RETRO HERETIC MAPS / H!ZONE [Re-Upload]

New maps, and other projects whose primary focus is new maps, belong here.

NOTE: This forum, and all forums below it, are NOT for questions or troubleshooting! Threads here are for active projects only! Please use the Editing subforums or General for questions.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are ONLY for YOUR PROJECTS! If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.

Re: RETRO HERETIC MAPS / H!ZONE [Re-Upload]

Postby SiFi270 » Mon Oct 12, 2020 5:28 am

Thanks for looking into it. I should have known you'd come up with a more efficient way of doing what I thought would be so daunting.
SiFi270

Re: RETRO HERETIC MAPS / H!ZONE [Re-Upload]

Postby NightFright » Mon Oct 12, 2020 6:06 am

Yeah, and I am glad it was so easy after all. Wouldn't have wanted to play through all those maps properly again just for this.

Fun fact:
It seems that this separate wad with sprites the original H!Zone shipped with contained the stalagmite/stalagtite replacements as well as the Iron Lich/Undead Warrior substitutes. That means in theory you would have only been able to play through ep.1 with the new enemies while not having these fake stools popping up here or there. That could have hardly been intended. Anyway, it's now entirely possible to use the enemy sprites in any episode without having to worry about this unwanted side effect.
NightFright
Spotlight Team

H!Zone v1.21

Postby NightFright » Tue Oct 13, 2020 2:44 am

Hotfix time! Mostly I did this to replace most map fixes with a ZScript solution, allowing usage of the original versions of the maps (only did not work in case of E1M4, but there I found a different solution which at least does not involve adding new lines, only editing existing ones). I also used the wrong sector ID for the E1M2 lift fix, so it did not work before (but should now).
The most important change is the one for E3M9 - now you don't end the map any longer by triggering an invisible line in the final area, but instead you have to kill all four Undead Warriors (called "Masked Knights" now) on top of their towers. This is a far better approach since it gives you control over what's happening and you don't accidentally leave without killing everything. That and the map didn't have to be edited for this any more (ZScript ftw).

H!Zone for ZDoom v1.21 (PK3, 4.2 MB)

Changelog v1.21 (Oct 13, 2020)
> Reverted most changed maps (E1M2, E3M9, E4M6, E4M8, E6M3, E6M7) to their original (non-edited) state and re-applied fixes via ZScript
> E1M2: Corrected sector ID for green key lift fix (sector #247 instead of #230)
> E1M4: Inverted metal bar lines #1268-1271 (instead of creating new ones)
> E3M9: Changed map ending (now all four Undead Warriors in the final area need to be killed)
> MAPINFO: Removed dummy episode as separator between SP and MP episodes (MP content is now marked with [MULTIPLAYER] tag instead)
> LANGUAGE: Changed obituary for Undead Warrior from "Skull Knight" to "Masked Knight"
NightFright
Spotlight Team

Previous

Return to Levels