[Release] Waterlab GZD

New maps, and other projects whose primary focus is new maps, belong here.

Note: This forum, and all forums below it, are not for questions or troubleshooting! Threads created here are for active projects only! If you have questions please feel free to use the Editing subforums or General forum.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
NachtIntellect

Re: [Release] Waterlab GZD

Post by NachtIntellect »

This looks like a really good map, after playing through this I think I just realised what was missing when I try to create semi-realistic maps, enviroment sounds should definitely be a must to create a better atmosphere of the map, I love the sheer beauty and attention to detail this map partakes in, I have to say I am also impressed with the lighting, I've been trying to get that whole balance of light where it should be with accurate lighting but I can never seem to pull it off 100% and I think you have done a really good job, definitely one of my most favorite maps so far.
RikohZX

Post by RikohZX »

I managed to get all the way to the final battle on UV before the map started pushing my face in hard, but then I got to what I presume was the final wave.
Spoiler:
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

Lot's of very high praise indeed. Thank you very much for your kind comments. It's appreciated.

@RikohZX, it sounds like you were almost there - but not quite. I think that there is quite a step up in pace for the final battle but there's plenty of ammo in the final area and enough powerups (invulnerability is especially useful) to get through. In the early stages I find that strafing around the edge of the battle, avoiding fighting too much and allowing infighting to thin things out is quite a good policy. Doing that can tend to keep you reasonably safe and allow you to save the powerups for later. It's tricky to do but it's actually possible complete the whole fight from start to finish from a pistol start and not take a single point of damage. Of course, it's easier for me because I know who is going to appear and when, and also where all the supplies are and when they are available too.
pricetagman

Post by pricetagman »

:twisted: :twisted: Awesome doom mod. It's like a determination and hard work "mod"-ified . :twisted: And i really enjoed interacting with computers too. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: so many secrets. :twisted:
DoomKrakken

Post by DoomKrakken »

Finally blazed it with Trailblazer. 11/17 secrets found, WOOOOOO!

Now that I've played it, I can now give my two cents...

Holy cow, dude, this was a creepy map. But it was also BEAUTIFUL. :D I was glad there was a lot of warm lighting and calm ambiences, because that helped me keep calm throughout the map.

I found the notorious BFG room. I gotta say, after all that you guys were saying about it, I thought it would be much more disturbing. The walls told me something obviously went down... but I can't say I was deeply disturbed by it. Especially after I picked up the BFG... the resulting battle was too hectic for me to dwell on the topic any further. The red lights that switched on, however, were a nice touch. :D

I think the creepiest part for me, for whatever farfetched reason, was the inclusion of female zombies. I have absolutely no idea why. I've seen those sprites before. I've fought against many a female zombie in several custom maps. I liked that they were there, because it felt a tad bit more realistic and was a nice touch. But, for whatever reason... those specific zombies being in that specific setting... just got under my skin.

Though those slime water elementals... at least the first time I encountered one... that comes in at a close second.

The mood lightened up once the final battle began setting up. Your megasphere was awesome, by the way... ;)

All in all, 10/10 would blaze it again. :D
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

Again, thanks very much. I'm glad you enjoyed it (sorry I missed your message pricetagman - I'm glad you enjoyed it too). Interesting comment about the female zombies. I mostly did it simply because I thought it made sense. I didn't expect it to have that effect. Interesting.

I also appreciate you comment about "warm lighting and calm ambiences". I personally feel that dark and ominous areas work best if there are also light and calmer areas in the map too. That way, the dark seems so much darker versus the lighter areas. I've always considered that a bit of a problem in Doom3. It was so dark so much of the time (especially in the original release) that the threat of the darkness lost its... well, its threat. With a few more light areas, having to dive back into the dark would have been so much more scary than simply always being in the dark.
Rachael
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Rachael »

Enjay wrote:I also appreciate you comment about "warm lighting and calm ambiences". I personally feel that dark and ominous areas work best if there are also light and calmer areas in the map too. That way, the dark seems so much darker versus the lighter areas. I've always considered that a bit of a problem in Doom3. It was so dark so much of the time (especially in the original release) that the threat of the darkness lost its... well, its threat.
"There is no light without dark" is more than an old adage. If you properly balance two extremes, they both will have their full effect. I rather liked it, myself. :)
Zanieon
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

Post by Zanieon »

Okay now i took my entire time to beat this, i loved the BFG secret mood when you run trough there and despite being a bit action heavy the entire theme of the map makes the atmosphere heavy anyway, the same feeling of Doom 3.

Also, in that last room where your sphere is located this is me after picking it up:
DoomKrakken

Post by DoomKrakken »

Story of my life.

That's me playing Doom. :D
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

Thanks once more. :)
Zanieon wrote:Also, in that last room where your sphere is located this is me after picking it up
:lol:

For what it's worth, it isn't picking up the sphere that triggers what comes next. It's just that things are set up in such a way that it's quite likely that the player will pick up the sphere a few moments before things get really heavy.

Gez

Post by Gez »

The first time, I deliberately did not pick the thing, wanting to keep it for later, handled the first wave of teleporting monsters well enough but then quickly died after the doors opened.

Second time I made sure to have a free path to the sphere when the doors started to open.
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

Yes, as you'll know, there are quite a few powerup spawns during the final fight and I try to avoid picking them up them unless I really need them. I find that strategy works really quite well in this fight (and more generally in Doom too of course, especially if the powerup concerned is one that can take you from 1% to over 100%).
Caligari87
Admin
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Post by Caligari87 »

I finally played this, and I have to say it's one of the most atmospheric and beautiful levels I've seen in a LONG time. So many little things send it over the top, from the ambient sounds to the brightmaps to the oh-so-subtle dynamic lights. A pure work of art.

Unfortunately I'm spending so much time admiring the visuals that I'm getting killed more often than normal :D

8-)
Jaxxoon R

Post by Jaxxoon R »

Ah, this is very much my favorite sort of map. I liked how there was a real presence to the environment, the quiet moments between firefights, the subtle use of features for a well-rounded experience, it was loads of fun and very unique.

And I'm not just saying that because you made use of a certain soundpack :wink:
I thought there was something weirdly familiar about some of the sounds, so after playing I had a look at the op and whaddya know. Seems I made them and then forgot entirely.
Blue Shadow

Post by Blue Shadow »

This was enjoyable. I very much like the atmosphere and the ambient sounds and music - they kept me on edge*.

I played and finished it on HMP difficulty:

It's nice to play some Doom map without being scalded by unforgiving ambushes and traps around every corner.
Spoiler: *

Return to “Levels”