[Release] Doom 64 for Doom II - /idgames link is up

New maps, and other projects whose primary focus is new maps, belong here.

Note: This forum, and all forums below it, are not for questions or troubleshooting! Threads created here are for active projects only! If you have questions please feel free to use the Editing subforums or General forum.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Mechadon

[Release] Doom 64 for Doom II - /idgames link is up

Post by Mechadon »

Doom 64 for Doom II is a vanilla recreation/re-imagining of the Doom 64 maps. They are made with [mostly] vanilla assets and can run in the original vanilla Doom engine (and Chocolate Doom). The goal was to recreate the major aspects of the maps while allowing for creative liberties where needed or wanted. There are lots of new graphics, some new textures (like skies), some new music tracks, a couple of new monsters, and minor enhancements for folks who play in advanced ports (like GZDoom).

You can find more info and screenshots at the Doomworld thread.

Anyways, I thought it would be a good idea to post a release thread here as well to ensure as many people as possible see it. There are some extra enhancements for (G)ZDoom players :)

Check out the release trailer by DeXiaZ and friends!

Downloads: Maplist:

Code: Select all

Map Name                  | Author(s)                           
----------------------------------------------------------------------
MAP01: Staging Area       | Death Egg & DILDOMASTER666                
MAP02: The Terraformer    | Blastfrog & Mechadon                      
MAP03: Main Engineering   | Mechadon                                  
MAP04: Holding Area       | Da Werecat                                
MAP05: Tech Center        | Z86 & Mechadon                            
MAP06: Outpost Omega      | dt_                                       
MAP07: Even Simpler       | DeXiaZ & Mechadon                         
MAP08: Alpha Quadrant     | ArchvileHunter & Da Werecat               
MAP09: Research Lab       | Da Werecat                                
MAP10: Final Outpost      | Da Werecat                                
MAP11: Cat and Mouse      | BaronOfStuff & Mechadon                   
MAP12: The Bleeding       | Saint_Guy                                 
MAP13: Terror Core        | MinerOfWorlds & Mechadon                  
MAP14: The Lair           | Death Egg & DILDOMASTER666 & Da Werecat   
MAP15: Altar of Pain      | Pedro VC & Mechadon                       
MAP16: Dark Citadel       | Nevander & DeXiaZ & Mechadon              
MAP17: Eye of the Storm   | Nevander & Mechadon                       
MAP18: Dark Entries       | Megalyth                                  
MAP19: Blood Keep         | BaronOfStuff & Mechadon & DILDOMASTER666  
MAP20: Hardcore           | BaronOfStuff & Mechadon                   
MAP21: Watch Your Step    | _bruce_ & C30N9                           
MAP22: Spawned Fear       | Pedro VC & Mechadon                       
MAP23: The Spiral         | BaronOfStuff & Mechadon                   
MAP24: Breakdown          | _bruce_                                   
MAP25: Pitfalls           | DeXiaZ & Mechadon                         
MAP26: Playground         | BaronOfStuff & Mechadon                   
MAP27: Burnt Offerings    | BaronOfStuff & Mechadon                   
MAP28: Unholy Temple      | _bruce_ & Mechadon & DILDOMASTER666       
MAP29: No Escape          | DILDOMASTER666 & Mechadon                 
MAP30: The Absolution     | Mechadon                                  
MAP31: Hectic             | TwinBeast                                 
MAP32: In the Void        | DILDOMASTER666 & Mechadon                            
MAP33: Title              | Nevander & Mechadon                       
Last edited by Mechadon on Wed Oct 06, 2021 7:57 pm, edited 12 times in total.
Sparktimus

Re: [Release] Doom 64 for Doom II

Post by Sparktimus »

Fucking fantastic work to all involved. Amazing megawad.
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

This seems really nice so far. I've only played a few levels but I'm seeing very nice mapping and a very faithful interpretation of what D64 might have been like if they'd gone with the original assets and a more traditional engine. Don't get me wrong, D64 is cool and all but I've always found something "off" about its aesthetic for my tastes. This mod addresses that and I actually now have a much clearer mental image of what the maps are like.

Great job. :)
RedoLane

Post by RedoLane »

Whoa, that's a great project! I might try it eventually, but the dedication you put into that kind of conversion is really admirable :)
Mechadon

Post by Mechadon »

Thanks for the kind replies guys! If you spot any bugs, just let me know. There will be a v1.1 release in about a week or so, and then I'll be uploading it to /idgames.
Enjay wrote:This seems really nice so far. I've only played a few levels but I'm seeing very nice mapping and a very faithful interpretation of what D64 might have been like if they'd gone with the original assets and a more traditional engine. Don't get me wrong, D64 is cool and all but I've always found something "off" about its aesthetic for my tastes. This mod addresses that and I actually now have a much clearer mental image of what the maps are like.

Great job. :)
Yea, I've heard this from a few other people as well. It's partially why I was interested in resurrecting the project; the concept of trying to recreate the Doom 64 maps in a vanilla format seemed like such a cool idea. I think the end result of that came out quite well :)
RedoLane

Post by RedoLane »

Just noticed that map33 is literally the title "Doom". glad you made that homage to the opening :D
I'm really curious if it's accessible through a super secret exit, or only with console commands.
Edit: also, the "fun levels" have a catch to reach them, or they are reached normally? In the original, you needed to use the features menu for that.
Mechadon

Post by Mechadon »

RedoLane wrote:Just noticed that map33 is literally the title "Doom". glad you made that homage to the opening :D
I'm really curious if it's accessible through a super secret exit, or only with console commands.
Edit: also, the "fun levels" have a catch to reach them, or they are reached normally? In the original, you needed to use the features menu for that.
Yea unfortunately because this is a vanilla-compat project, the only secret exits are on MAP15 and MAP31. So with MAP33 you'll have to warp to it (either via the console, with idclev, or via the command line).

Those extra levels (Cat and Mouse, Hardcore, Playground) were actually integrated as main maps (again because of vanilla limits).
XLightningStormL

Post by XLightningStormL »

Are you sure this is supposed to be Doom 64? Because it looks like Hellbound Part 2: Overdetail Boogaloo.
Mechadon

Post by Mechadon »

XLightningStormL wrote:Are you sure this is supposed to be Doom 64? Because it looks like Hellbound Part 2: Overdetail Boogaloo.
Not Doom 64, Doom 64 for Doom II! That's a pretty important distinction :P
Dwailing
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

Post by Dwailing »

How do I access the secret level from Map01? I remember in vanilla Doom 64 it requires you to destroy all the barrels in the level and leg it back to the entrance, but that doesn't seem to do anything in this version of the map. I know the secret exists since I can noclip to it, but I'd rather figure out how to get to it legitimately.
Bashe

Post by Bashe »

Dwailing wrote:How do I access the secret level from Map01? I remember in vanilla Doom 64 it requires you to destroy all the barrels in the level and leg it back to the entrance, but that doesn't seem to do anything in this version of the map. I know the secret exists since I can noclip to it, but I'd rather figure out how to get to it legitimately.
Spoiler:
Dwailing

Post by Dwailing »

Bashe wrote:
Dwailing wrote:How do I access the secret level from Map01? I remember in vanilla Doom 64 it requires you to destroy all the barrels in the level and leg it back to the entrance, but that doesn't seem to do anything in this version of the map. I know the secret exists since I can noclip to it, but I'd rather figure out how to get to it legitimately.
Spoiler:
I suppose that brings me to a new question, then.
Spoiler:
Mechadon

Post by Mechadon »

We've finished up making fixes and changes from the previous release, so here's v1.1!

D64D2_v1.1.zip [5.3M] (Changelog)
Readme
Alternate hell statusbar (skin/flesh version) (Preview)
Alternate metal statusbar (by CoTeCiO & StalkerZHS) (Preview)

I don't know how many people here are playing in ports like Chocolate Doom. But if you are, be sure to update the .deh patch!

This should be the final version. However if you find a bug, please don't hesitate to report it. Depending on how severe if it, I'll try to get a hotfix up as soon as possible. I'm going to wait a few days before I start the process of getting it on /idgames.
Dwailing wrote:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Mechadon

Re: [Release] Doom 64 for Doom II - v1.1 out now!

Post by Mechadon »

Sorry for the super quick double-post here. I just forgot about a couple of things I needed to address in this release, so I had to update it. Sorry about that! Link should be the same, be sure to re-download!
Dwailing

Post by Dwailing »

Mechadon wrote:We've finished up making fixes and changes from the previous release, so here's v1.1!

D64D2_v1.1.zip [5.3M] (Changelog)
Readme
Alternate hell statusbar (skin/flesh version) (Preview)
Alternate metal statusbar (by CoTeCiO & StalkerZHS) (Preview)

I don't know how many people here are playing in ports like Chocolate Doom. But if you are, be sure to update the .deh patch!

This should be the final version. However if you find a bug, please don't hesitate to report it. Depending on how severe if it, I'll try to get a hotfix up as soon as possible. I'm going to wait a few days before I start the process of getting it on /idgames.
Dwailing wrote:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Alright, I'll look there. Thanks!

Return to “Levels”