Elementalism, an ambitious GZDoom mapset, Phase 1 out now!

New maps, and other projects whose primary focus is new maps, belong here.

Note: This forum, and all forums below it, are not for questions or troubleshooting! Threads created here are for active projects only! If you have questions please feel free to use the Editing subforums or General forum.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
axredneck
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Arch
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Re: Elementalism, an ambitious GZDoom mapset, Phase 1 out no

Post by axredneck »

Also AMD has not good OpenGL drivers on Windows (unlike Linux), so use Vulkan.
Nems
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10

Post by Nems »

Remmirath wrote:
ActionAlligator wrote:CPU: AMD FX-8300 8-core
GPU: AMD Radeon R9 200 Series 3gb (CPU-Z won't tell me precisely which model it is and my memory won't either, sorry)

Old hardware that I need to get around to replacing, I know, lol.
That CPU, along with the rest of the FX line, is notorious for having terrible single threaded performance. Rachael's suggestion of enabling Vulkan over OpenGL is very valid. It should give you a relative performance boost.
What would be some decent/good single threaded CPUs that you'd recommend for running GZDoom? Asking as a total tech dum-dum who's interested in upgrading my PC in the future. :P
ActionAlligator

Post by ActionAlligator »

Beat the water episode, moving on to fire episode now. The game still lags and hitches a tiny bit here and there, but Vulkan did indeed make a huge difference! It's not as bad as it was on OpenGL =D Thanks again guys! Will report back with my thoughts when I beat the game.
axredneck
Operating System Version (Optional): Arch

Post by axredneck »

Nems wrote:What would be some decent/good single threaded CPUs that you'd recommend for running GZDoom? Asking as a total tech dum-dum who's interested in upgrading my PC in the future. :P
Any modern Intel/AMD CPU except cheap ones.
Rachael
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Rachael »

The thing that matters the most is clock speed. But having something somewhat modern is important too.

Anything above 3 GHz should be fairly decent.
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

These days clock speed does not mean much anymore. More recent CPU generations have mainly boosted performance by increasing instructions per clock count.
My current i7-12700 has a base clock speed of 3.6 GHz, that's only 200 MHz more than my old i7-3770, but it's nearly twice as fast.

So having something more modern definitely counts. Modern mid range CPUs are still faster than 10 year old high end CPUs, despite the lower clock speed.
pagb666

Post by pagb666 »

Which is the cvar for the lightmaps? I'd like to bind myself a key for toggling dynamic lights and use it whenever performance sucks. I'm on a R5 3600 and got as low as 30fps in E4, not fun when trying to snipe archviles among the crowd. Disabling dynamic lights brought me to a decent framerate.
Last edited by pagb666 on Thu Mar 10, 2022 2:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
IvanDobrovski

Post by IvanDobrovski »

I've beaten the whole thing and here is my overall feedback so far:
Spoiler:
A tiny issue I found with a screenshot here in that one Water map with giant staircase
Spoiler:
m1lk
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD (Modern GZDoom)

Post by m1lk »

WOW! this is amazing! playing it with brutaldoom platinumm
Bauul

Post by Bauul »

Just a quick note to say RC2 has been released! Bunch of bug fixes, QOL improvements and some small FPS optimizations.

Download link here

Full change-log from RC1:

General:
  • Earth Wand has had it's damaged buffed and a small AOE effect added, but re-fire speed has been slowed down
    Boss health bars have been made shorter, transparent, and can be now moved between the top and bottom of the screen with the Elementalism Options menu. This way they don't interfere with the boss battles as much
    Opening story-text now stays on screen for longer, but can be skipped with 'Use' button
    Fire Episode skybox has been optimized, resulting in a ~10% FPS increase in F1 and F4
    Subtitles added to [REDACTED] dialogue
    Wand of Elements has a proper name when displayed on the Hud
    Automap is disabled during intermission screens
    Shaders have been updated to modern syntax
    Updated Elementalism Options menu to make it clearer how to display the new Elementalism Hud
    In-game description of the new difficulty settings updated to make it clearer what level of challenge they represent
    Numerous minor visual improvements across all the maps
Earth episode:
  • Earth 2: Switch near plasma rifle made more obvious
    Earth 4: First lift can be recalled so it's not a one-way drop anymore
    Earth 4: Some early fights made slightly easier to help with the difficulty curve
    Earth 4: Lightmode set correctly so everyone has a consistent visual experience
    Earth 4: Teleporter redirect means falling off at the end of the map no longer requires extensive backtracking
    Earth 5: Boss made slightly less resistant to the Earth Wand
Water episode:
  • Water 2: Fixed potential soft-lock in final fight
    Water 3: Blue Key now works (fixed in RC1 1.01)
    Water 4: Corrected comp-level setting allows for correct enemy jumping behavior
    Water 4: Final Cybbie encounter made a little less brutal
    Water 5: First wave of fight sped up to be a little less tedious
    Water 5: Boss made more resistant to BFG tracers
Fire episode:
  • Fire 1: Potential soft-lock near big main door fixed
    Fire 2: Added message to double doors to confirm they are locked
    Fire 2: Added heath and cell ammo to Yellow Key fight
    Fire 4: Fixed decorations incorrectly flagged as secrets
    Fire 4: Fixed skybox issue when backtracking from end of the level
    Fire 4: Added escape teleporters to all inescapable lava pits
    Fire 5: Prevented early access to central arena
AvzinElkein

Post by AvzinElkein »

I haven't played this fully, but a playthrough I watched implies that whatever the wand does is based purely off which realm you're in, and you lose that ability when you return to the hub (even if you beat its boss).
squidink7
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

Post by squidink7 »

In regards to the performance talk earlier, I found something interesting while tinkering.
I doubt that the largest fps killer is the large open maps, as I've personally found that other large open maps in GZDoom (e.g. the island) works fine, and so does this map as long as the game is in its freeze state. I wandered around the maps for a while and compared them normally to them frozen. For instance I was getting around 10fps at the start of palace of tears, but when I froze the game and walked around for a bit I got an average of 30-40.
This is on the Vulkan renderer on a laptop with a recent Ryzen 5 CPU.
I'm no expert in the doom engine but I imagine it's not doing much in the way of only calculating AI for nearby enemies, which on a large map like this with tons of monsters all around would really hurt performance.
Gez

Post by Gez »

Well, consider line of sight checks on a large open map...
SaveTheDoomer

Post by SaveTheDoomer »

Just out of curiosity, what video card should be the minimum requirement for this not becoming a powerpoint? Just to have an idea... :(
DefectiveByDesign

Post by DefectiveByDesign »

SaveTheDoomer wrote:Just out of curiosity, what video card should be the minimum requirement for this not becoming a powerpoint? Just to have an idea... :(
Anything that can run GL or Vulkan. It's not the GPU slowing the game, it's the CPU, and the engine is causing the bottleneck. If gzdoom is going to lift technical restrictions from the original game, the least they could have done is improve efficiency in rendering such abomination, but no.

The original Crysis had framerate issues because they coded the game for a mythical 6 Ghz CPU instead of multi-threading, and terrible unfixable performance was the result. Gzdoom is the same. At some point, modders will completely break gzdoom, if they aren't already pushing it now.

The engine is going to have to implement better culling and multithreading to continue supporting all these high end mods. That or modders will have to quit making them, or use performance workaround hacks. It's not feasible to continue pushing the envelope any further with such limitations.

Hell, if they can't multithread, maybe do the reverse like that TempleOS guy did, where he combined multiple cores to compute a single task. I dunno, anything is better than the current way of ignoring performance optimization while increasing features that tax the engine.

Return to “Levels”