My first map! Please test!

New maps, and other projects whose primary focus is new maps, belong here.

Note: This forum, and all forums below it, are not for questions or troubleshooting! Threads created here are for active projects only! If you have questions please feel free to use the Editing subforums or General forum.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Doom Maxx

My first map! Please test!

Post by Doom Maxx »

i made my first doom map. i need to know what can be improved. anything helps.

To launch, put the following into the command line: boom.exe -iwad doom -file S1M1.wad

Boom.exe should be replaced with which engine you are using.

this is one of 16 maps i plan to make. s stands for season, and m stands for mission. so this map is season 1, mission 1.

Happy Testing!

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1K5yJDs ... sp=sharing
grouchbag

Re: My first map! Please test!

Post by grouchbag »

Any screenshots please?
Doom Maxx

Post by Doom Maxx »

ill try and take some, but im in a class right now. ill take them at lunch. for now, here is a drive document with some screenshots from an earlier version ( still verry similar. ) https://docs.google.com/document/d/1BE3 ... sp=sharing
grouchbag

Post by grouchbag »

OK, thanks. I did play it, but it was very under detailed. Not trying to insult you! Others here can be more of a help, there are also tutorials. Anyway, I'm not a good player, so it was about my speed. Good luck! :)
Doom Maxx

Post by Doom Maxx »

thanks! ill consider adding windows and such. i also hid a secret in the map somewhere... :)
Zen3001

Post by Zen3001 »

Just wondering why you're still using boom, I think gzdoom or crispy doom would be way more useful.
explain if I'm wrong please
Doom Maxx

Post by Doom Maxx »

i actually am not using boom. the tutorial i used said to use boom, so to make shure i didn't screw anything up, i just went with that, for the sake of how to open it.

also here's the edited version of the map.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1jpDhCn ... sp=sharing

added a changelog number

functioning doors

changed slime to water.
_______________________________________________________________________________________________
SPOILER ALERT: MAP SECRET
_______________________________________________________________________________________________
a hidden door was placed in the first room, behind the spawn point. ( functions as a skip level door. )
Future Updates:
adding windows

updated title screen

level S1M2 Playable
grouchbag

Post by grouchbag »

I'll play the edited version in a while, but just wanted to you know I hope you are going to keep up with mapping when you have time. Again, good luck! :D
Doom Maxx

Post by Doom Maxx »

grouchbag wrote:I'll play the edited version in a while, but just wanted to you know I hope you are going to keep up with mapping when you have time. Again, good luck! :D
Ok thank you!
grouchbag

Post by grouchbag »

You're welcome! I did play the edited version and found it better. Keep in mind tho, I'm not a good player. Don't have any talent for mapping. Not an artist either. I do have a great liking for Doom. I'm sure you'll be fine, from what other forum members say it does take time. Start off small and as you gain more experience, you'll develop your own style. Just experiment. Cheers! :D
Doom Maxx

Post by Doom Maxx »

grouchbag wrote:You're welcome! I did play the edited version and found it better. Keep in mind tho, I'm not a good player. Don't have any talent for mapping. Not an artist either. I do have a great liking for Doom. I'm sure you'll be fine, from what other forum members say it does take time. Start off small and as you gain more experience, you'll develop your own style. Just experiment. Cheers! :D
thank you! ill try messing with some more stuff! :D :D :D
grouchbag

Post by grouchbag »

It also might help to play other maps. There is a bunch of nice people here, I'm sure someone might help if you ask. Also, don't worry too much if someone criticizes your work. They are trying to help you. I just hope I may have been of some minor help. Got to get some sleep, been up too long. I'll see how your map is coming in a few days, a week at most. Catch ya later! 8-)
Last edited by grouchbag on Tue May 01, 2018 10:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Doom Maxx

Post by Doom Maxx »

alright! take care!
Kappes Buur

Graphics Processor: nVidia (Legacy GZDoom)

Post by Kappes Buur »

Your first map is certainly not any worse than my first map.

Just some pointers:
Pay particular attention to textures and alignment thereof. Abrupt changes in textures are seldom good.

Don't place doors splat flat on a wall. They look much better when recessed a bit

Small variations in the room or hallway architecture goes a long way. You don't have to overdo it, just little hints of something different helps.

And, perhaps, some lighting helps.

As already mentioned, playing maps by others will help a lot.
Attachments
DR.wad
changes to map02
(37.27 KiB) Downloaded 50 times
Doom Maxx

Post by Doom Maxx »

WOW. thank you for the advice! ill try playing the map that was included in brutal doom! and also, Your work looks pretty good!
i was thinking for the next level, that i made a tightrope walk, if you will. instead of lava, or slime, i was thinking demons below, so its more intimidationg. just to make shure, what is the minimum distance where demons "stop seeing" the player? i want to make shure they attack only when the player falls down. im not shure where to look for this, so any pointers would be nice!

Thank you!

Return to “Levels”