Dark Universe part 1 released

New maps, and other projects whose primary focus is new maps, belong here.

Note: This forum, and all forums below it, are not for questions or troubleshooting! Threads created here are for active projects only! If you have questions please feel free to use the Editing subforums or General forum.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Payload4367

Dark Universe part 1 released

Post by Payload4367 »

Part one of this project has been released:
Link to FINISHED PRODUCT:
https://www.doomworld.com/files/file/19 ... se-part-1/

New Update: fixes and new map

5 maps for GZdoom/Doom2.

Small to Medium sized maps. Maps can be completed
rather quickly (just find the switch that opens the
exit and then find the exit), with lots of secrets,
switches, scripted events, and hidden areas full of
the stuff you might need to survive the next map.
HMP and UV difficulties available.

This is still a work in progress. Help appreciated. Thanks everyone!

For screenshots: https://www.doomworld.com/forum/topic/9 ... ck-wanted/
Link to old file (drkuni1.zip): http://www.mediafire.com/file/8esle1fdo ... rkuni1.zip

Link to old file #2(drkuni1.2.zip): http://www.mediafire.com/file/zb44oyj02 ... uni1.2.zip

What's new:
• Fixed some texture alignments
• Worked to make the "codes" system more intuitive. (crosses fingers)
• added early build of map05
• New title screen

Xtra content: made a video playing map01 with the Dark Forces mod: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DezNadIjFvk
Attachments
dupic4.jpg
dupic3.jpg
dupic2.jpg
Last edited by Payload4367 on Wed Apr 25, 2018 4:55 am, edited 10 times in total.
Gideon020

Re: Dark Universe wad in progress. Testing and feedback want

Post by Gideon020 »

This looks interesting. I'll give it a go.
Tormentor667

Post by Tormentor667 »

Screenshots?
armymen12002003
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by armymen12002003 »

Nice job with this love this scripted events especially in the 1st map very few space type map wads catch my attention and this is one of them had a lot of fun playing this.
silentw

Post by silentw »

This levelset is really something - I greatly enjoyed my playthrough using iSpook's Shut Up And Bleed.

Some criticism -
The layouts, while they are excellent from a detail and architectural standpoint, are confusing from a design standpoint. It was difficult for me to remember where I needed to go to find an exit, a code-locked door, or really anywhere else I wanted to go, ESPECIALLY after reloading a savegame. That fact that you have cutscenes every time the player frobs a codelocked door is a sign that I think you realized this, at some level. I would suggest some additional texture work - perhaps floor lines, or color coding to show what areas might need an Alpha, Beta or Gamma code.
The 'reactor' map was pretty confusing - you end up going around the same massive room 3 or 4 times, and nothing seems to connect to anything else. The enemies also all get to snipe at you the entire time. I would have liked to traverse the room in a spiral fashion, ending at the top, which would also allow you space the encounters out.

Overall, though, an excellent effort, and I'm looking forward to further maps!
Gollgagh

Post by Gollgagh »

I had to try this a couple times before it clicked; I had to stop navigating like a Doom level, and start navigating more like a Descent level. I would absolutely love to see more maps like this.

Aside from beating on the door-codes thing, the only thing that I didn't like was in level 3, when you head right from the start point, it feels like enemies are spawning behind you every five feet.
Error313

Post by Error313 »

it reminds me of the ship of the first Unreal... a great use of textures although the locked doors are a bit confusing
Payload4367

Post by Payload4367 »

Thanks everyone for all your feedback. It has been very helpful. The final release will be in about 2 weeks and I have made many changes, including: A more streamlined system for opening the locked secret areas, removing 95% of the camera interruptions, new areas in all the maps, new scripted events in all the maps, tweaked monster encounters and item placements, and refinements across the entire wad. There will be a total of 6 maps with enough changes to maps 1 - 5 to encourage everyone to play them again. Thanks again for trying it out.
cortlong50

Post by cortlong50 »

downloading now. ill return with some feedback

EDIT: dude get some screenshots up of this, it looks dope, its really fun, the scripted events are immersive, the ambient sounds are dope, use of textures is great, the 3D floors rule.

pointers: throw "nointermission" in your mapinfo, unless you dig the splash screens.
fix that thing in the second map where you get sucked out and nothing happens (also do you mind if i use the noise from that part?). I'd either go with getting sucked out slower and dying if you reach the end...or have stuff out there to grab. something has to happen but i like where youre going with it.

edit again: in fact...i love this shit. like a lot. you and I have suuuper similar styles of gameplay and mood. if youd ever like to collaborate for a project let me know.
cortlong50

Post by cortlong50 »

some screens if you wanna use em.

https://imgur.com/a/78RXS
Payload4367

Post by Payload4367 »

Thanks a bunch cortlong50. You are absolutely welcome to use any of the assets in this wad. As a matter of fact, you are getting credit for the decorate edit you made for the breaking glass along with enjay and his work that I used in this mapset. The part on map2 is supposed to kill the player. Not sure why it didn't work for you, but if you have any insight I would be grateful. The maps and gameplay elements are now finished (6 total maps, to be continued in upcoming mapsets) and there are a lot of changes/additions to each map. I would love to send you a copy for final testing before I release to public if you are willing. And maybe we could work together on Part 2. All I need to finish now are a couple of music tracks to go in selected areas. Thanks again.
cortlong50

Post by cortlong50 »

Payload4367 wrote:Thanks a bunch cortlong50. You are absolutely welcome to use any of the assets in this wad. As a matter of fact, you are getting credit for the decorate edit you made for the breaking glass along with enjay and his work that I used in this mapset. The part on map2 is supposed to kill the player. Not sure why it didn't work for you, but if you have any insight I would be grateful. The maps and gameplay elements are now finished (6 total maps, to be continued in upcoming mapsets) and there are a lot of changes/additions to each map. I would love to send you a copy for final testing before I release to public if you are willing. And maybe we could work together on Part 2. All I need to finish now are a couple of music tracks to go in selected areas. Thanks again.

idea for the airlock/sucky outty part...just make it so once they leave the threshold of the little hallway they get sucked down it starts a script that has a delay of like....i dunno 20 seconds? and then takes all their health away. something like that. keep it simple.

dude, im always down to playtest some shit, especially maps like this that really push doom. only if you playtest mine afterwards ebcause we have SUPER similar intros hahaha.

and thanks man! that credit would be awesome, i enjoyed it thoroughly (ive been into immersive packs lately) so send anything my way and ill give it a spin.
Payload4367

Re: Dark Universe part 1 released

Post by Payload4367 »

Part one of this project has been released. Link in OP.
Zen3001

Post by Zen3001 »

screenshots would be really nice
Korell

Post by Korell »

Just played through the first four levels using the Dark Forces mod, and I enjoyed it a lot. The only times I had problems was whenever Phase 2 Dark Troopers showed up as they hit hard with rockets in areas where there's little space to move. Not sure which enemy they replace, and I'd guess it is just one of those things from using a weapons and enemies gameplay mod alongside your levels.

Return to “Levels”