Satanic Doomers - Going Nowhere Fast [Community Project]

New maps, and other projects whose primary focus is new maps, belong here.

Note: This forum, and all forums below it, are not for questions or troubleshooting! Threads created here are for active projects only! If you have questions please feel free to use the Editing subforums or General forum.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Mr.Enchanter

Re: Going Nowhere Fast [Community Project]

Post by Mr.Enchanter »

joe-ilya wrote:So I've rejected Quantum Danger's MAP15 slot participation because it's a Zdoom map and because it doesn't fit with the rest of this project, it's too small and too basic, so I've reopened the MAP15 slot for anyone interested.

@Mr.Enchanter Could you please show an overhead view of your entire map, I just want to see if you've made it too big, because it's supposed to be a somewhat brief episode opener just any other I plan to have in this project.
Sure.
Untitled.png
I don't have much more planned, yellow key leads to exit, and both blue and red are relatively simple to get, this is rather condensed.

Done and satisfied with the red key area, about halfway done with the level now, part of that is manipulating my layout, and the other part is decorating/adding things to the section.

Last edited by Mr.Enchanter on Sun Apr 30, 2017 1:10 pm, edited 5 times in total.
zrakbz

Post by zrakbz »

Hey Joe, that thing with "moving" a secret is proving to be 2hard4me and my h4x0ring skillz0rz. (Actually, I could do that, but I'd like to keep the little sanity I have left.)
But I still want that disappearing secret.
Would you mind if I included a midtexture that literally warns the player that a secret can become unreachable? Or wrote such a thing on the automap.

p.s.
Spoiler:
egg_boi

Post by egg_boi »

joe-ilya

Post by joe-ilya »

@Mr. Enchanter Seems small enough, good job.

@zbrakbz Don't put warnings, it should incredibly easy to alter the secrets, all you have to do is open access to the new secret after the old one gets deceased, there's nothing fancy, it's not even a Boom effect, it's vanilla, unlike those sliding doors which you've managed to master anyways, the new design for the mayor room is much better now.

@egg_boi Looks like you just threw in the monsters without much thought, the cyberdemon doesn't fit in this compact layout and there's not much of a trap anyways, there's not much teaser for the key and you can exit the map way too easily without having to encounter either of the traps.
The map needs a bit more detail in the buildings, they look too bland inside, especially noticable with your texture choices there.
The megaarmor secret shouldn't be a one time only secret.
The blue skull key ambush doesn't work because the revs and the barons are jammed into each other.

More bugs (with screenshots) :
Spoiler:
Most of these bugs exist because you playtested with GZdoom instead of PRBoom+ or some other Boom source port.
meatman12

Post by meatman12 »

I don't think HOM's, sector tags, monsters getting stuck, or bleeding sectors persist to GZDoom and get magically fixed by Boom ports. HOM's are commonly caused by having no texture on a linedef, monsters getting stuck is because of placement in the map, the sector tag-thing is a mapping error, and the bleeding sector thing is because of the aforementioned placement of verticies.
Mr.Enchanter

Post by Mr.Enchanter »

meatman12 wrote:I don't think HOM's, sector tags, monsters getting stuck, or bleeding sectors persist to GZDoom and get magically fixed by Boom ports. HOM's are commonly caused by having no texture on a linedef, monsters getting stuck is because of placement in the map, the sector tag-thing is a mapping error, and the bleeding sector thing is because of the aforementioned placement of verticies.
What he's saying is that GzDoom fixes a lot of these issues, but Boom/PrBoom does not. He needs to test it in a Boom derivative engine to ensure that there are minimal graphical and map structure errors.
joe-ilya

Post by joe-ilya »

Yeah, that's what I meant.
meatman12

Post by meatman12 »

Oh. Yeah, that makes more sense. :D
Mr.Enchanter

Post by Mr.Enchanter »

I'm nearly done with my map, I have to finish two areas, where you get the yellow key, and where you get to the exit, I will fix issues if anyone can find any, as well as change anything that needs to be changed based on suggestions. Had a friend play it last night and she said it was a little difficult, but not too hard, may or may need to tone back the mass monster spawn in after grabbing the red key if it's too difficult, may need to add more ammo. At this point if you find all of the secrets then you are more than prepared.

Got some screenies:

Last one is the exit, you escape the valley and go to the next city/town.

Here is an overview of the map, the shape is finished, all that's left to do is finish the interiors of a couple buildings.
Athel

Post by Athel »

Y'know, I have been making some semi-decent crap in Doom Builder 2 recently. Is it alright if I enter this and claim Map 26, or do I need to make a quick map to prove my worth? :p
joe-ilya

Post by joe-ilya »

You have one of the worst mapping reputations, I'm not allowing you to claim slots, but I'll allow you to take MAP26 of this project if your map will at least be fitting with the rest of the maps quality-wise once you finish your map.
Athel

Post by Athel »

See, that's why I want to join SOMETHING. My crappy reputation came from my horrible and immature attempts of mapping on an android device. I want to come back to show that I am no longer the crappy immature 12 year old that I once was, making shit posts and overall being a nuisance to everybody. I have access to an actual laptop now, GZDoom Builder set up, and nearly every doom port that exists. If you'd like, I could instead just watch from the sidelines. Just thought this might be a good exercise for me to make a public map after the little absence I've had.
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

fellowzdoomer wrote:See, that's why I want to join SOMETHING. My crappy reputation came from my horrible and immature attempts of mapping on an android device. I want to come back to show that I am no longer the crappy immature 12 year old that I once was, making shit posts and overall being a nuisance to everybody. I have access to an actual laptop now, GZDoom Builder set up, and nearly every doom port that exists. If you'd like, I could instead just watch from the sidelines. Just thought this might be a good exercise for me to make a public map after the little absence I've had.
If you'd like my advice: pace yourself. Don't rush into getting into community projects so fast; do a single level WAD or two and see what feedback you get from those.
Athel

Post by Athel »

Yeah, good advice. I think I'll take it.
joe-ilya

Post by joe-ilya »

Don't rush your single level WADs either.

Return to “Levels”