switch (in any case, that's the smarter thing to do, so I appreciate the room's layout and that it allows for this option).
Leon_Portier

Post by Leon_Portier »

Zan wrote:Second map crashes with this error https://postimg.cc/image/ijfy4q8zh/ when I use the Yellow Key elevator, and the Imp/Flying Skulls spawn. It crashes sooner if I shoot them so I assume the crash is caused by the imp going into his See state (if I don't shoot them but run into them, the crash occurs when the Imp goes active). Not 100% sure, though.

Other than that it's alright, I'm not sure if you're supposed to fight the Spider Mastermind. Three dozen explosives didn't kill him so I assume you just have to bait him away then run for the switch (in any case, that's the smarter thing to do, so I appreciate the room's layout and that it allows for this option).
Hm, I had a similar crash with a very old build of HD, which one are you using? The one I mostly tested with is 3.5.0.
About the spider mastermind, he is a standart spider, he should be very killable!
Matt
Preferred Pronouns: They/Them
Operating System Version (Optional): Debian Bullseye
Location: Gotham City SAR, Wyld-Lands of the Lotus People, Dominionist PetroConfederacy of Saudi Canadia

Post by Matt »

Screenshot says 3.2.5.3, which is the first release that reintroduced the yokai.

From the appearance of the current code I think that's already been caught and fixed.
Zan

Post by Zan »

That is indeed the case, I've updated the version and finished the game.
The only issue I've found is that the five marines at the end don't seem to do anything (there's some brown Pinkies so I suppose they were meant to fight?) And seems like I could kill the Spider Mastermind too this time.

Other than that it's pretty good, as I said, the main thing that sells this kind of gameplay to me is being able to take different terrain/tactical approaches, so if you make more levels, I'd say bet on that.
Leon_Portier

Post by Leon_Portier »

Zan wrote: Other than that it's pretty good, as I said, the main thing that sells this kind of gameplay to me is being able to take different terrain/tactical approaches, so if you make more levels, I'd say bet on that.
Noted! Sometimes I wonder though if I made the levels too complex since It took so long to make.
Leon_Portier

Re: Witchhouse for Hideous Destructor V1.2

Post by Leon_Portier »

Updated the Map to version 1.2!
It has a changed starting area, since many people got cornered there.

Return to “Levels”