[First Level] Echo Chamber

New maps, and other projects whose primary focus is new maps, belong here.

Note: This forum, and all forums below it, are not for questions or troubleshooting! Threads created here are for active projects only! If you have questions please feel free to use the Editing subforums or General forum.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
ElectricDragon

[First Level] Echo Chamber

Post by ElectricDragon »

A Doom 2 Map.

Credit goes to Bobby Prince for the Wolfenstein 3D music used in this map (Get Them Before They Get You)

Feedback will be appreciated.

Map itself was built in GZDoom Builder. Rest of the editing was done with SLADE.
Attachments
somemap01.wad
(39.57 KiB) Downloaded 89 times
Enjay

Re: [First Level] Echo Chamber

Post by Enjay »

Seems well enough put together and all seems to work as it should do. The choice of Wolfenstein music is apt because the level of detailing in the map isn't much more than would be found in a Wolf map (although there is quite some variation in room height). The plainness of architecture and fairly formulaic placement of enemies did make it feel a little as it it could have been created by an auto map generating programme but, like I said, it's functional and there was enough health and ammo to do the job so it's alright.
ElectricDragon

Post by ElectricDragon »

Thanks.

Do you have any advice?
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

Start looking into things that will make your maps more visually appealing: windows, outside areas, stairs, greater height and light variation, functional things like computers or wall features etc. It actually started out as if you were going to do that; the little shotgun platform near the start was quite nice but then it quickly became a brown brick maze with one path through.

Put things that make the place feel more logical/believable. e.g. it's not pitch black in your map so where did all the light come from? I don't see any ceiling tiles that look like lights, or any lamp or torch objects. And what is the building for? At the moment its sole purpose seems to be a brown brick corridor/maze. Also, there's only one path through the map. Providing a couple of alternative paths or requiring the player to go somewhere, find a key or switch and then return to an earlier area (where things may have changed) feels more interesting than just walking a single path from beginning to end.
ramon.dexter
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by ramon.dexter »

While the gameplay is pretty good, the design is pretty much non existent. The pinky ambuseh after the teleport is quite nice, but I this too overwhelming for only a shotgun equipped player. But sorry for sayinh that, texture selection is pretty much boring. Also, the level design looks like something from wolfenstein 3d.

I can advice you to take a look at these great articles listed under "mapping" on realm667. Really good guides that can teach you how to make a pretty nice and beautiful maps.
http://www.realm667.com/index.php/en/tu ... 38#catid90

And one advice: Don|t be confident with yourself. When you are finished with the map, take a second look at it and think "how could I improve this map? How could I make it look better?". Because this map looks like that you finished the gameplay (as I said, it's OK. some ambushes, some surprises, this is OK), but you forgot to add some detail to the map. Do you find this map visually appealing?

Return to “Levels”