Obligatory - 32 Map Community Project

New maps, and other projects whose primary focus is new maps, belong here.

Note: This forum, and all forums below it, are not for questions or troubleshooting! Threads created here are for active projects only! If you have questions please feel free to use the Editing subforums or General forum.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Quantum_Dranger

Obligatory - 32 Map Community Project

Post by Quantum_Dranger »

Ever generated a map with Oblige that, with some human modification, could become a fine-tuned well-paced quality map? This community project sets out to create a 32 map boom-compatible megawad out of procedural-manual synergy. To join, generate a map, figure out the direction you'll take the map and reserve a slot or express interest. All mappers, from beginner to expert are encouraged to join.

Rules
[*]Must use doom 2 as an IWAD
[*]Be boom-compatible (MAPINFO for minor zdoom features is allowed as boom does not parse it)
[*]Completable
[*]Have varying difficulty based on skill level.
[*]Factor in OBLIGE's graphic changes i.e. CEMENT, GORA0, LIFTFLAT, RWDMON, etc. (can be found below)
[*]Custom music and titles are allowed
[*]Maps 1-6 are underground themed, 7-11 are placed in the starport, maps 11-20 are city levels and 21-30 are hell levels.
[*]Map 7, 11, 20 and 30 should be based off simple, gallows, gotcha and icon.wad (can be found below)
[*]Map 15 and Map 31 should include secret exits.
[*]Limit nazis and commander keen to the secret levels.

Goal

32 Quality maps abiding by the above rules by September 1st 2017.

Resources

http://oblige.sourceforge.net/

http://www.mediafire.com/file/hluj8w3bt ... ssmaps.zip

http://www.mediafire.com/file/cc102bfc4 ... ources.zip

Map Reservations
MAP01: http://www.mediafire.com/file/hd42ow1io ... Quarry.wad (Quantum_Dranger)
MAP02: Open
MAP03: Open
MAP04: Open
MAP05: Open
MAP06: Open
MAP07: Reserved by Redead-ITA
MAP08: Open
MAP09: Open
MAP10: Open
MAP11: Open
MAP12: Open
MAP13: Open
MAP14: Open
MAP15: Open
MAP16: Open
MAP17: Open
MAP18: Open
MAP19: Open
MAP20: Open
MAP21: Open
MAP22: Open
MAP23: Open
MAP24: Open
MAP25: Open
MAP26: Open
MAP27: Open
MAP28: Open
MAP29: Open
MAP30: Open

Secret Maps
MAP31: Open
MAP32: Open

Interested Mappers

Benjogami
Rorix
VOliver9

Doomworld Thread
https://www.doomworld.com/forum/topic/9 ... nt-1777250
Last edited by Quantum_Dranger on Tue Aug 08, 2017 4:03 pm, edited 4 times in total.
joe-ilya

Re: Obligatory - 32 Map Community Project

Post by joe-ilya »

Woah, woah, woah! You're jumping onto the 32 map community project bandwagon quite quickly, tone it down to 5 maps or keep it private at least.
First of all, the idea is pretty stupid, since Oblige already makes pleasing maps, in gameplay and architecture (although it's repetitive) and all I can see in your map is some slight thing adjustment and detail being thrown in and nothing much.
Secondly, your idea isn't very original, there was a tiny community project of 6 maps called "All SLIGE'd Up" and it worked with a much more primitive map generator which made the mappers get more creative since the original generated SLIGE maps are rather jagged, awkward, ugly and bland but still had some interesting layouts.

I would've been interested to participate if you were less ambitious with this idea.
meatman12

Post by meatman12 »

This. Although;
...since Oblige already makes pleasing maps...
Not entirely true, at least in my experience. OBLIGE maps can use a lot of fine tuning after being made.
Mánibranðr System
Preferred Pronouns: They/Them

Post by Mánibranðr System »

joe-ilya wrote:Woah, woah, woah! You're jumping onto the 32 map community project bandwagon quite quickly, tone it down to 5 maps or keep it private at least.
First of all, the idea is pretty stupid, since Oblige already makes pleasing maps, in gameplay and architecture (although it's repetitive) and all I can see in your map is some slight thing adjustment and detail being thrown in and nothing much.
Secondly, your idea isn't very original, there was a tiny community project of 6 maps called "All SLIGE'd Up" and it worked with a much more primitive map generator which made the mappers get more creative since the original generated SLIGE maps are rather jagged, awkward, ugly and bland but still had some interesting layouts.

I would've been interested to participate if you were less ambitious with this idea.
While i do see your point, i don't see the point of discouraging someone from reaching for the stars. After all, falling short of it still means making good headway. I do see this as a fun project if you ask me, although I don't recommend having Oblige place the monsters for you, by the time you're done tweaking the monster placement, you'd have pretty much replaced all the monsters placed by Oblige.
The Ultimate DooMer

Post by The Ultimate DooMer »

joe-ilya wrote:Secondly, your idea isn't very original, there was a tiny community project of 6 maps called "All SLIGE'd Up" and it worked with a much more primitive map generator which made the mappers get more creative since the original generated SLIGE maps are rather jagged, awkward, ugly and bland but still had some interesting layouts.
There was also the Freakmapping contests (also using SLIGE), which were even more creative due to the use of ZDoom features. (and the fact that they all had to use the same generated map to start with)

Return to “Levels”