[Release] Waterlab GZD

New maps, and other projects whose primary focus is new maps, belong here.

NOTE: This forum, and all forums below it, are NOT Q&A or troubleshooting forums! They are for active projects only! Please use the Editing or General or its subforums for such questions.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are ONLY for YOUR PROJECTS! If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.

Re: [Release] Waterlab GZD

Postby cortlong50 » Mon Nov 06, 2017 2:03 am

also can i ask where you got the "slimy water elemental" and can i use it?

have a map that would be perfect for it.
cortlong50
editing my comments ad nauseam

Postby Enjay » Mon Nov 06, 2017 2:56 pm

I put a credits folder in the pk3:

Code: Select allExpand view
Decorate: Enjay
GLDefs: Enjay
Sounds: Unknown
Sprites: Crux, Edits by [Unknown] and Enjay
Original Idea: Crux

The sprites were originally posted on this forum (I think in the spriting carnival thread). I modified them slightly to suit may tastes. As it says above, I did the decorate. I wanted the idea of an enemy that sits in the floor looking like a puddle with eyes and which goes back to being a puddle (without eyes) when it's dead. I used models to help get the flat puddle effect and had to modify the decorate a bit to ensure that the puddles and collapsing body ended up in the same place. I *think* it will still look OK if for some reason you don't want to use models. I'm fairly sure that there are also an underlying sprites with a suitable appearance.

I'm quite happy for you to use it.
Enjay
Everyone is a moon, and has a dark side which he never shows to anybody. Twain

Postby cortlong50 » Mon Nov 06, 2017 4:40 pm

Enjay wrote:I put a credits folder in the pk3:

Code: Select allExpand view
Decorate: Enjay
GLDefs: Enjay
Sounds: Unknown
Sprites: Crux, Edits by [Unknown] and Enjay
Original Idea: Crux

The sprites were originally posted on this forum (I think in the spriting carnival thread). I modified them slightly to suit may tastes. As it says above, I did the decorate. I wanted the idea of an enemy that sits in the floor looking like a puddle with eyes and which goes back to being a puddle (without eyes) when it's dead. I used models to help get the flat puddle effect and had to modify the decorate a bit to ensure that the puddles and collapsing body ended up in the same place. I *think* it will still look OK if for some reason you don't want to use models. I'm fairly sure that there are also an underlying sprites with a suitable appearance.

I'm quite happy for you to use it.

thank you. seriously. i dont mean to kiss ass or anything but youve been a huge help with my entire project. just as far as map ideas and flow of the map to resources (your breaking glass resource and explanations). youve been a big help man.
cortlong50
editing my comments ad nauseam

Postby Enjay » Tue Nov 07, 2017 3:45 pm

Glad to be of service. :D
Enjay

Postby cauldron » Sun Nov 12, 2017 4:06 pm

I've played it a few times on HMP and UV and found all the secrets, it's a great level so I'll say what I thought.

The good:
- Encounters have varied ways the battles go, you can have open ended brawls (area around the yellow key and final area), corridor crawls (areas near elevators) and mixed types (blue key door area and cave area) and the level goes back to old areas and reuses them from new angles.
- I especially liked that when backtracking it didn't become a chore with the new monsters appearing and instead a way to experience the level from a new angle and sometimes if you're unsure where to go, following new monsters is a good way to find your way.
- On that note the soul harvester appearing after the blue door switch was a good idea because some people could miss that.
- The new zombie types were fitting. I think it added a new low-medium level threat and gave a lot of use to the chaingun for dealing with them and it's a gun I don't use very often. It also meant you could keep the threat at the same pace without players getting sick of hordes of vanilla former humans.
- The sound detail was spot on. Great music choice and environment sounds were fitting, you even had reverb in the vents. The spark sound wasn't that one from Quake 2 either.
- I really liked the environment detail you brought out with a limited scope. This map is the best case I can think of where a map made up of brown and grey can be so varied and detailed. The lighting changes and different texture colours/sets for computer panels and occasional 3D objects really brought things out. I especially liked the different metal textures to show destruction in the base.
- Great use of scripts.
- Nice final fight with good balance on both difficulties. Plus I really like boss monsters.
- My favourite encounter was a secret area
Spoiler:

Other thoughts:
- I couldn't get a get a great deal of use from the rocket launcher because of the space you have and monsters teleporting in making it too risky to use, combined with you having enough ammo for other weapons. Though for players using a mod that turns rockets into grenades (especially hotkey grenades) it would be ok.
- If I could cut one monster, it would be the hellion. I didn't mind him myself but I could see how he doesn't entirely fit with the theme of the map so I see what other players mean when they mention it.
- The slimy water elemental was a great addition and the first meeting was a good setup, I was reminded of the Scarecrows in F.E.A.R Perseus Mandate. Because the water effect of the map is something you wanted to draw player's attention to I'd try to tie it more to the water in theme. Eg: have it's death effect if it's in the water be similar to how it is now but it slowly fades back into the water.
- Or players could spot it in the water by a different kind of shimmering as it moved through it, think of a cross between the spectre and the water monsters from Hexen. It would be easily apparent in the light but in dimness, not so much. This way players are checking out the water and it's effect is more a part of the gameplay mechanics in addition to looking cool. I'm not sure if this is possible to do though, I'm just spitballing a way to show off the water more as by itself it was still a cool monster.
________

Top marks to yourself and all those in the credits.

TL;DR
Cacoward material.
cauldron

Postby ReX » Mon Dec 11, 2017 11:00 am

cauldron wrote:Cacoward material.

Your wish is my command

Congratulations to Enjay for the recognition he so richly deserves.
ReX
Title? I don't need no steenkin' title!

Postby Enjay » Sun Dec 24, 2017 8:48 am

Ooooh. Just catching up with stuff now that my winter break has started. I didn't expect this. Really pleased. :D
Enjay

Previous

Return to Levels