[Conceptual Resource Map] Akzos City

New maps, and other projects whose primary focus is new maps, belong here.

Note: This forum, and all forums below it, are not for questions or troubleshooting! Threads created here are for active projects only! If you have questions please feel free to use the Editing subforums or General forum.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Zanieon
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

[Conceptual Resource Map] Akzos City

Post by Zanieon »

Well i guess after a so long time since the last thread of this which didn't went well, i finally feel that it is more than time to i release this thing officially since it was just occupying space in my disk for nothing but still can be usefull for someone i hope.

Alright here's the story, back in 2011 i made this map and wanted this to be the reboot of the old Doom Reinforced, my very first mod, which was messy and weird in everything but maps, with the Industron visual established i decided to start it again and drive its gameplay style towards Silent Hill mood, however my lack of ideas and design decisions for this map made me scrap it and since then, it was kept with me and only very old friends and never went public.

But enough for me i feel as did to Doom Reinforced which i separed the maps from the shitty gameplay mod it was, this one is no different, i removed all the weird conceptual gameplay codes and stuff leaving only the map to show its beauty, anyway keep in mind that this stuff is from 2011 and it was from the early age of my coding, so you will find messy stuff there, i just fixed the few issues to run properly in newer GZDooms, but with the code simple as the actors in this map is, i think the engine's development will not break this map, anyway if it breaks i may update if the thing is not several.

Screeshots:

Download (28MB)

You will not find monsters there, also no weapons but there's few items across the map which was there for the early gameplay which was meant to be some sort of Invasion map for Zandronum (Skulltag by the age it was made), you can enter in the Tactical Sekt building as well the small one behind it, all the rest is locked.

Also inside the PK3 there are additional unused ambient sounds coming from Hellgate: Global, i added them but never used, though i hope someone may find them helpfull in their projects.

P.S: In the readme file i left permissions of not being able to use the models as resource, but in fact i forgot to edit that part and i'm lazy to update that thing and reupload it, so before anyone ask, yes the entire package is resource-free (except the Silent Hill theme and Tactical Sekt logo because obvious reasons) as everything is at least 6 years old.

Last edited by Zanieon on Thu May 18, 2017 6:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Enjay

Re: [Conceptual Resource Map] Akzos City

Post by Enjay »

Zanieon, I love what you have been doing with your maps. They are visually stunning and you have an amazing ability to make vast, real-world scale feeling buildings and structures. Just amazing.

I played the map long enough to get the lighting change (twice). Again, impressive. I think I explored everywhere. The whole map looks great.

I'm interested to see what you do with it once you populate it. Big city maps tend to and up having a "wandering around without much purpose" and "what the hell am I meant to do now" feel to them. Implementing gameplay that gives the player enough purpose and direction in a sprawling city map is quite difficult.
Zanieon

Post by Zanieon »

Thanks for the kind words Enjay, but yeah the problem you mentioned is what made me scrap this map when i made, it was the iterations it had in the gameplay, first it was meant to be a simple Invasion map and the map was designed with that in mind, but then i decided to make it more silent hill-like, however the map's flow doesn't give you much sense of direction if you have to do missions and with that planned for that horror gameplay was going to require more resources from me than i could do in the age making me loose the interest in keep it, resulting in it being scrapped.
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

Shame. To me it's a perfect Sci-fi or potential cyberpunk kind of map. It's exactly the visual feel that I really like in games. So I really like it but I understand the problems. As I was wandering around I was thinking that getting cohesive, purposeful gameplay into the map would be very tough. It's still a visual treat though.

As for it being an invasion map, I did find that little Doom GATE* flat (which I assumed was a non-implemented teleport) hiding at the end of an alley so I'm guessing that was going to be an enemy spawning point.
Zanieon

Post by Zanieon »

heh don't worry about this map being what it is now, i think the age of more Industron maps is about to come, since i have plans to keep releasing these single maps alongside Hunter's Moon, maybe one of them is another city map, i like make cities in my maps, that is the only reason there's one in the ending of the UAC Vinur Prime Research Base, make one as the map itself requires more time due to all the street detailing, however this is a thing i have been doing since i started mapping, ironically this is not really the first city map i made but surely it is the first decent one.

And yeah when you explore a bit the surroudings of the map you will find traces of the gameplay iterations, that teleport pad is one of them, the air duct in the small room inside the building behind Tactical Sekt's one is another from when i changed the gameplay style.
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

Zanieon wrote:the air duct in the small room inside the building behind Tactical Sekt's one is another from when i changed the gameplay style.
Yup, I found that too - and I like Tactical Sekt as well so it's all good. :)
The Ultimate DooMer

Post by The Ultimate DooMer »

Maybe just try putting in standard monsters/weapons etc. and see how it goes? It'd be a shame to see a map like this go to waste.
(maybe with 6 keys and a rainbow door for non-linear progression, with a choice of start positions)
Zanieon

Post by Zanieon »

It's already been wasted for over 6 years, the saddest part was me holding it from the public.

In the other hand, i released this as a total resource thing, which includes you pick it edit on your own and see where it goes if you want to, just keep the credits for logical reasons though, if you also want to post it here or even create your own thread with your modified version i'm totally fine with it.
DoomKrakken

Post by DoomKrakken »

HOW DID I NOT SEE THIS SOONER?!

Would you at least be able to add weapons to the map? I know of a mod that can convert any map into an Invasion gamemode map... haven't played it yet, but unless the aforementioned generic Invasion mod doesn't provide weapon spawns itself, it's not going to be much fun to do Invasion here...
Bezhael

Post by Bezhael »

It appears if you stay too long in the starting building the doors close and you start taking damage for some reason.
Zanieon

Post by Zanieon »

Oh yeah, actually that was also another reminescent mechanic from when the map was going to be some survival, whenever the siren plays the starting building closes its door and everyone inside takes damage or even die and respawn outside to forcibly stay there.

After moving it to horro style i forgot to clean up that mechanic as well some other things and the "day/night" script in case still makes that happen.

Return to “Levels”