Satanic Doomers - Going Nowhere Fast [Community Project]

New maps, and other projects whose primary focus is new maps, belong here.

Note: This forum, and all forums below it, are not for questions or troubleshooting! Threads created here are for active projects only! If you have questions please feel free to use the Editing subforums or General forum.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Deadwing

Re: Going Nowhere Fast [Community Project]

Post by Deadwing »

Okay, finally got something playable :)
It's a fairly easy level which should take around 15 minutes to finish it. I've also composed the MIDI, I hope it fits the projects.
I demand some demos and feedback haha

Thanks!

Download here: http://www.mediafire.com/file/q57elf3h7 ... ss-1.0.rar

Pics:

joe-ilya

Post by joe-ilya »

The gameplay is good, the layout is fantastic, even better than moonblood's, perfect usage of heights there.

Yet there's still things to suggest, replace the constant percussion in your MIDI to something more mellow and ambient (maybe heavy bells or a bass drum, I think that'd compliment the map's atmosphere).
One of the armours should be replaced with a trail of armor bonuses.
The hot red building should have a less abrupt texture scheme, something that will fit with the rest of the map, you may want to check out the textures at cc4-tex.wad if the stock textures aren't enough for you.
Make the lift to the rocket launcher more noticable, in my FDA I only found it while looking for the last secret, some candles or pickups could make it easier to comprehend that it's there.
It's possible to break the path to the red key and make it inaccessible in a couple ways, one of them can be done by lowering the lift when you didn't raise it yet via the walkover effect linedef, pushing the button that's sunken inside the building, falling off without activating the lift will lead you to a stuckage.
The other way to break it is by pushing the sunken button from below the building, then pushing the first button without activating the lift or vice versa.
Most of the flats in this map are the Doom Builder default ones, looks unfinished and out of place, the gray variant should be replaced as well, they just look too technological, that kind of selection belongs to 90's themed wads, especially in such a significant amount, but I'm pretty sure you just forgot.
There are a couple of misalignments near the exit door.

FDA: http://uploads.doomshack.org/gnf04fda.lmp
Deadwing

Post by Deadwing »

Thanks joe! I'll watch the demo later today and address the issues :)
Mr.Enchanter

Post by Mr.Enchanter »

Really like your map Deadwing, it's pretty challenging but not unfair, aside from what's been stated, it's a solid level.

Second to last room is done, may decorate a bit more before finalizing it.
joe-ilya

Post by joe-ilya »

Looks like Doom 2 Reloaded, although your screenshots are completely absent of interactive heights, keep in mind, you don't have to make realistic maps, let your imagination flow instead.
Quantum_Dranger

Post by Quantum_Dranger »

http://www.mediafire.com/file/75di5ice3975850/MAP15.wad

X-posted from the doom world thread because it's dead over there.
joe-ilya

Post by joe-ilya »

joe-ilya wrote:So I've rejected Quantum Danger's MAP15 slot participation because it's a Zdoom map and because it doesn't fit with the rest of this project, it's too small and too basic, so I've reopened the MAP15 slot for anyone interested.
meatman12

Post by meatman12 »

I think it would be a good idea to list some of the formats compatible with Boom. Just in case.
Mr.Enchanter

Post by Mr.Enchanter »

meatman12 wrote:I think it would be a good idea to list some of the formats compatible with Boom. Just in case.
Boom format is compatible with Boom.
Untitled.png
Untitled.png (2.64 KiB) Viewed 827 times
Quantum_Dranger

Post by Quantum_Dranger »

joe-ilya wrote:
joe-ilya wrote:So I've rejected Quantum Danger's MAP15 slot participation because it's a Zdoom map and because it doesn't fit with the rest of this project, it's too small and too basic, so I've reopened the MAP15 slot for anyone interested.
The map is in Boom format: http://imgur.com/HfQTBYH
joe-ilya

Post by joe-ilya »

Appereantly it isn't because I can't get out of the first room in PRboom+.
Mr.Enchanter

Post by Mr.Enchanter »

joe-ilya wrote:Appereantly it isn't because I can't get out of the first room in PRboom+.
None of the triggers seem to work either, might need to recheck tags.
joe-ilya wrote:Looks like Doom 2 Reloaded, although your screenshots are completely absent of interactive heights, keep in mind, you don't have to make realistic maps, let your imagination flow instead.
I will try to address this, I'm a bit more used to making Industrial/Realistic maps, so I apologize for the bland-ness, I'll think up some abstract designs to incorporate into the map design. Although I'm not entirely sure what you mean by "interactive heights" I do know that the maps are still a bit flat, I'll look to mappers like ribbiks for inspiration on multi-level arenas.
joe-ilya

Re: Satanic Doomers - Going Nowhere Fast [Community Project]

Post by joe-ilya »

Deadwing's map is a perfect example of interactive heights, they allow you to jump, they make up for more interesting monster encounters (monsters over, under, behind), these kind of heights make you think and puzzle you in a way, not only that, but they also get to make your map look more appealing to pick up and play.
Mr.Enchanter

Post by Mr.Enchanter »

Working on heights a bit more, added cliff and rocks to the main area, and the lower area of this office building/library has a bit more going on.
ImageImageImage
joe-ilya

Post by joe-ilya »

Now that's hell of a lot better, I don't even mind the monochromity in this one, that's how good the heights make your map to be.

Return to “Levels”