The 65 prBooming 3DGEs

New maps, and other projects whose primary focus is new maps, belong here.

Note: This forum, and all forums below it, are not for questions or troubleshooting! Threads created here are for active projects only! If you have questions please feel free to use the Editing subforums or General forum.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Coraline

Re: The 65 prBooming 3DGEs

Post by Coraline »

I'll be managing the project and packing the maps tonight, and if there are updates to what is already submitted just let me know!
PepsiBepsi

Post by PepsiBepsi »

*I just updated it one last time (I hope lol) to fix a game-breaking mistake.
updated 5/3:
http://www.mediafire.com/file/ft4f52z7a ... EdgeCp.wad
Last edited by PepsiBepsi on Thu May 03, 2018 1:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Voltcom9

Post by Voltcom9 »

Projects like this should really be continued moving forward. Like a monthly 3DGE mapset, kind of like the Abysmal Speedmap Sessions but instead geared specifically to 3dge and perhaps a bit more time than ASS partly because 3dge uses UDMF. Just my thoughts.

As for this project I'm excited to play through everyone's maps. :)
NuclearPotato

Post by NuclearPotato »

Sorry about the late post; I've been pretty busy all week and forgot the deadline was so close. I've made only very slight visual tweaks since the last update, mostly to outside. The main thing this last update adds is some difficulty balancing. Unfortunately, I was too busy to actually look into what I'd need to do to get the map fully working in 3DGE, so unless conveyor belt compatibility gets added into 3DGE before this pack comes out, there'll be one more update coming at some point.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=19iF0V ... 3yGGa4Ad6Y
Rachael
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Rachael »

Voltcom9 wrote:Projects like this should really be continued moving forward. Like a monthly 3DGE mapset, kind of like the Abysmal Speedmap Sessions but instead geared specifically to 3dge and perhaps a bit more time than ASS partly because 3dge uses UDMF. Just my thoughts.

As for this project I'm excited to play through everyone's maps. :)
Unfortunately, for me, I am going to stop doing this, myself, but I would gladly support anyone who would continue my original goal: I wanted to have at the very least monthly community mapping projects, to try and get the community involved and share random stuff together. My plan was not necessarily 3DGE, itself, but to kind of put the focus on the kinds of things that don't get a lot of attention: Heretic, Hexen, 3DGE, etc. And I wanted to make it fun for everyone (Which, to be honest, I think I failed at miserably in this particular project this time around - sorry about that).

One thing that I've found is leading community projects tends to be pretty stressful. There's a LOT of pressure on the person leading the project to lead it correctly, and when you have a lot going on sometimes you simply can't dedicate the time that you need to towards a project like this.

Also my vision for projects like this, while it works well for some people, is at odds for others. People feel rushed that I give such short deadlines, even though I have very good reasons for doing so - and I can understand their concerns, but I feel like the benefits of that outweigh the downfalls, especially considering that speedmapping is a great way to learn how to do mapping in general, and how to, most importantly: actually finish a project. The result may not be your magnum opus, or the greatest creation you've ever made, but sometimes seeing yourself actually finish something, even if it's not your best work, is very motivational.

So yeah, that's my thoughts about that, and I am hoping that by describing my thought process over this a little bit, people understand why I did things the way I did, and honestly I wish things could have gone better. Being an adult sucks.

Maybe what we can do is have something that's a little more decentralized and requires less leadership, that can be run by a committee instead of a single leader. If there's any interest in this idea, that might be the best way to move forward with it.
RUNSABER

Post by RUNSABER »

This is my FAVORITE source port, next to QZDoom. I'm thankful that there was an 3DGE mapping project for people to take a swing at things. The way I see it, there was interest generated and there have been some VERY good maps added into the rotation of this package. That being said, I'm gonna download it and give it a go when things are compiled. If no one has stepped up to the plate, I would like to be able to attempt managing an 3DGE community project. I would provide less strict deadlines, yet not so strict that interest dwindles and people forget to focus on their maps. This port alone has connected me to some insane modders and to see what more we can pump out together would be a marvel in itself to witness ^_^ I do work a day job and draw illustrations when I'm not Dooming so even I have to take breaks as well!

Some ideas I could present for the next project if I lead:

Space Colonization: A central hub in 3DGE that players can return to, while visiting other space stations on different planets. The hub could work something along the lines of Star Fox, where you fly a ship through space (hub) approach a planet and play that map. Players would be challenged to create solo small-to-medium space stations or together with another community participating member. We have yet to see the power of 3DGE's HUB-based system.

Biome Brutality: Crazy name, yet same concept as above instead of space stations, players create various biomes from jungles, volcanic caverns, dusty devilish sandy dunes in the desert, etc. Some people may not want to build solely sci-fi maps and this could be a departure into creative challenges.

Those examples are of a mere few of what I can plan, I also want to make these ideas come to life myself. We can arrange texture packs and have everyone provide assets they would want to use in the game.

As a matter of fact... HOW DOES EVERYONE FEEL ABOUT A DOOM64 PROJECT FOR 3DGE
I have phone service and I am constantly plugged into Discord. So I am very transparent and can work with any skill of mapper.
RUNSABER

Post by RUNSABER »

This is what Doom 64 looks like in 3DGE. I know we have Doom64 EX which I also use from time to time, but its the customization I am presenting here. I have a few maps cooked up already to start the momentum for a solo-project turned community project. There is no limit to what we can do so far, my 3dgers :) I even have fantasy weapons inspired by Heretic/Hexen put together for ANOTHER future community project. Not to mention a possible Shadow Dancer (Shinobi) community project as well ;) Hell, if we get CJ on the bill, we might end up making some dope Wolfenstein maps, a game I've hardly played, let alone map for!
Voltcom9

Post by Voltcom9 »

This could be interesting. If another community mapping project starts up I'll likely contribute again. Also, I love the idea of space colonization and the player visiting different worlds.
RUNSABER

Post by RUNSABER »

We might see one coming up in mid-May :) I just need clearance from the higher ups to take the torch!

Glad you expressed interest, because your already amazing potential with mapping is bound to get better. I also see you like the gothic style as well! My goals as an overseer would be to provide tips on scripting and using DDF to create all sorts of things from talkative NPCs to weather effects. Another thing is that because im on integrated hardware, I can only handle so many linedefs on a map until anything becomes unplayable. How would yall feel about more small-medium style maps?
leodoom85

Post by leodoom85 »

@PepsiBepsi
That fix is related to the area near where the yellow key is?
I'll explain, it's more of a skip thing where you can pass the red bars on the sides and press the switch to get the key...
Voltcom9

Post by Voltcom9 »

What's the eta on the beta release?

@Runasaber Thanks! I'm glad you enjoyed my map and I just need more practice working around the weird nuances of 3DGE. I'm most comfortable mapping using GZDoom's UDMF so trying to get some features to work in 3dge is quite difficult. With a little more practice I think I can make some pretty fun maps for 3dge utilizing it's advanced features, but I'm struggling with 3DGE builder to be honest. Most of my mapping is actually done in Slade which currently doesn't support 3dge format UDMF :(
chronoteeth
Preferred Pronouns: It/Its

Post by chronoteeth »

it'll be nice to play my mods in a mapset made specifically for the engine
PepsiBepsi

Post by PepsiBepsi »

leodoom85 wrote:@PepsiBepsi
That fix is related to the area near where the yellow key is?
I'll explain, it's more of a skip thing where you can pass the red bars on the sides and press the switch to get the key...
Oh damn, I forgot about that problem. The problem i fixed was the fact that one of the walkways did damage. Hopefully @Rachael or @Coraline can make a quick fix for the red bars since it's probably too late for me to update again lol

updated 5/3: http://www.mediafire.com/file/ft4f52z7a ... EdgeCp.wad
Last edited by PepsiBepsi on Thu May 03, 2018 1:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Coraline

Post by Coraline »

Go ahead and fix it, reply in the post with the update, I'll merge it in (if you have time).

Also, i have a question: map authors of the pack, would you guys care if I put a custom HUD/sounds for OUR_HERO? Want to use the custom Doomgirl from the EDGE add-on that Sandstormer made Doom R3loaded.

But if you guys aren't comfortable with the idea I won't do it...let me know!
Voltcom9

Post by Voltcom9 »

Sounds good. I'm ok with new hud and gfx.

Return to “Levels”