E1M3 - Toxin refinery remake (Version 1.1 released!)

New maps, and other projects whose primary focus is new maps, belong here.

Note: This forum, and all forums below it, are not for questions or troubleshooting! Threads created here are for active projects only! If you have questions please feel free to use the Editing subforums or General forum.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Rex705

Re: E1M3 - Toxin refinery remake (Version 1.0 released!)

Post by Rex705 »

Awesome map I love it! So many cool places to go and see. Shame that non-secret hunters won't even get to see half the map. It was fun finding all the secrets to get to the other parts of the map. I did a video for this.

Guardsoul

Post by Guardsoul »

Rex705 wrote:Awesome map I love it! So many cool places to go and see. Shame that non-secret hunters won't even get to see half the map. It was fun finding all the secrets to get to the other parts of the map. I did a video for this.

Hey! Thanks for the video! I´m glad that you like it! I just hope that the huge jump you made from the pool to the bridge was something related to your mod and not to the map itself :?:
Rex705

Post by Rex705 »

Yeah the jump was weird it might be the mod not sure.
BROS_ETT_311

Post by BROS_ETT_311 »

I love your style! The moment I went to boot up the level I immediately recognized the aesthetic was reminiscent of Atlas Complex. Unbeknownst to me at the time that you just so happen to be the same author, so I think it says a lot about your design prowess.
DoomKrakken

Post by DoomKrakken »

I've seen this map around in some vids, and I'm about to download it and play it for myself. I'm way too hyped! :D

One question... can you please give this same treatment to the rest of E1? :D

I love seeing new, more detailed, reimagined renditions of existing maps. It's just so refreshing... it's only too bad that there aren't many more out there, besides KDIZD.
Dark-Assassin

Post by Dark-Assassin »

If they gave this treatment to the entire E1, it'd be a worthy replacement for KDIZD.
I personally would rather see some high quality E2-E4 remakes first though.
Guardsoul

Post by Guardsoul »

DoomKrakken wrote:I've seen this map around in some vids, and I'm about to download it and play it for myself. I'm way too hyped! :D

One question... can you please give this same treatment to the rest of E1? :D

I love seeing new, more detailed, reimagined renditions of existing maps. It's just so refreshing... it's only too bad that there aren't many more out there, besides KDIZD.
Not the first time I have been asked to do a full E1 remake and it´s not something I haven´t considered while creating this map and, since I have already made a remake for E1M1 as well (an old one but with some updates it should be decent), I can see this as a possibility in the near future. But first I have a couple of maps for other projects :P
Guardsoul

Post by Guardsoul »

Changelog (v1.1):
  1. Removed the door connecting to the storage area before the pools room
  2. Changed the sky to a higher resolution one
  3. Redistributed some enemies inside the pools room to avoid excessive infighting
  4. Added emergency lights to guide the player in the dark after picking the blue key
  5. Added the lightmode in the mapinfo for better experience
The map can be downloaded using the same link (see first post).
Tormentor667

Re: E1M3 - Toxin refinery remake (Version 1.1 released!)

Post by Tormentor667 »

Finaly finished it, and I really enjoyed it. The looks is great, the soundtrack very atmospheric and the map has been greatly rebuild, it was fun, so thanks for that :)

On the opposite: I found it hard to find every single secret as the hints are very... well, subtle. Lots of "try and error" and I am pretty sure that I only was that successful because I played the original E1M3 already about a million times. Also I know it is a remake but some kind of epic ending or anticlimax would be cool. After a certain time it got a bit repeatative battling demons, shotgunners and imps.
Dark-Assassin

Post by Dark-Assassin »

I enjoyed playing this map.

But there are only a few things I had some issues with.
1: So many additional hidden secrets, perhaps a little too many.
2: FPS wasn't so great. But I doubt this could be fixed without removing a bunch of small details.
3: You cannot get to the secret Soul Sphere area in Zandronum. Zandronum doesn't support line portals so you just end up walking through it to the end of the dummy sector. Perhaps adding a line teleport right after it would be a ok workaround to this issue.
4: Not a fan of the blackout intro sequence.
5: First sector portal area causes HOMs in the Software render while the 2nd doesn't, but the 2nd tanks FPS like crazy. May not be fixable on the map side.
6: The map was a little short on health items. Casual players would have a hard time getting through the map.
Rex705

Post by Rex705 »

Dark-Assassin wrote:I enjoyed playing this map.

But there are only a few things I had some issues with.
1: So many additional hidden secrets, perhaps a little too many.
2: FPS wasn't so great. But I doubt this could be fixed without removing a bunch of small details.
3: You cannot get to the secret Soul Sphere area in Zandronum. Zandronum doesn't support line portals so you just end up walking through it to the end of the dummy sector. Perhaps adding a line teleport right after it would be a ok workaround to this issue.
4: Not a fan of the blackout intro sequence.
5: First sector portal area causes HOMs in the Software render while the 2nd doesn't, but the 2nd tanks FPS like crazy. May not be fixable on the map side.
6: The map was a little short on health items. Casual players would have a hard time getting through the map.
Well, most of your issues are fixed by playing with GZDoom and Hardware Render. This is a modern map with modern features so junky and retro ports like Zandronum can't handle this and why would anyone play in software mode?
I'm more of a casual type player and I was fine with the supply of medkits and ammo but I was playing with mods so I don't know how vanilla might be.
My jaw hit the floor when I saw the number of secrets in the level but the way the map is designed made it fun. Half the map is hidden behind secrets so I was walking around going "oooo how do I get in that area". But not everyone is a secret hunter so they sadly won't get to see those parts of the map.

So that's my two cents :geek:
Kills_Alone
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by Kills_Alone »

Very enjoyable experience and I'm looking forward to whats next. I appreciate how you stuck with enemies that were already in the original E1M3 and many of the secrets are slightly modified but if you know the original you will find many of them.

Here is a playlist with a 100% playthrough of v1.1 and a keyless speedrun of v1:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... WXAiN-QnZv
Dark-Assassin

Post by Dark-Assassin »

I played the entire map in GZDoom using the Hardware render. The Zandronum specific thing was only found later. And there are people who still play GZDoom using the Software or Softpoly renders, but of course I don't.

Return to “Levels”