Perilous Cavern [RELEASED AND UPDATED]

New maps, and other projects whose primary focus is new maps, belong here.

Note: This forum, and all forums below it, are not for questions or troubleshooting! Threads created here are for active projects only! If you have questions please feel free to use the Editing subforums or General forum.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
leodoom85

Perilous Cavern [RELEASED AND UPDATED]

Post by leodoom85 »

Hello folks and...time to release a map called Perilous Cavern. (Not related to Painful Cave by the way, which is another map of mine)

I'll tell you some backstory of how this map was created. Originally, it was made for another project, in Boom format but I didn't make it in time and, I must admit that it's my fault for not trying to finish the map in time and do it at the last moment. A shame indeed.
But now, it was time to recycle the map and give it a new life. Check the spoiler for images.
Spoiler:
Also, this map was sent to Marisa Kirisame as a gift for her birthday but it has a slightly modified version at the ending. This version is final if no bugs are found.

The info:
Map replaced: Map 01
IWAD needed: Doom 2
Gameplay recommended: Single Player (although it has coop starts, up to 4 players)
Sourceport needed: GZDoom 3.3.0 and above
Sector light mode recommended: Standard or Bright (Legacy is way too bright and Doom/Dark is way too dark)
Texture pack needed: cc4-tex (it's required because it uses those textures)
Music used: Twilit Jungle by Jimmy (Used in Back to Saturn X Ep.1)
The link: https://www.doomworld.com/idgames/level ... r/pericave (UPDATED YES!!!)

As always, feedback is appreciated. Took me a while to test it personally and tried to fix as much as possible.
So, enjoy the map and have fun as always.

EDIT: Forgot to say that inside the zip, it contains the cc4-tex pack to use it with the map.
Last edited by leodoom85 on Sun Oct 07, 2018 7:50 am, edited 3 times in total.
ReX

Re: Perilous Cavern [RELEASED]

Post by ReX »

Looks very nice.
Rachael
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Rachael »

I'm really digging the visuals on this one. I'm hoping I'll have some time to play it later tonight or this week.
leodoom85

Post by leodoom85 »

@Rex, thanks
@Rachael, please do it. I might need some more feedback from you because I intend to fix even more issues to put the map as a definitive version.
Fishytza
Preferred Pronouns: No Preference

Post by Fishytza »

Lovely visuals and detailing. Atmospheric, too.
Good choice of music, gives me a Heretic/Hexen vibe.
I really liked the shenanigans right before the final fight. :P
My only gripe is that the fights before the final one may be a just a bit too easy. (I played on UV.)

Overrall, a very good map.
leodoom85

Post by leodoom85 »

FishyClockwork wrote:Lovely visuals and detailing. Atmospheric, too.
Good choice of music, gives me a Heretic/Hexen vibe.
I really liked the shenanigans right before the final fight. :P
My only gripe is that the fights before the final one may be a just a bit too easy. (I played on UV.)

Overrall, a very good map.
A bit easy? Probably you're talking in the cavern area, maybe I can add some archies and revenants down there, or some chaingunners for maximum damage. I wanna know if you ended up stocked with ammo.
Rachael
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Rachael »

Well I haven't given the map a proper gameplay yet, I can say that the visuals of this map are among the better ones, from my experiences.

This map makes great use of the CC4 texture set, as well as the fog and the low-light ambiance. It all comes together to create a dark and gloomy atmosphere that never really leaves you feeling lonely.

There are some passageways where it's pretty easy to get lost, and so I did find myself backtracking a bit a few times, but eventually I was able to find my way so that isn't too bad.

But yeah - 9/10. I definitely will be playing this map again. :)
RedoLane

Post by RedoLane »

Hmmm, I remember those layouts..... I should give it a try. Looks really promising from the pics alone.
Fishytza
Preferred Pronouns: No Preference

Post by Fishytza »

I had plenty of ammo by the end. Only died twice, once by the archie after the cybie was killed, but that was by surprise. And again in the final fight.
The only other place I had trouble with is after I got... the blue key? It was the room where you press a switch, get the key and get ambushed by cacos and revenants.

Do keep in mind I'm someone who happily abuses monster infighting where possible, so yeah. >_>
leodoom85

Post by leodoom85 »

@Rachael - Thanks for the comments. I can only bet that the area that you get kinda lost is the blue door area, because it has some "not-easy-to-see" doors and... it's funny that also Marisa had that problem XD. So, that's another thing in my fix list to add.
@Redolane - Feel free to try it by all means. If a mod breaks stuff (which I doubt it), blame the mod ;)
@FishyClockwork - LOL, I'm surprised that you were the first victim of that archie. And, in that blue key area, I don't recommend using infighting at all.

To all 3, I hope that you can find the secret without cheating!!!
Maybe I'll add another secret...a bit more obvious than the other one.

or even adding an easter egg............who knows.....
Leon_Portier

Post by Leon_Portier »

Finished it on HMP! The transitions between castle, cave and metallic themes are really nice and are pretty easy to navigate. I had a fist fight with the 2 last pinkies lol. I had to quickload often, that means I can play the map a little longer, which is fine by me! :D
leodoom85

Post by leodoom85 »

@Leon Portier
Thanks for playing. Yes, I tried to make the map less monotonous by putting different themed areas. Probably I'll make the arena bigger and adding more encounters.
RedoLane

Post by RedoLane »

Just finished the map. For the record, I was running it on the most recent version GZDoom, vanilla only, on Ultra-Violence.
Well....overall it's decent. I like the level layout, monster placements, the nice twist before the end, and the music(which is pretty familiar. what is it?)
I also liked the section where the vanilla head wall had a menacing red eyes decorated on it, like you're being watched or something.
The only problem I personally had was with the circle cave with the 3 switches. Maybe it's because i'm using a different setting, but the cave was a bit too dark for me, so I died a lot there. if there are more people who had the same problem, I think you should make it a little brighter.
Long story short, it was fun, curious-inducing, and not disappointing from beginning to end. Honestly, it could really fit inside a megawad(if there will be any), and it's a real shame you couldn't reach the deadline for that other project.
So good job, and I hope to see your next map in the future!
leodoom85

Post by leodoom85 »

RedoLane wrote:Just finished the map. For the record, I was running it on the most recent version GZDoom, vanilla only, on Ultra-Violence.
Well....overall it's decent. I like the level layout, monster placements, the nice twist before the end, and the music(which is pretty familiar. what is it?)
I also liked the section where the vanilla head wall had a menacing red eyes decorated on it, like you're being watched or something.
The only problem I personally had was with the circle cave with the 3 switches. Maybe it's because i'm using a different setting, but the cave was a bit too dark for me, so I died a lot there. if there are more people who had the same problem, I think you should make it a little brighter.
Long story short, it was fun, curious-inducing, and not disappointing from beginning to end. Honestly, it could really fit inside a megawad(if there will be any), and it's a real shame you couldn't reach the deadline for that other project.
So good job, and I hope to see your next map in the future!
I honestly can't remember from where I took the midi (I'll update the info in the OP if I find the source). About the cave part, I can guess that you probably have the sector light mode setting to dark and I should recommend the Doom or Standard option, but you can also change it to Bright option if you wanna be more comfortable with the ambience (guess that I'll add that detailing info too)
leodoom85

Post by leodoom85 »

Updated the info in the OP.

Return to “Levels”