My first step into mapping

New maps, and other projects whose primary focus is new maps, belong here.

Note: This forum, and all forums below it, are not for questions or troubleshooting! Threads created here are for active projects only! If you have questions please feel free to use the Editing subforums or General forum.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
NosyEnthusiast6

My first step into mapping

Post by NosyEnthusiast6 »

a couple weeks ago, i went, "huh, i should try this mapping thing, seems fun, shouldn't be hard"
now, a couple weeks later, i look back at that moment, and wonder, "what the hell was i thinking?"

and so, the result of this week-long endeavor is a map that i have not bothered to title. the wad is literally called "a map that didn't work"
there is/are no custom music/graphics/sprites in this
it's very simple, it's incredibly short, but it's a map nonetheless and i'm kinda proud of it

it's a tasty noob meal. you got a bit of STARTAN, got some unnecessary ZDoom effects, all put together with a side of FLOOR0_1 and some haphazardly placed monsters as a drink

it's one map that replaces MAP01, music is mysterious from mario paint (i managed to convert it myself, it sounds best in libapl or coolsoft running the fluidsynth soundfont)
there's some difficulty-exclusive monsters, but hmp is basically the "true" diff for this map
'shots below
Spoiler:
warning: it does get a bit bland and rushed near the end. my motivation for this map dropped incredibly quickly

download link (dropbox)

works best in gzdoom, barely playable in zdoom, unplayable in any other port (zandro untested)
Last edited by Blue Shadow on Sat Apr 14, 2018 9:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Used [imgur] tags on screenshot(s).
Zen3001

Re: My first step into mapping

Post by Zen3001 »

I liked how it starts, there seems to be nothing wrong technically, just got confused and bored with the teleports.
(and put a little time in textures in the future)
NosyEnthusiast6

Re: My first step into mapping

Post by NosyEnthusiast6 »

Zen3001 wrote:I liked how it starts, there seems to be nothing wrong technically, just got confused and bored with the teleports.
(and put a little time in textures in the future)
i think my thought process kinda went, "hey, these are cool, let's put them in my map!"
then i never realized that i don't actually know how to use them effectively and i ended up creating a half-broken lost woods-esque puzzle that was completely unnecessary.

Return to “Levels”