Satanic Doomers - Going Nowhere Fast [Community Project]

New maps, and other projects whose primary focus is new maps, belong here.

Note: This forum, and all forums below it, are not for questions or troubleshooting! Threads created here are for active projects only! If you have questions please feel free to use the Editing subforums or General forum.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
joe-ilya

Satanic Doomers - Going Nowhere Fast [Community Project]

Post by joe-ilya »

After spending 6 months on these maps, I've finally made the most promising maps for openning a new community project that I can do.

Images of all the maps so far :

MAP01
http://i.imgur.com/Jir9n90.png

MAP05
http://i.imgur.com/nC4GKhu.png

MAP13
http://i.imgur.com/ohvsJm7.png

MAP25
http://i.imgur.com/VELUjaU.png

MAP27
http://i.imgur.com/XowVnkN.png

Mapping rules :
-Must use Doom 2 as the Iwad
-Must be Boom compatible
-Must use cc4-tex.wad texture pack (can be found here) and/or stock Doom 2 textures (alterenative skies will be provided for each episode later)
-Use one of the many themes provided to be the majority of the map (Themes provided in the map list)
-The final map of each episode must have a death exit as a non-secret exit (Except for MAP30, this rule also applies to MAP31 and MAP32)
-The final map of each episode must have no invulnerabilities [Except for MAP30 (this rule is here incase the player has the invulnerability while going for the death exit (rule won't apply to a map that uses the telefragging voodoo doll technique), this rule also applies to MAP31 and MAP32]
-Must have an exit and the player start spawn
-Mustn't use nazis (outside of secrets and the secret maps, commander keens may be used only if aren't seen in regular maps)

Mapping tips (that I could otherwise include in the map myself) :
-Death exits should be a cutscene connecting to the next episode's theme
-Use custom music with less than a megabyte in size.
-Implement difficulty settings
-Should be multiplayer compatible
-Should have a title
-MAP15 and MAP31 should have secret exits
-The slaughterfest maps don't require a ton of monsters, the Scythe series never exceeded the 1000 monsters counter, you don't have to exceed that limit for the map to be considered a slaughterfest, but feel free to do so if you're an extremist
-Have it bugless
-Have at least one item and secret

Maps so far :

-Short maps.

Rural areas/villages
MAP01 : "Going Nowhere Fast"* by joe-ilya
MAP02 : "Village Shrine"(WIP) by Redead-ITA and Memfis
MAP03 : Open
MAP04 : "The Fortress In The Forest"(WIP) by Deadwing
MAP05 : "Library of spells"* by D0paminecloud

Dry wild west
MAP06 : (untitled)** by walter confalonieri
MAP07 : Open
MAP08 : "SuXe"(WIP) by bzzrak
MAP09 : (untitled)** by Crunchynut44
MAP10 : "Bad religion"(Close to WIP) by Lo_Mein

-Adventurous and explorational maps

Spaceships
MAP11 : (Untitled)** by Zendos
MAP12 : (Untitled)** by StormCatcher77
MAP13 : "From planet to planet"* by joe-ilya
MAP14 : (Untitled)** by Surreily
MAP15 : (Untitled)** by JSO x

Urban environments at night
MAP16 : "The neighbourhood" by joe-ilya
MAP17 : (Untitled)** by meatman12
MAP18 : (Untitled)(WIP) by Mr.Enchanter
MAP19 : (Untitled)** by cortlong50
MAP20 : (Untitled)** by MAN_WITH_GUN

-Slaughterfests

Nature/aztec
MAP21 : Open
MAP22 : Open
MAP23 : Open
MAP24 : Open
MAP25 : "Twilight Sparkle massacre"* by joe-ilya

Hell environments
MAP26 : Open
MAP27 : "Slaughterhouse"* by joe-ilya
MAP28 : Open
MAP29 : Open
MAP30 : Open

*These maps are in the same wad file.
**These maps are unpublished.
Spoiler:
Ideas for maps :
MAP03 - Going by a grand structure in several ways for 3d effect and interactivity.
MAP04 - A dungeon with troops suffering in different ways.
MAP19 - A ghetto on fire
MAP24 - Going lower and lower, and then into the metallic core of the earth
MAP22 - An exposed underground structure visible open from above the ground (it's digged out)
MAP29 - Climbing and jumping into a volcano.
MAP30 - Inside a volcano riding skulls and mortar over lava while fighting a boss or a few.

Story :
UAC decided to get onto another experiment into getting rid of the continous invasion of hell, so they got their favorite doomguy, but instead of commanding him in person, the company decided to hypnotize doomguy so he won't have to feel exhausted during his mission.
Now you're a UAC scientist who controls the hypnotized doomguy via a sense controller that was taught to the hypnotized doomguy and to you by the experiment founder.
Last edited by joe-ilya on Wed Oct 11, 2017 2:43 pm, edited 23 times in total.
Mr.Enchanter

Re: Going Nowhere Fast [Community Project]

Post by Mr.Enchanter »

Your screenshots for Map01 and Map27 are the same picture. Any deadlines set? I may want to grab one of the Urban spots (Map16) if it's not due for like a month or so. Excellent choice picking the community chest 4 textures, been working with them a lot recently.
joe-ilya

Post by joe-ilya »

Whoops, I have no idea how I copied that link twice, I'll fix it.
No deadlines yet, I'll set them once every slot is claimed, this means you can have MAP16, make sure it's adventurous and explorational while maintaining a fair size for an episode opener, some folk got the message wrong when I said MAP11-MAP20 should be adventurous and explorational.
Mr.Enchanter

Post by Mr.Enchanter »

Would you consider Decoration sprite replacements? Such as bushes and trees replacing the grey and big brown trees? They would add to the Urban theme well, and since this is a Boom-compat project, adding them in isn't an option. I understand if not, just wondering.
joe-ilya

Post by joe-ilya »

You're better off making them sector based instead.
Mr.Enchanter

Post by Mr.Enchanter »

joe-ilya wrote:You're better off making them sector based instead.
Not familiar with that, I'm guessing you're talking about using WadAuthor to make a WCF file that creates a new entry?

Sorry if it seems like a noob-ish question, I'm used to using Decorate to put custom actors in.
joe-ilya

Post by joe-ilya »

No, sector based means you build the miscellenous decorations via the map, like this : http://i.imgur.com/I2GC8ht.png
Mr.Enchanter

Post by Mr.Enchanter »

joe-ilya wrote:No, sector based means you build the miscellenous decorations via the map, like this : http://i.imgur.com/I2GC8ht.png
Ohhhh, duh :D I'll probably do that then, whew.

Started a bit today, figured I would make the entrance a teleport since it's the beginning of the episode, used an outside sector and wind to push the first player over a linedef to have them teleport into the map as soon as the map starts (additional players will spawn next to the telepad on the platform), you start in a sort of hilly/rocky area that will go to a town, I'll probably have the player drop down a waterfall or something as the transition.

joe-ilya

Post by joe-ilya »

You don't have to do teleport entrances, that's a job for the previous maps (MAP15/31/32) to set in an intro for the episode, but if you feel it does something meaningful to the gameplay, you could leave that in.
I like what you're going for, is that a construction site?
meatman12

Post by meatman12 »

Hmm, I'm actually really liking how these look! Could I work on MAP17
joe-ilya

Post by joe-ilya »

Sure!
Mr.Enchanter

Post by Mr.Enchanter »

joe-ilya wrote:You don't have to do teleport entrances, that's a job for the previous maps (MAP15/31/32) to set in an intro for the episode, but if you feel it does something meaningful to the gameplay, you could leave that in.
I like what you're going for, is that a construction site?
More of a UAC installation that is hidden near a town, you know how the UAC is, they oversee everything, and for quick dispatch, they have hidden installations near every major town and city so that they can monitor the effects of the invasion and respond quickly to any problems. Naturally, after Doomguy's adventures on the ships, he is teleported back to a colony nearby to deal with the ensuing invasion taking place there. Unfortunately for the residents, a valley town is the easiest place for hell to invade, and after days of torrential downpour of demons, the town has finally fallen, and Doomguy must travel to the town to clean up the mess, and eventually make his way to the inner city where the heart of the invasion has started in this colony.

First stop, the Uncanny Valley.

Is it ok to post progress screens throughout or should I keep it to a minimum?

Also, started on the city today.
joe-ilya

Post by joe-ilya »

Yes, post pictures as much as you desire.
Your recent picture looks nice, although it should have more height variations, because so far it looks empty and flat. It also seems somewhat wierd that there's water instead of asphalt or other solid material.
Mr.Enchanter

Post by Mr.Enchanter »

joe-ilya wrote:Yes, post pictures as much as you desire.
Your recent picture looks nice, although it should have more height variations, because so far it looks empty and flat. It also seems somewhat wierd that there's water instead of asphalt or other solid material.
The water comes from the nearby UAC powerplant that you enter the city from, most of the city has sidewalks/paths/roads going everywhere, with ponds here and there, and as far as height variation goes I have yet to do that, detailing the building first, and then adding those details after I have a good sense of how the flow of the map will go. Most of the buildings can be entered, and they will have plenty of rooms to explore. If I had taken the shot a bit further up you would see where the sidewalk ends/starts.

Added a dock to better transition from water to city, fishing is a popular hobby amongst the residents that once flourished here. Doing some minor landscape sloping too to give the map a bit more character.
Shops have been abandoned... and the most of the crops are dead, any remaining survivors will probably not make it very long.
joe-ilya

Post by joe-ilya »

You definetly added some character to your map! You've pretty much nailed the whole outdoor layout already.

One small note is that technological door, it just doesn't fit in this otherwise primitive area dominated by mortar, metal and wood.

Return to “Levels”