The Alfonzone

New maps, and other projects whose primary focus is new maps, belong here.

Note: This forum, and all forums below it, are not for questions or troubleshooting! Threads created here are for active projects only! If you have questions please feel free to use the Editing subforums or General forum.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
StroggVorbis
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Re: The Alfonzone

Post by StroggVorbis »

I'm currently playing through Episode 5 and am enjoying it so far. However, there's an oversight in most, if not all of the maps, that I'm unsure how to fix:

You can't trigger specials assigned to ammo, weapons, health and armor, if your current amount prevents you from picking up the item in question. On one side, this allowed me to avoid enemy ambushes, on the other hand prevented me from progressing in some maps.

Apart from this I'd hope to see The Alfonzone get nominated for 2017's Cacowards :D
Pinchy

Post by Pinchy »

Thanks, I've modified some item triggers already and the changes will be in the next version (1.02)
Pinchy

Post by Pinchy »

Version 1.02 https://drive.google.com/open?id=1SJv8a ... WrnWGvY0GQ

Fixes

- Map 1 Out of bounds by jumping over the eastern wall
- Map 13 Initial monster alert trigger
- Map 23 falling stairs poison damage reduced, soulsphere added
- Map 27 start changed so you can kill the archvile or hold out
- Map 29 central section ice now melts and removes damage, switches are wider and more visible
- Map 35 berserk pack progression trigger changed to a switch
- Map 43 north eastern fence now impassible to prevent out of bounds
- Map 49 basement elevators with shoot switch
- Map 61 precision error in nodes
- Map 61 unstuck added after exiting 45
- Minor texture and lighting fixes on 5 maps

Changes

- Map 47 some trees removed to ease movement out of the gate area
- Map 48 blue switch raising trigger set to kill most imps or a single cyberdemon to give better options
- Map 49 helm switch texture changed to be more obvious
- Various small balance tweaks
Rachael
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Rachael »

Pinchy, I love the aesthetic of these levels, of course I realize the play style probably isn't for me and I ran into a lot of issues with being unable to progress past a certain point in many levels, but I am still loving the design of them.
_mental_

Post by _mental_ »

Indeed, it's quite disappointing when ambushes or secrets or any other events imaginable (especially those related to map progression) are triggered by picking up weapon/ammo/armor.
What if player has enough of ammo/armor and won't pick it up by default, i.e. without wasting the corresponding resource first? IMHO it's much better when sectors operate as triggers, not items.
kadu522
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10

Post by kadu522 »

i Should have said this for some time now but.

I noticed that you have a new statusbar hud for alfonzone and thats good BUT. it breaks other mods huds if the use the statusbar slot.

Also some sprites get their "Head shaved" for some odd reason.
Pinchy

Post by Pinchy »

It's a standard HUD replacement graphic. The only sprite edits were some colour fixes.

Version 1.02b https://drive.google.com/open?id=1cocc9 ... JrFxvBvoS0

Fixes

Map 12 - Missing liquid when lowering the slow lift in the central chamber
Map 15 - Reworked the spider mastermind trigger to the newer version so it can retry it's teleport
Map 22 - Secret mid textures
Map 24 - Incorrect tag prevented some monsters from entering the map
Map 29 - Alignment of the railings on the upper central walkway fixed
Map 41 - Redesigned scripts to prevent jumping into the exit early and cutting off the music ending
Minor texture errors in 2 maps

Changes

Map 15 - SSG trigger now change to enter sector in case of full ammo
Map 18 - Fences set to allow projectiles to pass through
Map 20 - Railings in the BFG room now allow projectiles to pass through
Map 24 - Yellow key pillar trigger set to sector entry instead of armour pickup in case of having more than 100%
Map 25 - Rocket launcher pickup trigger swapped to sector entry in case of full ammo
Map 28 - Railings near the exit now allow imp projectiles to pass through
The Ultimate DooMer

Post by The Ultimate DooMer »

Just finished playing this...all I can say is wow.

This mod is a shining example of how to integrate ZDoom features (esp. 3D floors) into vanilla gameplay, while the heavier scripts mainly focus on looks and map progression. Throw in a great variety of themes, clever uses of scripting, difficult gameplay (moreso with the curious lack of bags) and lots of memorable moments.

It still has flaws ofc - notably the weapon/ammo/armour-based triggers (an invisible pickup on top of them would've done the trick) and the occasional set-piece that wasn't worth trying without cheats (usually in the first or last map of an episode) but that doesn't take away from the brilliance.

forget "Enjay was robbed"...this is the real heist right here.
StroggVorbis

Post by StroggVorbis »

Out of curiosity, is there a way to grab the BFG in MAP03 behind the window in the shop at the end of the level, or is it just there to tease the player? I noclipped into it and noticed that you gave it an Exit_Normal special.
Someone64

Post by Someone64 »

I think I'm seeing a pattern of mods that aren't compatible with teleport encounters of these maps. All the mods that don't seem to work take a few tics to spawn all the monsters which probably ruins your script for aggro'ing them at the beginning. Maybe if you made it so that it was a delayed it would fix the issue? There could even be similar issues with items that take a few tics to spawn.
StroggVorbis

Post by StroggVorbis »

Someone64 wrote:I think I'm seeing a pattern of mods that aren't compatible with teleport encounters of these maps. All the mods that don't seem to work take a few tics to spawn all the monsters which probably ruins your script for aggro'ing them at the beginning. Maybe if you made it so that it was a delayed it would fix the issue? There could even be similar issues with items that take a few tics to spawn.
I already mentioned this issue in a few conflicting mods' threads. This problem isn't (solely) caused by Alfonzone, but by mods who don't transfer their specials and TIDs to the replaced actors. Smooth Doom's a prime example. It misses two flags and one actor property, this causes it to not work with any maps that employ ACS or UDMF features.

The other reason why monsters aren't teleported in, is because their speed is set too high. Look at the automap with am_cheat 2 so you can see things as triangles, and if this is the case, an unspawned monster walks back and forth in its monster closet without triggering the teleport line because it's too fast. In that case, the closet could be made longer.
Pinchy

Post by Pinchy »

DabbingSquidward wrote:Out of curiosity, is there a way to grab the BFG in MAP03 behind the window in the shop at the end of the level, or is it just there to tease the player? I noclipped into it and noticed that you gave it an Exit_Normal special.
At one point before release every map cleared the players inventory

Some time around November I decided that it was better to give the player the choice to pistol start except at the start of a new episode

This meant that the players inventory was not cleared and I couldn't give them a free BFG at the end of MAP03, so it was changed to a switch

The Exit_Normal action was left on it though (I leave certain things in as little memories of the levels history)
StroggVorbis

Post by StroggVorbis »

Pinchy wrote:At one point before release every map cleared the players inventory

Some time around November I decided that it was better to give the player the choice to pistol start except at the start of a new episode

This meant that the players inventory was not cleared and I couldn't give them a free BFG at the end of MAP03, so it was changed to a switch

The Exit_Normal action was left on it though (I leave certain things in as little memories of the levels history)
Well, now that's some interesting piece of backstory :D
Wait, does that mean that the BFG still was intended as a prank? From what you said, it ended the level but your inventory was reset on map change anyway.
Btw, I completed your maps some time ago, all with pistol starts and boy, was it hard :shock:
Pinchy

Post by Pinchy »

Version 1.03

Fixes

Missing textures in 1 map
Map 5 - Elevator reworked to fix some moving sector problems
Map 15 - The plasma gun ambush now shouldn't give people flashbacks to Urania
Map 18 - Lift fixes
Map 29 - Blue skull is now flagged to appear on Easy and Medium
Map 48 - The megasphere secret area can now also be exited in a counter-clockwise direction
Map 1, 3, 4, 6, 7, 8, 9, 12, 14, 16, 19, 20, 24, 30, 32, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 42, 43, 45, 46, 47, 50, 61 - Minor fixes and tweaks
Map 38 - CWILV spelling corrected
Map 43 - Additional secret flags removed
Map 45 - Minor adjustments
Map 49 - Crushers now hurt 100% of the time

Removed nearly all cases where having maximum ammo and not being able to pick up a weapon or ammo would prevent you from progressing, activating a secret or releasing monsters into the playable area

The remaining progression critical triggers moved from item pickups to sector or line triggers

TITLEPIC episode 10 image now updated to the finished version of the map, maximum rustling of the Jimmy enabled

Changes

Map 1 - Kitchen and library lift refit, exit adjusted (easier to pickup the soup for the hobo)
Map 04 - Basement Bowling renamed to About Town
Map 12 - Exit platforming now requires only running straight
Map 20 - Tunnel Toxin renamed to Toxic Terror
Map 21 - Changed pain elemental trigger so it's impossible to skip, Sector_SetLink lift
Map 25 - Shickles Origins DLC installed
Map 28 - Secret medikit swapped with health bonuses so they can always be picked up

In case anyone does no monster runs in a distant future speedrunning dystopia, the initial walls now lower immediately

Map 30 - Crypt lifts tweaked
Map 36 - Secret medikit swapped with health bonuses so they can always be picked up
Map 50 - Powerup additions to wave 10 for Easy and Medium

LANGUAGE (text screen) adjustments: Maps 4, 6 and 17

Additions

Map 04 - The town is now named
Map 18 - Additional secret
Map 49 - The automatic doors now have 100% more *sshhht*
WADINFO lump/Text file updated (work in progress)
LANGUAGE (text screen) additional content: Map 18
Last edited by Pinchy on Sat Jun 30, 2018 7:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
_mental_

Post by _mental_ »

MAP02 still contains a chaingun (thing #4) that triggers spawning of imps and zombiemen (depends on difficulty).
This doesn't prevent progression but makes 100% kills impossible without picking it up.

MAP05 has teleport destination (thing #412) which is missing on lower skill levels.
This makes 100% kills impossible with skill 1 and 2.

Return to “Levels”