[v4] Kinsie's Gameplay Mod Test Map (Updated 12 Feb 22)

New maps, and other projects whose primary focus is new maps, belong here.

Note: This forum, and all forums below it, are not for questions or troubleshooting! Threads created here are for active projects only! If you have questions please feel free to use the Editing subforums or General forum.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Nash

Re: [v3.2] Kinsie's Gameplay Mod Test Map

Post by Nash »

Another suggestion:

Doors. In case someone wants to make gameplay mods that interact with doors. :P
Tc_667

Post by Tc_667 »

I can say without questionig myself that this is one of the most functional test maps, but it needs some little polishing, like different types of interruptors, or a door.

i would also like a better disposition of the monster spawner, summoning a zombieman is time consuming and sometimes activating the interruptor multiple times does not spawn more monsters, but overall, i can´t find a better example of a testing map

:thumb:
Xterra
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Win7 SP1 / Tiny10 dualboot
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Xterra »

This thing's proven invaluable for testing, time and again.

I'd also like to second the suggestions for stuff like various types of doors (slow, fast, "elevator" doors, sliding doors, etc.) and switches ("use" switches, shootable switches, PCross lines, shootable walls, Quake-like touch switches, pressure plates...) to test too, should somebody's mod require such testing. Best suggestion I can come up with for room placement is to have it accessible from the "slow elevator" room to the north or to the south via a passage cut out of the mirror wall?
cubebert
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by cubebert »

How difficult would it be to add a Strife version of the test maps? I've been looking at testing out gameplay mods with Strife compatibility but there aren't any maps that aren't like these ones. I wanted to try triggering flags for getting the Sigil and other quest flags so that I don't have to go through the whole game for them and I think this map's format will serve my needs.
Nash

Post by Nash »

I have another request - I'd like a section that has shallow 3D water, that then progressively gets deeper. To test the various waterlevels. :D
Kinsie

Post by Kinsie »

Nash wrote:I have another request - I'd like a section that has shallow 3D water, that then progressively gets deeper. To test the various waterlevels. :D
Good call, I keep meaning to push an update out for this.
DOOMPiter

Post by DOOMPiter »

Hmm, it seems that the download link appears to not be working properly, for me at least. Either that or the link is broken.
wildweasel
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

DOOMPiter wrote:Hmm, it seems that the download link appears to not be working properly, for me at least. Either that or the link is broken.
Works for me. :shrug:
DOOMPiter

Post by DOOMPiter »

wildweasel wrote:
DOOMPiter wrote:Hmm, it seems that the download link appears to not be working properly, for me at least. Either that or the link is broken.
Damn. So the link doesn't work for me. Shucks. :cry:
Kinsie

Post by Kinsie »

DOOMPiter wrote:
wildweasel wrote:
Damn. So the link doesn't work for me. Shucks. :cry:
Chrome violently hates HTTP links (somewhat understandably...) and will refuse to download stuff from links using them. I've just changed the link to use HTTPS, that should make it work properly.
Delfino Furioso

Post by Delfino Furioso »

hi sorry for bumping this but I was wondering: are there any maps similar in concepts to these, but developed for limit removing and/or boom/mbf compatible engines?

i'm looking for some sort of monsters/weapons/items/decorations showroom that would help me identify if a wad replaces some of the stock resources
Delfino Furioso

Post by Delfino Furioso »

Delfino Furioso wrote:hi sorry for bumping this but I was wondering: are there any maps similar in concept to these, but developed for limit removing and/or boom/mbf compatible engines?
I've found a wad over at idgames
I'll link it here in case anybody is interested
https://www.doomworld.com/idgames/prefabs/testmap
Lord Misfit

Post by Lord Misfit »

So the other day, while testing some stuff related to Death Exits in a mod of mine, I decided to take DOOMTEST.wad and update it with a controlled death exit switch. It's next to the other exit types near the start. I didn't do this for the other maps because I'm not sure how you'd similarly induce a death exit in Heretic and Hexen modes. :V

I figure I'd offer this revised version if you/others want to use it or make it an official update.
Attachments
DOOMTEST-deathexit.zip
A modded version with Death Exit testing added.
(94.53 KiB) Downloaded 81 times
Kinsie

Re: [v4] Kinsie's Gameplay Mod Test Map (Updated 12 Feb 22)

Post by Kinsie »

Hola! I was reminded that people find this useful the other day, so I wrapped up a long, long overdue update.

All Maps:
Added tests for doors, lifts, crushers (including crushing polyobjects), fall damage, self-building staircases and teleporters.

Doom:
Added tests for several common portal types
Added a room with an Icon of Sin setup for testing that stuff
Added a death exit switch (seperate to Lord Misfit's, I completely forgot to check this thread first!)

Strife:
Did my first pass on a Strife test map. Not finished. Tell me what you need and I will add it.
cubebert
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Re: [v4] Kinsie's Gameplay Mod Test Map (Updated 12 Feb 22)

Post by cubebert »

The Strife test map is excellent, Kinsie! The only things I would add to the map is a way to activate different game endings and a way to spawn the ceiling turrets. Otherwise, this is very handy for testing gameplay mods that have Strife compatibility.

Return to “Levels”