The Joy of Mapping 4: Summer School - FINAL.

New maps, and other projects whose primary focus is new maps, belong here.

Note: This forum, and all forums below it, are not for questions or troubleshooting! Threads created here are for active projects only! If you have questions please feel free to use the Editing subforums or General forum.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Voltcom9

Re: The Joy of Mapping 4 - Summer School (BETA RELEASED!)

Post by Voltcom9 »

This is a really fun set of maps so far! Excellent job to everyone involved in episode 1 as that's as far as I've seen so far. :P

I really, really like the caribean vibe of this wad and find it to be a very relaxing. Hopefully this theme will make an appearance in future
wads and mods. Anyways, good work.
Jimmy

Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Re: The Joy of Mapping 4 - Summer School (BETA RELEASED!)

Post by Jimmy »

Public Beta 2 (30MB)

Changes:
  • Buncha updates to pretty much all the maps. They should all be up to date per the mappers' submissions now, or so help me god.
  • Some beautiful new tropical-themed pickups, sprited by Cage (stimpack and medikit were whipped up very quickly by me). These are in a separate archive called "joymaps4-newitems.wad" - loading them is optional, given only Episode 1 is the tropical-themed set of maps.
  • Optimised the IDROSS cheat - it no longer triggers text intermissions. With the new changes, however, it's easy to accidentally crash to console by warping to an invalid map. I will definitely iron this out in time.
  • Text intermissions now go back to the title screen instead of the hub. Not my preferred implementation, but it's to allow for the above.
  • Episode 4 ending music changed, and it now has a proper story paragraph. Thanks, an_mutt!
  • Other stuff I dunno it's 4am.
Last edited by Jimmy on Sun Aug 06, 2017 9:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jimmy

Re: The Joy of Mapping 4 - Summer School (BETA TWO OUT)

Post by Jimmy »

Public Beta 2.1 (30MB)
Dropbox Mirror

Changes:
  • Removed some of the new sprites from the main PK3 that shouldn't have been there. :/
  • Applied updates to a few more maps (E3M1, E3M2, E3M4, E3M8) that were updated in the interim.
Cryomundus

Re: The Joy of Mapping 4 - Summer School (BETA 2.1, lol)

Post by Cryomundus »

Tried playing this with High Noon Drifter, and apparently this doesn't play too well with gameplay mods like that. Tried e1m1 and I can't select the shotgun when I pick it up. Got the revolver, but nothing else.

Edit: However, if I "give all" before I enter a episode, it seems to work just fine, so it might be something to do with whatever takes away your weapons when you enter the hub map.
Jimmy

Post by Jimmy »

What joymaps4 beta, plus which version of HND, plus which version of GZDoom, were you using?

I wasn't able to replicate this - I just walked through the portal to E1M1 and was able to use/select the weapons exactly as expected. What should happen is the inventory gets completely cleared for the HUB map, then reset for the episode openers, which means the playerclass should start with all the items and weapons necessary as soon as the gameplay starts.

If anyone else is getting this problem, with HND or other mods, they'll need to let me know, since maybe there is an underlying problem somewhere but since I can't reproduce it I don't entirely know how I'd go about addressing it. :shrug:
Cryomundus

Post by Cryomundus »

Disregard what I said, it seems to be working fine. I can't seem to replicate what happened before, tho I swear when I grabbed the shotgun in e1m1 I could not select it.

Then again, I was also super tired that day and probably did something stupid I shouldn't have done. Sorry for the scare. :oops:
Jimmy

Re: The Joy of Mapping 4: Summer School - FINAL.

Post by Jimmy »

I am overjoyed to - finally - announce that this edition of The Joy of Mapping has been released in full, and is awaiting approval on /idgames.

I would like to apologise profusely to the participants of this project for the nearly year-long wait for the project to get to this point. I have no excuses. It won't happen again.

Download Links:
/idgames Mirror
Dropbox Mirror
Powerhouse Mirror

You'll find a new "pistol starts" switch in the hub - special thanks to m8f for allowing me to use their ZScript wizardry in this.
A few of the maps have had little fixes - nothing particularly major.

Return to “Levels”