Shadow of Drangleic

New maps, and other projects whose primary focus is new maps, belong here.

Note: This forum, and all forums below it, are not for questions or troubleshooting! Threads created here are for active projects only! If you have questions please feel free to use the Editing subforums or General forum.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
darkhaven3

Shadow of Drangleic

Post by darkhaven3 »

m_htic.png
m_htic.png (93.54 KiB) Viewed 3109 times

Perhaps you've seen it, maybe in a dream. A murky, forgotten land.
A place where souls may mend your ailing mind.
You will lose everything... once Branded. The symbol of the curse, an augur of darkness.
Your past. Your future. Your very light. None will have meaning, and you won't even care.
By then, you'll be something other than human.

A thing that feeds on souls.

A Hollow.

Long ago, in a walled off land, far to the north, a great king built a great kingdom. I believe they called it Drangleic.
Perhaps you're familiar... No, how could you be?
But one day, you will stand before its decrepit gate. Without really knowing why...

Like a moth drawn to a flame. Your wings will burn in anguish, time after time. For that is your fate.

The fate of the cursed.
e1m1-e1m5, not finished yet but enough content for a release

screenshots
doomworld thread
download - v1.2 (902KB)
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Re: Shadow of Drangleic

Post by wildweasel »

Love the architecture and the changes to the palette. Kinda got stuck on the first level though, perhaps I missed a switch or something, but I was only really playing for about 10 minutes in total. I'll give it another roll later and see if I have better luck.
Void Weaver

Post by Void Weaver »

+1 to wildweasel; btw, level is doable - just use teleporters.
I haven't seen for a long time a such beautiful and challenging levelpacks for Heretic, insta-faved that ghostly-lilac gloomy world! And a some more ambient music tracks would be nice too.

But why so many Map Scrolls (3) on the one map?

It's a good start, keep going dude!
Bookmarked & Subscribed.
darkhaven3

Post by darkhaven3 »

Void Weaver wrote:+1 to wildweasel; btw, level is doable - just use teleporters.
I haven't seen for a long time a such beautiful and challenging levelpacks for Heretic, insta-faved that ghostly-lilac gloomy world! And a some more ambient music tracks would be nice too.

But why so many Map Scrolls (3) on the one map?

It's a good start, keep going dude!
Bookmarked & Subscribed.

The idea behind having multiple map scrolls (and multiple yellow keys like in E1M2) is to simply give you the option of encountering these things in different areas, without having to go to one specific place to find them. I tried to "teach" the player that exploration is always rewarded by having things like that, but I can always go back and mix up the artifacts if you guys don't like the way that ends up playing out. And thank you for your time, I appreciate that you played and commented back to me about it.
Void Weaver

Post by Void Weaver »

Thank you for clarifying, I had suspected something similar about because I almost instantly noticed that your maps have are very nonlinear structure - that's really creative.
ReX

Post by ReX »

darkhaven3 wrote:The idea behind having multiple map scrolls (and multiple yellow keys like in E1M2) is to simply give you the option of encountering these things in different areas, without having to go to one specific place to find them. I tried to "teach" the player that exploration is always rewarded by having things like that ....
A man after my own heart. I always enjoy playing maps that reward me for poking around (and, occasionally, taking risks).
.... but I can always go back and mix up the artifacts if you guys don't like the way that ends up playing out.
For my part, I wouldn't want you to change this particular aspect of the game.

As for everything else I've seen, I really like the color scheme, as well as the way the textures come together organically (naturally).

I will have to dig up my copy of Heretic to play your mod. Congratulations on releasing a very cool mod.
ShadesMaster

Post by ShadesMaster »

I haveta say, I'm really liking the way this is shaping up so far! My only gripe? The lack of a better weapon, like a crossbow, earlier on. The wand gets tedious against hordes of enemies.
What WOULD be neat is a smattering of new baddies to face off against the old ones, as well. But I'm liking the way this is shaping up!
darkhaven3

Post by darkhaven3 »

The Crossbow can be acquired very early into E1M2 if you watch for secrets. ;)
Void Weaver

Post by Void Weaver »

How many maps you have planned to make? Only for E1 or for other episodes too?
darkhaven3

Post by darkhaven3 »

Since I'm so close to a complete E1 replacement anyway, I'll definitely finish that, but more episodes are still up in the air. I originally had plans to make a Hexen hub after Shadow of Drangleic was done, but I do really like mapping for Heretic. We'll see. ;)

EDIT: remind me to delete my stupid alt account that I shouldn't be using anyway. I keep accidentally posting as Fisk in this thread.
RaVeN-05

Post by RaVeN-05 »

Looked at screenshots , omg its just awesome!!! like it .
Elie(T)Zerg

Post by Elie(T)Zerg »

That reminded my to the Curse Of D'Sparil, looks very great', with huge maps too?; The thing that capt my attention was that pretty textures from ShadowCaster. Look's very good.
darkhaven3

Post by darkhaven3 »

I'd like to thank everyone who has played the mod so far and I sincerely appreciate your feedback, whether it is good or bad. If you have any issues with SOD, don't hesitate to mention it here; I know it's not perfect and I won't improve as an author if I don't hear how I can make things better.

I would also like to announce that preliminary co-op testing is looking good. For the 1.3 release, I plan to include E1M1-E1M6 and E1M9, meaning that with the way I am currently working things out, version 1.4 should be the first version to contain the complete episode and with any luck, 1.5 will be final.

E1M9 screenshots follow. You're going to have a difficult time finding this map, so look while you can - it may be the only time you see it without cheating.
Spoiler:
Last edited by wildweasel on Tue Feb 06, 2018 6:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Screenshots shrunk in accordance with Image Posting Rules. 1680px wide is too wide. In future, the [imgur] tag may be useful to automatically thumbnail images.

Return to “Levels”