Satanic Doomers - Going Nowhere Fast [Community Project]

New maps, and other projects whose primary focus is new maps, belong here.

Note: This forum, and all forums below it, are not for questions or troubleshooting! Threads created here are for active projects only! If you have questions please feel free to use the Editing subforums or General forum.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Mr.Enchanter

Re: Going Nowhere Fast [Community Project]

Post by Mr.Enchanter »

joe-ilya wrote:You definetly added some character to your map! You've pretty much nailed the whole outdoor layout already.

One small note is that technological door, it just doesn't fit in this otherwise primitive area dominated by mortar, metal and wood.
It's a temporary one, most likely going to change most of the door textures. Inside one of the buildings I'm using a metal/wood door that I like.

I've also figured out how to use voodoo dolls to make split doors, so those will be added as well in a few places. Going to experiment further.

Powered lift, requires all 5 cores to be reset via failsafe switches around the neighborhood.

Ignore the ugly texture on the building on the left, it's going to be changed.

Been adding more logic to the blue key platform as well as tweaking/adding details.
Last edited by Mr.Enchanter on Sun Apr 30, 2017 1:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.
zrakbz

Post by zrakbz »

http://uploads.doomshack.org/SuXe_210417.zip
(map08 slot, 86 KB)
This should be it.
I've added a LOAD of DM-only weapons and ammo all over the place, but haven't tested it. Anyone, plz?
Also some co-op only monsters. That ain't tested either. :]
Co-op might break on this map due to tons of voodoo magic.
joe-ilya

Post by joe-ilya »

You've got a nice layout, but it needs polish, this map's loaded with bugs, gameplay flaws and a rough look.

The church is too tall and gets cutoff by the shorter buildings on the sides, the prison cell bars don't disappear after you break them, the shop has the bullet boxes inapproprietly placed, you should push them outwards so that the player wouldn't have to run to get them, you can push the exit button from below and finish the map in less than 10 seconds, there's a voodoo doll at the storage building for some reason, just turn it into a corpse, it doesn't fit, the button in the storage rooms window can be pushed from below, the chaingun secret isn't tagged and there's an unreachable secret tag, the church should open up a lot faster.
The way to get the shotgun is too annoying, maybe remove the imp that's right above the shotgun, that would be better, and while at it, replace the shotgun with the super shotgun, most of the barons in this map should be replaced with hell knights or something, place the rocket launcher earlier in the map, the various monsters on the high buildings are just too tedious to kill with anything else.
This map needs detail in some places, the exterior of the jail, the exterior of the storage room, the shop exterior, the entire outdoor ground, these places just look too bland and give the map its rough look.

You have a lot to do.
egg_boi

Post by egg_boi »

Hey! Heard this was the new thread. Here's map 10, it's nearly finished, I just need to make the death exit, add music, and set up difficulty.
http://www.mediafire.com/file/vmm742n1b ... ligion.wad
I don't feel like figuring out how to upload screenshots, so you can add them to the screenshot section of the thread.
(forgot to mention, on Doomworld my username is Lo_Mein. I should fix that.)
zrakbz

Post by zrakbz »

omg big post
Spoiler:
I'll have to finally get around to finishing this map, I'm working on 2 other maps atm, stupid multitasking.
Mr.Enchanter

Post by Mr.Enchanter »

egg_boi wrote:Hey! Heard this was the new thread. Here's map 10, it's nearly finished, I just need to make the death exit, add music, and set up difficulty.
http://www.mediafire.com/file/vmm742n1b ... ligion.wad
I don't feel like figuring out how to upload screenshots, so you can add them to the screenshot section of the thread.
(forgot to mention, on Doomworld my username is Lo_Mein. I should fix that.)
I quite like your map, the flow is nice and it looks good. Keep up the good work! :)

Finishing up the first area, all switches are placed, and I only have 2 more rooms to decorate for this part of the map. So far there are 4 secrets.
Last edited by Mr.Enchanter on Sun Apr 30, 2017 1:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
egg_boi

Post by egg_boi »

Mr.Enchanter wrote: I quite like your map, the flow is nice and it looks good. Keep up the good work! :)

Finishing up the first area, all switches are placed, and I only have 2 more rooms to decorate for this part of the map. So far there are 4 secrets.
Your map looks very nice as well. Pretty detailed for a Boom compatible map, can't wait to play it.
Mr.Enchanter

Post by Mr.Enchanter »

egg_boi wrote:
Mr.Enchanter wrote: I quite like your map, the flow is nice and it looks good. Keep up the good work! :)

Your map looks very nice as well. Pretty detailed for a Boom compatible map, can't wait to play it.
Thank you, should have a playable version soon, working out all of the graphical errors in the first area, zapped one of them, but I have this one that I have no idea how to fix or what it's caused by. Playing this in PrBoom to test in this shot.
Last edited by Mr.Enchanter on Sun Apr 30, 2017 1:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
joe-ilya

Post by joe-ilya »

@egg_boi Your map needs more of a punch to it, it's an episode ender and I feel like it should be more memorable than it is right now, the monster placement isn't incredibly engaging, I could even call it bland and predictable at times, like that AV at the end, would've been much more memorable if a sea of imps teleported in and a bunch of cacos teleported from the many decorative cliffs on the edge of the map for example, stuff like that is what I want to see in episode enders and starters, a good fun memory, you could even add some more interesting scenery like that tent and campfire area, heck, you could make it look like the map was visited by tourists beforehand and they died there, just another suggestion.

@zrakbz You could just move the buildings so that it wouldn't be possible to see that they're cutoff, the mayor voodoo doll should be a corpse, you could put some monsters in there to make it look like they found him and killed him.
The chaingun tag is an unusual idea, but could you at least move the secret tag elsewhere after it deactivates so that it wouldn't look broken and player wouldn't have to open their editors just to make sure their WAD isn't broken?
The shotgun is way too annoying to get, you have to shoot several imps from an awkward angle with a stupid pistol, it would make for a much more interesting encounter if the player would be able to climb up that table without that imp on it and fight off the imps in the room with the shotgun while standing on the table, I'm sure that's a better scene than what you have in the map right now, maybe even put the super shotgun in the middle of the maps outdoor area surrounded with cool terrain detail, maybe in a trench or on a little hill, your choice, but please put a super shotgun in your map, it makes the map less tedious, especially with all these mid-tier monsters scattered all around the map, same with the rocket launcher, it gives the familiar effect as the super shotgun.

@Mr. Enchanter Did you try adding another verticle there or moving the linedefs verticles according to a slightly bigger grid (like 8 px for example)

@NEANDERTHAL (from DW) Somebody already claimed that slot, pick another, look at the OP to see what's still open.
Mr.Enchanter

Post by Mr.Enchanter »

I'll do that, some stuff is on the 2x2 and 4x4 grid.
zrakbz

Post by zrakbz »

All of the technical stuff you mentioned in your previous post were fixed (hopefully, you never know).
joe-ilya wrote: @zrakbz You could just move the buildings so that it wouldn't be possible to see that they're cutoff, the mayor voodoo doll should be a corpse, you could put some monsters in there to make it look like they found him and killed him.
I've made the buildings that were cutting off the church taller, so that they don't do it anymore. Doesn't look too bad IMO.
You really hate the poor mayor, do you? Awwwww ok... RIP mayor sniff sniff you will be missed.
joe-ilya wrote: The chaingun tag is an unusual idea, but could you at least move the secret tag elsewhere after it deactivates so that it wouldn't look broken and player wouldn't have to open their editors just to make sure their WAD isn't broken?
Ha, that would be even better! I'll see if I've got enough space for one more secret somewhere.
joe-ilya wrote: The shotgun is way too annoying to get, you have to shoot several imps from an awkward angle with a stupid pistol, it would make for a much more interesting encounter if the player would be able to climb up that table without that imp on it and fight off the imps in the room with the shotgun while standing on the table
I guess the drunk imp can dance on the other table.
BTW, about the awkward angle... have you tried pressing the wooden wall behind the medkit, near the stairs? :]
joe-ilya wrote: maybe in a trench or on a little hill, your choice, but please put a super shotgun in your map, it makes the map less tedious, especially with all these mid-tier monsters scattered all around the map, same with the rocket launcher, it gives the familiar effect as the super shotgun.
Damn, hills and stuff! Forgot about the possibility of having those!
I'll add a SSG somewhere. The RL is staying where it is, I want to have it in that church.
joe-ilya

Post by joe-ilya »

I don't hate the mayor, it's just that it's possible to kill it and essentially yourself as it's a voodoo doll.
What's the point of that lift near the shotgun? It shouldn't be there unless it leads to a secret or something useful, it just looks like an unfinished feature right now.
Maybe instead of just putting the rocket launcher in the church, flood the church with singular rockets, there's no point to introducing the rocket launcher like you did, leave that to the previous episode where such treatment belongs.
You should also teleport in monsters inside the exit building after it gets constructed.
zrakbz

Post by zrakbz »

totally NOT a huge post lol
Spoiler:
Last edited by zrakbz on Mon Apr 24, 2017 2:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mr.Enchanter

Post by Mr.Enchanter »

Fixed the weird line issue, it only comes up in two places and isn't terribly noticeable unless you are looking for it, and one of them is the welcome mat in the store, and the other one is in a special area that I will let you guys find for yourself. Decided to change the layout a bit for a couple of the rooms, and finished things up for this part of the map, moving on to the area past the blue door now, although I will probably be back to the first bit to either add or polish stuff.

Figuring out something special for the red key...
Last edited by Mr.Enchanter on Sun Apr 30, 2017 1:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
joe-ilya

Post by joe-ilya »

So I've rejected Quantum Danger's MAP15 slot participation because it's a Zdoom map and because it doesn't fit with the rest of this project, it's too small and too basic, so I've reopened the MAP15 slot for anyone interested.

@Mr.Enchanter Could you please show an overhead view of your entire map, I just want to see if you've made it too big, because it's supposed to be a somewhat brief episode opener just any other I plan to have in this project.

Return to “Levels”