[Release] Doom 64 for Doom II - /idgames link is up

New maps, and other projects whose primary focus is new maps, belong here.

Note: This forum, and all forums below it, are not for questions or troubleshooting! Threads created here are for active projects only! If you have questions please feel free to use the Editing subforums or General forum.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Dr_Cosmobyte

Re: [Release] Doom 64 for Doom II - v1.2 is here, weee!

Post by Dr_Cosmobyte »

I had problems with the blue key on The Terraformer, but i'll download the new version and see if the problem persists.
Mechadon

Post by Mechadon »

I just uploaded another bug-fixed version. It has a fix for MAP18 (Cacodemon that didn't get released in a fight) and hides more of the COOP stuff from singleplayer games. Link is the same, so re-download it again (sorry). I'm making sure its as solid as possible before the /idgames upload. So once the /idgames version is up, that's going to be about as finalized as it gets.
GAA1992 wrote:I had problems with the blue key on The Terraformer, but i'll download the new version and see if the problem persists.
Those issues should be fixed from v1.0. But just in case, make sure you're doing the following:

- If you warp to that map, use the name 'MAP02B'.
- Make sure you've got Doom (Strict) compatibility set (this is more important if your playing the vanilla version of the map [MAP02]).

Some mods had issues on MAP02 because there's is a special dehacked object that makes the blue key trap work. That object replaces one of the hanging gore objects. If a mod did anything with said object, it would break that trap. I forgot to finish up the decorate code for that object (and a couple others) so that's why that map would break with some mods. Version 1.2 fixes this.
Mechadon

Post by Mechadon »

I uploaded the wad to /incoming today, so this is pretty much finalized!

However a game-breaking bug was found on MAP32. So I had to upload yet another fixed version. Link is the same as before - http://mekworx.the-powerhouse.net/mekas ... 2_v1.2.zip
Valken

Re: [Release] Doom 64 for Doom II - /idgames link is up

Post by Valken »

I've been playing this and its brilliant with how the Doom/Doom 2 textures makes it feel seamless as are of the same world... I also tried it with the Doom 64 / PSX texture pack just for laughs and its pretty amazing as well.

This should be a part of Wadsmooth so it can be a real Doom Complete package!
drfrag
Vintage GZDoom Developer

Post by drfrag »

I'm playing this right now and it's great, i think this is much better than the original Doom 64. I'm really liking it.
Of course i'm playing with ZDoom32 and my Brutal Doom 20 fixed version, i could even play it with RUDE but i don't want to. :mrgreen:
This is really dark and i think it's best to play at night for the best experience (CRT here).
RedoLane

Post by RedoLane »

Just finished the mappack, and I must say....good job on the project.
I doubt anything can surpass this attempt, and it was a cool ride over the burning hell.
Hoping to see more projects from you in the future!
.ex.inferis.

Re: [Release] Doom 64 for Doom II - v1.1 out now!

Post by .ex.inferis. »

zrrion the insect wrote:If there's people that still play 64k+ I might take a look at adding support for this mod.
This would be perfect, imo.
Hipnotic Rogue

Post by Hipnotic Rogue »

It would be lovely if ZDoom could autodetect the WAD in the same way that it can detect NRFTL and the Master Levels WAD thus adding it to the Doom 2 menu. Is that possible?
PFL

Post by PFL »

I know Doom 64 by heart. So at first, when I see this project adapted for Doom 2 & how the maps are organised before playing it, I am sceptic. Doom 64 was all about the dark ambiant mood, the unmaker and the warps to secret zones to get that unmaker. And the Hectic challenge right there at the start. Now, Doom 64 exists and I still love it. I feel I will like this one too no matter my earlier comments. I will be back with some thoughts. As I've played Doom 64 on my console hundreds of time, it'll be a blast to live this one. Thanks already.

Some thoughts - I might be critic and I wish you see it in a positive way, if you can :)

1- Staging Area - WOW, great reproduction. Minor differences here and there but nothing dramatic, like the lighting blinking in place of circling around in the room before the exit. It's been awhile since I've played D64 but I remember some details enough. Also, the secret to Hectic closes after it's been used once but not here so you can get at the upper starting platform endlessly ... I'm pretty sure a secret to Hectic can be implemented from map 1, to, let say, any map in a hub system ...

2- The Terraformer - I was very anxious to see how the events were managed in this one but for now, WOW again on the corridor's lighting effect, very similar to the original. The layout of the level also is, but, while playing it, I felt I was missing many things; The terraformer, first, is nicely done even if it only goes down once. I was able to access the rockets's secret but side pressing the switch where the rocket launcher is. The blue key enigma is no more. The hallway of crushers is perfect; same mood or so, same timing also with non noticeable differences. And what is it with the shoot-me first at the start ??

3- Main Engineering - Oh!, the Nightmare Imps :)). Again, the level's reproduction is well done and there are differences in the central engineering room, the blue key room and the side secrets in the stairways. The rest is subtile.

4-
Gez

Post by Gez »

Hipnotic Rogue wrote:It would be lovely if ZDoom could autodetect the WAD in the same way that it can detect NRFTL and the Master Levels WAD thus adding it to the Doom 2 menu. Is that possible?
Technically feasible, but not justified. You could extend the same argument for any and all megawad out there.
Mynameislol

Post by Mynameislol »

Gez wrote:
Hipnotic Rogue wrote:It would be lovely if ZDoom could autodetect the WAD in the same way that it can detect NRFTL and the Master Levels WAD thus adding it to the Doom 2 menu. Is that possible?
Technically feasible, but not justified. You could extend the same argument for any and all megawad out there.
Isn't this technically more than just a megawad? Personally i'd just add doom 64 to wadsmoosh, but that would cause alot of incompatibilities, with this it'd be a whole lot easier to edit the wad and turn it into an episode, i'm considering doing this, but i'll wait until the final version is out.
Gez

Post by Gez »

Mynameislol wrote:Isn't this technically more than just a megawad?
Why?

Besides, it features DeHackEd changes which would make it a very bad idea for autoloading, as who knows what conflicts it could create in other DeHackEd mods.
Mynameislol

Post by Mynameislol »

Gez wrote:
Mynameislol wrote:Isn't this technically more than just a megawad?
Why?
This is probably the only, and probably the last faithful doom 64 remake to doom 2, if you are doing a full playthrough in a one-game kinda thing, this is the best we're gonna get.
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

But it is still "just" a megawad. There's nothing official about it and, let's not forget, it is an adaptation of the D64 maps to the Doom engine - so it's not a true representation of the original game (great though it is). Plus the DeHacked issue.

Personally, I don't really get the whole wadsmoosh thing either. I mean, I get that it's cool to be able to do it and that it (IMO) fills a real "I wonder if it's possible" niche in the Doom modding universe (and I recognise it as quite an achievement) but beyond that, I see no real practical advantage to it. Quite rightly, you already have to have all the IWADs before you can construct a WADSmooshed one, if you want to start a new game (Doom to Doom2 to TNT to whatever...) you have to go back to the top menu anyway (so why not back to the game launcher?) and it introduces some incompatibilities. It's just a novelty IMO, a pretty cool one, but that's it.
Gez

Post by Gez »

Mynameislol wrote:This is probably the only, and probably the last faithful doom 64 remake to doom 2, if you are doing a full playthrough in a one-game kinda thing, this is the best we're gonna get.
And then you'd have to follow this logic by also adding the PSX TC, Plutonia 2 and Plutonia Revisited, TNT Revilution, the Lost Episode, and who knows what else.

Return to “Levels”