Satanic Doomers - Going Nowhere Fast [Community Project]

New maps, and other projects whose primary focus is new maps, belong here.

Note: This forum, and all forums below it, are not for questions or troubleshooting! Threads created here are for active projects only! If you have questions please feel free to use the Editing subforums or General forum.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Mr.Enchanter

Re: Satanic Doomers - Going Nowhere Fast [Community Project]

Post by Mr.Enchanter »

I'm just about finished with my map. It's now playable with few to no bugs.

Here's a link:
MAP16.wad

cc4-tex.wad required.
joe-ilya

Post by joe-ilya »

Your map looks nice and plays nice, but I gave up playing after only killing 70 monsters out of the 200+ the map has because of how cryptic and confusing your map is, here are the reasons why :

Cryptic : Tiny mandatory switches in random rooms in places the player is unlikely to look at since they mix too well with the walls, they just look like detail more than anything, choose something more flashy like the big stock red and green button Doom has to offer, I had to revisit several hallways several times just to realize that there's a switch, at this point the secrets are easier to find than the mandatory paths, I found 5 secrets out of 6 and mainly found them beacuse I was just desperatly wall humping, these kind of secrets are a terrible idea when used more than once in a map, it's uncreative, unfair and just not fun, make them be found in different ways (E.G: A shootable switch from a distance, an odd one out, a texture misalignment, a decoration in front of a wall, and many other ways).

Confusing : There are way too many dead ends with nothing in them, there are switches that give you no identification of what they do, there are way too many doors of the same texture and it makes the map harder to navigate in this maze of a map.

This map is also way too big for MAP16, so I'll have to bump you up to MAP18.
Mr.Enchanter

Post by Mr.Enchanter »

If I'm being bumped to 18, then I can take out the switches and replace that section with a more traditional approach. The reason for the switches is to be somewhat challenging while not having the player have to run long distances to flip switches, and to conserve space.

Also, there is indication as to what they do near the blue key. As you flip more switches, the 5 lights raise according to how many switches you've flipped, the final one turning on the pylon and lowering the blue key platform which you can view through the window of the last switch. The switches are also meant to be activated in a certain order, and when one switch is flipped, the next one reveals itself as a small metal door opens where there is a square in the wall. Every building in the first area has a button in it, which I thought would be more clear. You have to visit the hallways more than once because of this to check if you have opened the door to the switch in that room.

As for secrets, I have a shootable puzzle, a nested secret, and one regular wall secret. The other two are less easy to find, but not too difficult, one requires walking past the blue key, and the other requires pressing use on a screen in a room.
joe-ilya

Post by joe-ilya »

It's not a good idea, because I initially had no idea that little switches popped out each time you pushed a different switch, so all this time I just thought that I was running around aimlessly while I was actually making progress, it's not a good idea for an episode opener and at all, since those kind of levels are supposed to be a brief preview of what's to come.
None of the door tracks are unpegged, so they just tilt up and down while the doors are being closed/open which looks jarring and buggy.

I also got stuck in here after jumping there from the circular lift to the left : http://i.imgur.com/P7yFBDl.png
Mr.Enchanter

Post by Mr.Enchanter »

Regarding the door tracks, they are like that on purpose, I like the way it looks with that texture, but I can change it since it seems like that is usually a noob thing to do. I found about that yesterday, the lift thing, I'm think of how to fix that, perhaps move the rock out a little bit.
Redead-ITA

Post by Redead-ITA »

Id like to join the project
Gonna make a map for the map02 slot
joe-ilya

Post by joe-ilya »

Ok, granted.
Redead-ITA

Post by Redead-ITA »

Heres the map
Village Shrine.zip
(36.77 KiB) Downloaded 99 times
Tho i want to note that The map apparantly according to my feedback is lacking in heights and Eights but i will see what i can do with it
for now heres the map
cortlong50

Post by cortlong50 »

i miiiight wanna take a swing at map 19. something kinda like hellground or something.
cortlong50

Post by cortlong50 »

(click the link..it wont let me downsize it for some reason)

http://i.imgur.com/0zjgPAq.png
http://i.imgur.com/cr2FqW5.png
http://i.imgur.com/9b0TGal.png

heres a screenshot from my current map pack. definitely love urban stuff.
joe-ilya

Post by joe-ilya »

You look promising, slot granted.
Beaky

Post by Beaky »

I am interested!
Im working on a nature/temple map so was wondering if I could take
one of the spots from map21-24
joe-ilya