By The Pricking of My Thumbs .... [Released]

New maps, and other projects whose primary focus is new maps, belong here.

Note: This forum, and all forums below it, are not for questions or troubleshooting! Threads created here are for active projects only! If you have questions please feel free to use the Editing subforums or General forum.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
ReX

Re: By The Pricking of My Thumbs .... [Released]

Post by ReX »

cortlong50 wrote:so far im loving it.
Thank you; I'm glad you like it.
i like how the first three maps are pretty mellow and then map04 is just like "okay...die"
Yes, one of the beta testers pointed out that the difficulty ramps up with Map04. If you're playing with a pistol start, the trick is to run straight ahead after picking up the shotgun and green armor near the start, ignoring the hitscan enemies until you have reached the end of that corridor and turned right or left. [You will take minor damage, but nothing compared to what would happen if you wake up the enemies before you pick up the shotgun & armor.]

The zip download contains a file named secrets.txt, which provides tips for some of the maps. Review that file if you're having a particularly difficult time with any particular map.
cortlong50

Post by cortlong50 »

ReX wrote:
cortlong50 wrote:so far im loving it.
Thank you; I'm glad you like it.
i like how the first three maps are pretty mellow and then map04 is just like "okay...die"
Yes, one of the beta testers pointed out that the difficulty ramps up with Map04. If you're playing with a pistol start, the trick is to run straight ahead after picking up the shotgun and green armor near the start, ignoring the hitscan enemies until you have reached the end of that corridor and turned right or left. [You will take minor damage, but nothing compared to what would happen if you wake up the enemies before you pick up the shotgun & armor.]

The zip download contains a file named secrets.txt, which provides tips for some of the maps. Review that file if you're having a particularly difficult time with any particular map.
nope nope nope, my comment was meant sincerely. i like that. i want challenge and death and mayhem. and you delivered man. im having a blast.
ReX

Post by ReX »

cortlong50 wrote:i want challenge and death and mayhem. and you delivered man. im having a blast.
Wait until Map08, then. :twisted:
ReX

Post by ReX »

Here's an interesting (but, for me, a surreal) play-through of all 11 maps of the game:

Some notes. The author:

1. Has used the Trailblazer mod, which provides ridiculously over-powered weapons for the resistance encountered these maps.
2. Has not particularly cared about 100% kills.
3. Has not particularly cared about finding secrets
4. Has used jumping freely (but this has not resulted in circumventing essential parts of the game).
5. Has not used pistol starts
6. Has eliminated damage from nukage, slime, etc.

Still, the style of playing, coupled with the Trailblazer mod, makes for an enjoyable view of the play-through. Three thumbs up! :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:
Rachael
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Rachael »

One thing you can do is put NoJump and NoCrouch in the map's definition (use ZMAPINFO for port compatibility) - most Youtube content creators will respect that, unless they are intent on cheating. Anyone else can use sv_allowjump/sv_allowcrouch to override it if they really want to.

Eternity's EMAPINFO (global MAPINFO lump) is not documented as supporting this feature but it's worth a try anyway.
cortlong50

Post by cortlong50 »

ReX wrote:Here's an interesting (but, for me, a surreal) play-through of all 11 maps of the game:

Some notes. The author:

1. Has used the Trailblazer mod, which provides ridiculously over-powered weapons for the resistance encountered these maps.
2. Has not particularly cared about 100% kills.
3. Has not particularly cared about finding secrets
4. Has used jumping freely (but this has not resulted in circumventing essential parts of the game).
5. Has not used pistol starts
6. Has eliminated damage from nukage, slime, etc.

Still, the style of playing, coupled with the Trailblazer mod, makes for an enjoyable view of the play-through. Three thumbs up! :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

you know what? i like seeing you support other peoples playstyles hahaha some people get so bent out of shape about that.

just for the record i didnt start with pistols andjump (but never to get around stuff, more enemy avoidance) and the flow is perfect.

whatever tickles your pickle as they say.

ALSO.

dude you warned me about map08? map 8 was brutal...ill give you that.

but what the HELL was up with map09!? hahaha dude that was a test of merit, holy shit. i play without map on UV and it was like being caned by a kung fu master.
ReX

Post by ReX »

cortlong50 wrote:you know what? i like seeing you support other peoples playstyles hahaha some people get so bent out of shape about that.
The great thing about creating maps for vanilla/Chocolate Doom, is that people can use whichever source port and whichever resource mods they like. As for play-styles, I particularly enjoy watching people blaze through maps (which is what the YouTube vide shows), which is so unlike my cautious play-style.
but what the HELL was up with map09!? hahaha dude that was a test of merit, holy shit. i play without map on UV and it was like being caned by a kung fu master.
"...caned by a kung fu master". Heh.
If you find the secrets, the map is much more manageable, even with a pistol start. And the secrets are, typically, quite easy to find. [Read the secrets.txt file.]
Rachael wrote:One thing you can do is put NoJump and NoCrouch in the map's definition (use ZMAPINFO for port compatibility) - most Youtube content creators will respect that, unless they are intent on cheating. Anyone else can use sv_allowjump/sv_allowcrouch to override it if they really want to.

Eternity's EMAPINFO (global MAPINFO lump) is not documented as supporting this feature but it's worth a try anyway.
I don't particularly want to prevent players from jumping, unless it results in essential parts of the map being circumvented. Even then, it doesn't bother me (as long as players don't create a rant about how they got stuck in an area after they jumped in). As for not playing with pistol starts, I say: "whatever floats your boat, man"; the point was to stay somewhat close to the game-play intention of the original DooM2.

Return to “Levels”