Elementalism, an ambitious GZDoom mapset, Phase 1 out now!

New maps, and other projects whose primary focus is new maps, belong here.

Note: This forum, and all forums below it, are not for questions or troubleshooting! Threads created here are for active projects only! If you have questions please feel free to use the Editing subforums or General forum.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
LOZ_98
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Re: Elementalism - an ambitious new 32-map megawad

Post by LOZ_98 »

Gorgeous screenshots, now I can't wait for 2019, keep it up.
Remmirath
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Remmirath »

Update: October 27th 2018

Note: for the sake of tidiness, all screenshots, except Clay's gifs, have been put in spoilers, so just click on Show to see a gajillion screenshots of our progress

Back in October last year, GZDoom v3.2.0 introduced 'per pixel lighting' for models, meaning different parts of a model could be lit separately, compared to all-at-once like with sprites. This meant that, for the first time, models could be used as stand-ins for proper level geometry (albeit without collision detection), opening up a possibility of vastly more interesting shapes and constructs than Sectors and Linedefs would allow, at less computational cost as well.

Unfortunately for the Elementalism team, we lacked any kind of real modeling skill, so we've been limited to simple shapes or pre-fabs. That is, until now.

We are exceptionally pleased to announce that model-maestro Clay has joined the team. He's an absolute beast at Blender, and not only has already hugely improved many of the models we were already using, but has begun churning out some amazing dedicated props for us to use. It's still early days, but we're hugely excited to begin fully utilizing models (including the recent .obj support) in our maps.

Some of his contributions so far:

We can't wait to show you more of what Clay comes up with!

Also, back in September (forgot to do a post update here on ZDoom), Bridgeburner56 has officially joined the Elementalism team! His work on the upcoming Age of Hell megawad blew us away, and his unique mapping style is a perfect fit for the project. We're thrilled to have him on-board, and he's fit right into the team. Like a proper champ, he's even taken on one of the most challenging mapslots we have: the last main level of the intimidating Dark episode, D4.
Spoiler: D4 by Bridgeburner56 (currently unnamed)
Elsewhere, we now have the first finished map of the Air episode: A1, Antediluvian's Wall, by Bauul. This episode takes place across floating islands suspended over an infinite sky. But don't worry, falling off is merely a teleport back to solid ground!
Spoiler: A1 by Bauul (Antediluvian's Wall)
Dreadopp has nearly finished D1 too, and it features some wonderfully creepy encounters. Definitely a map to keep you on your toes!
Spoiler: D1 by Dreadopp (currently unnamed)
Additionally, Bauul has also started work on D3. Creepy tech-bases incoming!
Spoiler: D3 by Bauul (currently unnamed)
Meanwhile, Dreadopp and Phade102 have both begun working on the Egyptian themed Water episode, where ancient water-logged temples give way to strange discoveries and other-worldly secrets.
Spoiler: Unnamed water themed maps by Dreadopp and Phade102
As for me, I've been busy with my job as a web designer, so I haven't had much time to work on my mammoth fire map, which is so big that it's been promoted to pre-boss map (that is, F4), but here's a screenshot anyway:
Spoiler: Lone screenie of F4 cuz I'm a lazy idiot, enjoy lmfao
That's it for now, stay tuned for more updates in the coming months!
Collegia Titanica

Post by Collegia Titanica »

Excellent work, I'll enjoy this very much when it's done.
DOOMERO-21

Post by DOOMERO-21 »

very impressive dude.
SiMpLeToNiUm

Post by SiMpLeToNiUm »

This looks incredible! Looking forward to it!!
hybridial

Post by hybridial »

Yeah, nothing much more to add than it looks great and I will definitely look forward to playing it.

At this point I look forward to quality doom user content than most professional games.
Tormentor667

Post by Tormentor667 »

This is by far the most interesting stuff that I have seen for a long time... wow!
popguy12

Post by popguy12 »

Quick question: do you think you can make the maps load as seperate episodes? cause i use wadsmoosh to put all the episodes together and then usually ill load in maps of chaos along with extermination day. do you think you can make the 6 planned episodes load seperately and not overwrite the existing maps so that if i want to i can play throught the six episodes and the regular maps without having to reload gzdoom without this megawad?
that would make stuff a lot easier for the players. of course if you cant do this that is perfectly fine. i know from experience that it is kinda hard to do that anyways.
GiraffeMan

Post by GiraffeMan »

Holy shit that looks beautiful. How the hell do people make such good looking maps anyway?
Xianide

Post by Xianide »

Holy damn, dude! I see you're still going strong with mapping! Those screenshots look amazing! And the overall project looks promising as well! Can't wait to play it!
PRIMEVAL

Post by PRIMEVAL »

Goodness graphics... those screenies are sexy impressive. I'm in awe of this. Keep it up, really looking forward to this!
sinaptica

Post by sinaptica »

I'm really getting psyched for playing this when it's ready.
Those screenshots are quite something!
Hellser
Global Moderator
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 11
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

Post by Hellser »

I have to say, that water themed map by Dreadopp and Phade102 looks sweet. Maybe it's the brown and green color combo with the really nice skybox. Love the look of the industrial -- almost Quake like look of the first set of pictures with the gears and chains. Keep it up. I'm lovin' it!
Remmirath
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Remmirath »

Update: March 12th 2019

Music has always been an absolutely essential part of any great Doom mapset, and Elementalism is no different. Early on in development we decided we wanted to utilize full-fidelity OGG format music, as it seemed more fitting for the style of maps, but we wanted to maintain that certain je ne sais quoi that classic Doom music has: atmospheric, but with a strong melody and driving beat. And on top of that, we needed music that fit the varied themes of our episodes. It seemed a tall order, and I was concerned we'd have to settle for something less. I needn't have worried.

I am incredibly proud to announce that a whole host of exceptionally talented musicians have offered to lend their extensive skills to write the project, and we're now aiming for an almost entirely original soundtrack. Of particular note I'd like to call out:
  • HexenMapper, whose 2018 Cacoward-noted soundtrack to REKKR was a highlight of the year, has been crafting us soaring orchestral symphonies that wouldn't sound out of place in a blockbuster movie.
  • Eris Falling's climatic boss-track for Eviternity closes off one of the best mapsets in years, and he's begun lending his talent in Elementalism to construct a brooding prog-metal accompaniament to Bridgeburner's epic Dark Episode closer.
  • And Primeval, composer of the acclaimed soundtrack to Ashes 2063, has begun by writing a crashing Industrial-metal instrumental for Remmirath's epic Fire map that's so good I legitimately have it on my regular Spotify playlist.
I can't wait to show you what these guys, and all our composers, come up with when the mapset releases!

Talking of maps, it can't be an update without some screenshots!

Since the last update, Remmirath has finished off his sprawling and labyrinthine Fire map, F4. It's a beast of a way to close out the episode.

On the other end of the heat scale, Dreadopp has finished his opener to the Water episode, a vast temple set in some lost rocky outcrop.

Phade102 has continued with his intimate follow-up to Dreadopp's winding construct, which sees the player delve deeper into the sunken temple complex as night falls.

Once through, the player must navigate the twisting and interconnected hallways of Remmirath's recently-begun water map, W3, which sees enemies pinning you down from every direction.

Before, finally, emerging blinking into the light, Clay, our majestic model maestro, decided to try his hand at mapping. As I'm sure you'll agree from the shots below, super impressive for someone who doesn't consider himself a mapper. So Clay and myself will be working together to turn his ideas into the grand closing level of the Water episode.

Well, except the for the boss level anyway, but that's staying a secret for now!

(One thing to note: we've not settled on a water texture yet, hence it looks a little different between screenshots above. It'll all be aligned by the time of release)

As always, these are WIP shots, so please excuse any issues you see (of which I'm sure there are a few!)

(Crosspost from Doomworld.com. Original author: Bauul)
Last edited by Remmirath on Wed Mar 13, 2019 8:52 am, edited 2 times in total.
Rex705

Post by Rex705 »

OMG :shock: This looks amazing I can't wait to play it.

Return to “Levels”