Schism - A Limit-Removing Doom 2 Map

New maps, and other projects whose primary focus is new maps, belong here.

Note: This forum, and all forums below it, are not for questions or troubleshooting! Threads created here are for active projects only! If you have questions please feel free to use the Editing subforums or General forum.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Sparktimus

Schism - A Limit-Removing Doom 2 Map

Post by Sparktimus »

Schism

Howdy! Today is my birthday, and I cannot think of a more fitting way to celebrate than with than with the release of my second map, Schism. This'll be a limit-removing Doom 2 map01 replacement. The ramp up in difficulty is pretty steep near the end, so be prepared. Otherwise, this a pretty standard vanilla gameplay map with a tech/ancient ruins theme going on. Two drastically different themes clashing, but with the ever-present Doomguy being the constant as always. Was mainly tested on Crispy Doom, with a few helpers testing it on PRBoom+. All known issues have been corrected as of this date, so if you see anything off about this, shoot it my way so I can properly deal with it before it goes up on /idgames. Tools used were GZDoom Builder for the map editing and Slade. Mainly tested on UV, but difficulty flags are in effect. Co-op starts are in as well. Build time was about a month. None of that three years BS this time around :P

Credits to:
Eradrop for the Skybox resources
Mark Klem for the music replacement ("Damage Assessment")
Rdwpa for the name suggestion
Playtesters for doing their thing. You know who you are ;)

Rex705

Re: Schism - A Limit-Removing Doom 2 Map

Post by Rex705 »

I gave it a go it was a fun little level :)
Dr. Shotgun

Post by Dr. Shotgun »

Oh cool. Another level from the dude who made Stranglehold. I'm in.

-------------

Just finished. Another fun level. Architecture was really nice. Not exactly classic anymore, but that's fine. Kinda reminded me of No Rest For the Living actually, Hell Mountain in particular (which is a good thing because that's one of my favorite doom levels).

I normally dislike the ruins theme, especially when paired with techbase. Usually reminds me of Plutonia (Don't get me wrong. Plutonia was usually fun play-wise, but I absolutely loathe the aesthetic). That being said, I'm not quite sure how you pulled it off but the overall look of the level hit a certain sweet spot for me. Reading the description I admit I was a little hesitant, but as soon as I saw the foyer I knew I was probably gonna dig the look. I wasn't wrong.

Gameplay-wise it was really solid. I appreciate proper usage of Arch-viles. I think maybe it was just a little stingy on health, particularly in the red key area (I played UV) but I also admit I wasn't playing at my best.

Only got one secret unfortunately. Could not for the life of me find the second one, even as I started jumping (wasn't sure if that was allowed or not) and even using iddt wasn't much help. But to be fair again, I am really bad at finding secrets.

My playthrough was done through zdoom 2.8.1 with no issues.
Rex705

Post by Rex705 »

I enjoyed Stranglehold so I was happy to play this and had fun. Here is my video of Schism.

Return to “Levels”