The Joy of Mapping 5: Winter Weekend - FINAL.

New maps, and other projects whose primary focus is new maps, belong here.

Note: This forum, and all forums below it, are not for questions or troubleshooting! Threads created here are for active projects only! If you have questions please feel free to use the Editing subforums or General forum.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Jimmy

Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

The Joy of Mapping 5: Winter Weekend - FINAL.

Post by Jimmy »

(Many thanks to Kinsie once again for the art!)

This session is over and the maps are complete! Thanks so much to everyone who participated.

Download Links:
Current Release: FINAL (50MB)
/idgames Mirror
Dropbox Mirror
Powerhouse Mirror
Requires GZDoom's OpenGL renderer.
- Some maps may employ sloped 3D floors which won't render in software mode.
- ZScript is used to add a new level warp cheat and weather effects.
- Crashes may occur in previous GZDoom versions.

Map list:

Code: Select all

- EPISODE 1: TIDINGS OF JOY -

E1M1: Winter Zombieland – Dragonfly
E1M2: Cold-Hearted Experiment – Redead-ITA & AtroNx
E1M3: Orcades – Qeswic
E1M4: Wintersprint – Darwin
E1M5: Frigid Drift – Baratus
E1M6: Together by Light – Wartorn
E1M7: Industry Gone Rogue – A2Rob
E1M8: Solace of Solstice – JBerg
E1M9: Comfy Wedgehouse – Pinchy
E1M10: Once More to Narnia – Breezeep
E1M11: And All I Wanted After This – antares031
E1FINAL: Colddell – kyle2959
E1SECRET: Snowed In – Fonze

- EPISODE 2: IT'S SWAMPLICATED -

E2M1: The Swamp Thing – CardBoxNeko
E2M2: The Old Base – pixeljoelson
E2M3: A Pity Place – boris
E2M4: Deceptive Caverns – zedonk
E2M5: Tainted Basins – Glikkzy
E2M6: Life Under the Surface – Leon Portier
E2M7: Citadel of Blight – Topi
E2M8: Rotting Morass – Trotim
E2M9: Scum Facility – RottKing
E2M10: Colorful Cave – leodoom85
E2M11: Exclusive Economic Zone – Benjogami
E2M12: Dernholm – DukeWooze
E2FINAL: Drag You Under – Obsidian
E2SECRET: Slime Station – Forli

- EPISODE 3: STATE OF SUBMERGENCY -

E3M1: Watery Grave – Mor'ladim
E3M2: Sunken Base – Claus
E3M3: Infernoshock – Gutawer
E3M4: Uh, Is Something Leaking? – Big Ol' Billy
E3M5: Subaqueous Submergence – DrPyspy
E3M6: Underwater Facility HX-9 – StormCatcher.77
E3M7: Rusty Christmas – AtroNx
E3M8: A Specific Ocean – ravagefox
E3M9: Pressure Point – Scotty
E3M10: Liquid Eternity – Moti
E3M11: SC318 Research Station – Worm318
E3M12: Guns Work Underwater – Vortale
E3FINAL: The Healer Stalks – temin_dump
E3SECRET: Marinette's Intent – Nine Inch Heels

- EPISODE 4: AS HEAVENS FALL -

E4M1: Sky Planet Horizon – CanSteam
E4M2: Overground – Matthew
E4M3: The Holtzmann Effect – Minimum Payne
E4M4: Dream Above the Sky – Mysterious Haruko
E4M5: You need to shoot a rocket at the end – Vbob
E4M6: JOM-FacingForts - DGrey
E4M7: Sky Prison – Michal Janiak
E4M8: Airborne Abomination – ArtificialDemon
E4M9: The Sky Colony – Gardevoir
E4FINAL: The Cloud – Diode
E4SECRET: Supay's Gardens – Dobu Gabu Maru
Screenshots:
Spoiler:
=====

Episode 1: Christmas bases! Snowy caverns, villages, mansions, wooden shacks, toy workshops. Common hazard: grey water and ice.
Episode 2: Swamps! Wetlands, mud flats, salt mines. Common hazard: nukage (damaging) / light-green "slimage" (non-damaging).
Episode 3: Undersea! Ocean bases, shipwrecks, sunken cathedrals. Common hazard: blue water.
Episode 4: Sky bases! Airships, hanging gardens, cloud factories. Common hazard: sky. :) (Non-insta-death damaging sky floors preferred.)

=====

Starting December 1st, The Joy of Mapping is returning once again to help mappers young and old get the spark of creativity that they need to make and finish a map all of their own.

This time round, you could be joining a crack team of mappers (new and adept alike) to create a whole episodic megawad of material together. And it should only take us three days to create it all.

Here's how you can get involved!

Countdown timer - How long before the session kicks off!
Discord server - For general communication before, after, and during the session. I and the tutors/mods are happy to provide answers to any queries you may have!
SERVER RULES AND MAPPING GUIDELINES - Highly important! Please read these!!!

What is this?
  • Have you heard of a thing called "Doom mapping" which is that thing a load of snobby retrophiles do for fame and glory?
  • Have you opened up Doom Builder maybe once or twice but been utterly intimidated by the interface?
  • Does mapping seem to you like something best left to "the professionals"?
  • Then come along down! We'll all come together and make a mapset.
Now onto the fun part: The Joy of Mapping 4 was a creative success, so this "Winter Weekend" event will be running for three days, starting December 1st, 2017 @ 12AM EST and running until December 4th, 2017 @ 12AM EST. During that time, we will be creating a megawad's worth of content from mappers of all backgrounds - everyone is welcome. There will as always be an emphasis on allowing new mappers to the community to take their time.

To go into detail of what we will be ending up with:
  • We will be creating 4 episodes of content - see Ultimate Doom for the general gist. Maps should all be for Doom 2, but they can be any map format that GZDoom will load.
  • Once the three-day-long mapping session begins, mappers will need to specify to me which episode they'd like to map for. Each episode will have a unique theme, which will be revealed at the start of the session. I will assign each mapper into one of four teams to work in that will be tackling each episode. You'll get access to your own voice/text channels to discuss mapping with your teammates, and collaborate if need be, plus you'll get the texture WAD that your team of mappers will be working with for your episode.
  • Once the teams are together, the person creating the episode starter and the person creating the episode finale will need to be decided upon. (If this can't be sorted out, then the roles will be doled out at random, but I think we'll figure it out without too much hassle.) The starting map will need to be short and sweet. The finishing map will probably need to be short as well, and feature some sort of climactic fight with one of the standard boss monsters, or a custom monster picked at the mapper's discretion.
  • Collaboration is permitted - i.e. you may start a layout and then give it to another mapper (or offer it to the channel to see who takes it up) so they may add to or finish it. This is in fact encouraged as it builds community!
  • Please refer to the MAPPING GUIDELINES (which are also linked above - yes this document is important!) for general rules on how you should be making your map to ensure it's viable for inclusion in the compilation.
  • Just so it makes things easy for me, here's an info template for when you come to submit your map:

Code: Select all

```
    Map Name: (name of map)
    By: (name you want to be credited under)
    Placement in Episode: (Early/Middle/Late)
    Music Track: (name of music track)
    Music Composer: (name of composer, if known)
    Jump/crouch/freelook allowed: (specify for each)
    Build Time: (days/hours/mins taken, if known - make a guess if unsure)
    Par Time: (minimum time it should take to complete)
    Additional Credits: (credits for any extra resources used)
    ```
Interested? Just show up to the Discord server and express your interest. (You don't need Discord installed, as the web app will do just fine.) Discord, for those not in the know, is a powerful communication program with text chat, voice chat, file sharing, streaming support, and all sorts of other goodies.

You won't need to have voice enabled during the session, but it might help to be aware of what's going on, so joining a voice channel is encouraged, for community-building. There will possibly be streams going on which will also allow you to stay up-to-date with things as they develop. I may be making important announcements over voice, Discord chat, and maybe Twitch chat (if I do end up streaming).

As always, fun is mandatory. See you there, students!

Last edited by Jimmy on Sun Dec 02, 2018 11:19 pm, edited 12 times in total.
Mor'Ladim
Location: An artifact in an image you foolishly saved as a JPEG.

Re: The Joy of Mapping 5 - Winter Weekend

Post by Mor'Ladim »

Oh boy, I believe I'll be able to join this time. I really wanted to join the previous Joy of Mapping project, but was unable to do so due to scheduling conflicts. I've been wanting to create a map for a community project again, just as I did for the 20 Monsters Community Project, so I can't wait for this to get started!
Zedonk

Post by Zedonk »

Speaking of scheduling conflicts, I'm afraid I'm a bit busy on the Friday so I could just join in on the Saturday instead?
I'm looking forward to this and I hope that I can actually finishing a map this time. :P
Anyway, thanks for doing this.
Jimmy

Post by Jimmy »

Sure, this is a pretty casual thing really. You can enter the session and start mapping any time after it's started, but should be submitting your finished map at the end of the session (12AM EST on Dec 4th). Of course if you finish it early though you're allowed to submit before the deadline.

If you still find yourself pressed for time or in a bit of a panic at all, ask for help from the Discord server's tutors, or find a collaborator. :)
Zedonk

Post by Zedonk »

Awesome, thanks :)
Zen3001

Post by Zen3001 »

would love to do that but do we have to finnish the episodes in 2 days?
Gutawer
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Gutawer »

Zen3001 wrote:would love to do that but do we have to finnish the episodes in 2 days?
Everyone makes a map, so you aren't making an episode in 3 days, you're making a singular map, and there's no expectation for it to be lengthy, so the time limit should be completely fine.
Wiw
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Wiw »

I might go for it. The difference in time zone will make it difficult though.
Leon_Portier

Post by Leon_Portier »

I´m interested, but I only can spare 2 evenings. Edit:(registered on discord)
Jimmy

Post by Jimmy »

I've made a bit of a mess of making the "24 hours remaining" posts on here by actually forgetting what time in my timezone we start. Go fig!

So just go by the timer here! Just slightly less than 24 hours to go. :P
http://itsalmo.st/#timeforjomwinterweekend
Wiw
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Wiw »

I don't think that site works, you know, I keep getting a blank page.
Jimmy

Post by Jimmy »

It works for me. Are you running an ad blocker or script blocker or something that might be interfering with it? You might also need javascript enabled.
Jimmy

Post by Jimmy »

Happy December 1st! Welcome to ❄ The Joy of Mapping 5 - Winter Weekend. ❄
Time to make another megawad together.

Discord server - Join NOW to be part of this!

=====

HERE ARE YOUR THEMES!
Episode 1: Christmas bases! Snowy caverns, villages, mansions, wooden shacks, toy workshops. Common hazard: grey water and ice.
Episode 2: Swamps! Wetlands, mud flats, salt mines. Common hazard: nukage (damaging) / light-green "slimage" (non-damaging).
Episode 3: Undersea! Ocean bases, shipwrecks, sunken cathedrals. Common hazard: blue water.
Episode 4: Sky bases! Airships, hanging gardens, cloud factories. Common hazard: sky. :) (Non-insta-death damaging sky floors preferred.)

Texture packs for G/ZDoom: [Episode 1] [Episode 2] [Episode 3] [Episode 4]
Texture packs for Boom: [Episode 1] [Episode 2] [Episode 3] [Episode 4]

Optional "jimmytex" resource: [Download]
Miscellaneous stock texture edits mostly by yours truly.
Optional "zoontex" resource:  [Download]
A plethora of stock texture recolors in pretty much every palette range. Leans towards the "hellish caverns" aesthetic - no tech texture recolors are present.

=====

With the themes revealed:
  • Please either make a post in this thread saying which episode you'd like to map for, OR (preferably) join my Discord and look in the #session-general channel for instructions on how to be a part of the session.
  • Please only choose one theme. You can always change your mind. If you want to make more than map, that's fine if you know you can do so in three days, but ideally we all should just be working on one at a time.
  • If you want to make an episode opener or finale, you'll have to join my Discord as soon as you can to get in quick and secure your place, as only eight slots in the project exist for these special levels, and they might all go straight away, since Discord is an instant chat medium, as opposed to a forum.
I'll tally up the posts in this thread in a short while, and add you all to the teams accordingly. You'll then all get access to unique text/voice channels on my Discord. Ideally the teams should be of similar size, so please be considerate when voting!

Time to kick back and map. Have fun, everyone! o/
Jimmy

Re: The Joy of Mapping 5 - Winter Weekend - START MAPPING!

Post by Jimmy »

24 hours gone! We have two days left of mapping. :)
http://itsalmo.st/#timetostopmappingjom5

The Discord has been very active and there is some very promising stuff being made. I'm excited for what we'll end up with!

For anyone yet to start their submission, 2 days is still a good amount of time to knock out a layout and get a decently-sized, functional map. As always, the tutors are on hand to help with anything. Let's get to work!
Jimmy

Re: The Joy of Mapping 5 - Winter Weekend - START MAPPING!

Post by Jimmy »

Alright! The session ended a few hours ago. Many thanks to all the tutors and students who diligently mapped (and helped with mapping) over the last three days! Congrats for pulling through. Got a bit frantic for a few folks at the end there and I'm sure more than a few hours of sleep were lost, but we got there!

The maps are presently being compiled and we've ended up with a staggering 55 submissions.

Episode 1: 12 maps
Episode 2: 15 maps
Episode 3: 17 maps
Episode 4: 11 maps

A... bit of an imbalance there, but hey. That's 55 maps right there that didn't exist 3 days ago! Gotta be some kind of achievement.

This marks the beginning of the internal testing period. Some people on the Discord are already underway with going through the submissions one by one and offer critique (RedoLane has offered to do just that), so if you're interested in joining in, head on over there and await the compilation! I'm going as fast as I can. D:

Return to “Levels”