Compound Crawler V1.1 ( Doom II WAD, 1 Level )

New maps, and other projects whose primary focus is new maps, belong here.

Note: This forum, and all forums below it, are not for questions or troubleshooting! Threads created here are for active projects only! If you have questions please feel free to use the Editing subforums or General forum.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
HanzvonShreky

Compound Crawler V1.1 ( Doom II WAD, 1 Level )

Post by HanzvonShreky »

A preview of a room later on in the WAD.
A preview of a room later on in the WAD.
Hello guys, Hanz here, I I'm glad to announce the completion of my second Doom WAD! Utilizing the constructive criticism I received on my first WAD, The Sinkhole, I was able to better improve many aspects of this WAD, such as lighting, enemy placement, general balancing of ammo and health, and much more. Like before, I've added custom midi music ( Sepultura - Roots, Bloody Roots ). One thing to note is that this level is shorter than The Sinkhole, but not by that much. As always, constructive criticism is greatly appreciated, and wanted!

***UPDATE***
I have updated the map to version 1.1 based on the criticism I have received. Here is a list of changes: (Only read if interested, spoils entire map)
Spoiler:

DOWLOAD HERE: http://www.mediafire.com/file/am3z7pa7k ... ler1.1.wad

Map made with Doom Builder 2
Recommended Source Port: GZDoom ( but should work with most source ports )
Mouselook recommended for optimal playing experience

Special thanks to DavidN and Enjay for taking the time to give me advice on how to improve in the future!
Last edited by HanzvonShreky on Tue Mar 21, 2017 5:22 pm, edited 3 times in total.
isaacpop23

Re: Compound Crawler ( Doom II WAD, 1 Level )

Post by isaacpop23 »

This was fun to play! The aesthetics were on point. Plus you actually used the particle fountains, I forgot how much I liked those, why aren't those used more?

And you asked for criticism, so here's some:
-The brown texture under the switches seems off, maybe just have that inside the indent and have the brick continue under it.
-The trees are a bit overbearing outside the blue key door.
-The Yellow Key room seems excessively tall. I'm not entirely sure why this bothers me.
-The Baron at the end is too confined, it rarely attacks.
-The ammo balance was a bit off, there were too many shells.
Spoiler: Secrets
Keep it up with these maps!
leodoom85

Post by leodoom85 »

I also played the map. Not much detail, but the gameplay really compensate that point. That last baron was stuck in that exit.
Tomorrow I will upload a video of this map. It's recently recorded with a mod included for the gameplay. It was fun to play. Keep it up :)
leodoom85

Post by leodoom85 »

As I promised, I did the video...
HanzvonShreky

Post by HanzvonShreky »

isaacpop23 wrote:This was fun to play! The aesthetics were on point. Plus you actually used the particle fountains, I forgot how much I liked those, why aren't those used more?

And you asked for criticism, so here's some:
-The brown texture under the switches seems off, maybe just have that inside the indent and have the brick continue under it.
-The trees are a bit overbearing outside the blue key door.
-The Yellow Key room seems excessively tall. I'm not entirely sure why this bothers me.
-The Baron at the end is too confined, it rarely attacks.
-The ammo balance was a bit off, there were too many shells.
Spoiler: Secrets
Keep it up with these maps!
Thank you so much Isaac! I'll be sure to keep these thing in mind for the future! I'm just pissed off at myself because originally I had an imp in the exit, but then I figured "Hmm, let's make that more difficult!" and then I put a Baron. What a dumb move on my part :(
Raziel236

Post by Raziel236 »

@leodoom I'm pretty sure I made that bullet casing, didn't I? ; )
leodoom85

Post by leodoom85 »

Raziel236 wrote:@leodoom I'm pretty sure I made that bullet casing, didn't I? ; )
I don't know :D
HanzvonShreky

Post by HanzvonShreky »

Alright guys, I have updated the map based upon your suggestions! You can re-download the new version 1.1 if you want! change log has been listed in original post!
isaacpop23

Re: Compound Crawler V1.1 ( Doom II WAD, 1 Level )

Post by isaacpop23 »

HanzvonShreky wrote: - textures above and below switches now "BROWNHUG" across entire map (I tried making it BIGBRIK1 but the textures can't be aligned properly, and it just looked really weird because of it)
The way to make the textures align correctly is to unpeg them, I believe it's both lower and upper ungegged, but it's been a while since I've needed to do that.
HanzvonShreky

Re: Compound Crawler V1.1 ( Doom II WAD, 1 Level )

Post by HanzvonShreky »

isaacpop23 wrote:
HanzvonShreky wrote: - textures above and below switches now "BROWNHUG" across entire map (I tried making it BIGBRIK1 but the textures can't be aligned properly, and it just looked really weird because of it)
The way to make the textures align correctly is to unpeg them, I believe it's both lower and upper ungegged, but it's been a while since I've needed to do that.
Ahh ok, thats how you do it.

Return to “Levels”