[Release] Waterlab GZD

New maps, and other projects whose primary focus is new maps, belong here.

Note: This forum, and all forums below it, are not for questions or troubleshooting! Threads created here are for active projects only! If you have questions please feel free to use the Editing subforums or General forum.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
The Ultimate DooMer

Re: [Release] Waterlab GZD

Post by The Ultimate DooMer »

RockstarRaccoon wrote:Oooh! Does this have big underwater areas? Nobody else seems to do those...
The main problem with those is you're limited to flying monsters, due to it being a 3D environment (maybe caged monsters too, since they can't move).

Unless you give all the monsters water wings via decorate, like I did with regular wings in Serpent's aerial-based map. (then you have the issue of keeping them below the water's surface)

There does need to be more water-based maps though.
RockstarRaccoon

Post by RockstarRaccoon »

There is DECORATE code for enemies that stay in the water. It's natively supported. Actually, I think it's just a single tag. No need for anything extreme, just recolor some Lost Souls with blue and call them Drowned Souls. You can also have enemies on platforms shooting into the water.

Not all areas need enemies anyway: too many Doom mappers underestimate the interest of rooms with just puzzles or scenery. A good chunk of Metroid Doom so far is just wandering through wilderness with only geemers to shoot at, and that's fine. In fact, I'd say NOT having enemies is a good way to learn better map design.
scalliano

Post by scalliano »

Damn, I've been out of the game for too long. This is fantastic!

EDIT: So I finished the map on HMP, that was class. What a way for me to get back into Dooming after more than a year out of the loop. Final battle was intense, my heart sank when the Hades Elementals showed up, and then again when the Overlord appeared. Felt sorry for that last mook in the exit room, but then again I always do! Excellent.

Also, loving the fact that someone took my scientist sprites and ran with them. Might have to nick those ...
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

Thank you very much. I'm particularly pleased to get such a positive thumbs up from you seeing as how so many of the inhabitants of the water lab bear more than a passing resemblance to your avatar. :)
DoomKrakken

Post by DoomKrakken »

HOLY COW, this looks BEAUTIFUL! I must play it!

We really, REALLY need more maps that look like this. Those textures are just damn beautiful. :D
scalliano

Post by scalliano »

Enjay wrote:Thank you very much. I'm particularly pleased to get such a positive thumbs up from you seeing as how so many of the inhabitants of the water lab bear more than a passing resemblance to your avatar. :)

:P
DoomKrakken

Post by DoomKrakken »

WAIT WAT.

There's a mod where we can play as Cameron? :D
scalliano

Post by scalliano »

Eventually ;)
Zeberpal

Post by Zeberpal »

That room with BFG was quite an uneasy feeling. Nice
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

scalliano wrote:video
Thanks for recording that. I like watching people play my stuff. I watched the whole thing. The Cameron mod looks really good too. :D
Zeberpal wrote:That room with BFG was quite an uneasy feeling. Nice
Thanks. "Uneasy" was exactly the feeling that I was trying to get with that room.
Dynamo

Post by Dynamo »

Amazing work as always, Enjay!
Osiris Kalev

Post by Osiris Kalev »

Another great map as always Enjay. It felt like a good map to play, to get back into Doom again. Although, I only found 10 of the secrets, so still feeling quite rusty, heh. But yeah, solid map, solid gameplay, with the great Enjay standards.

I quite liked the choice of music used in the final area. It's not often I hear that song (or any remixes of it).

Edit: And after watching the video for the secrets I missed (because, curious), I feel a bit silly missing the ones I did.
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

Thank you both very much. :)
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

It's funny. Enjay releases a new map without any fanfare, making it look like he just slapped it together, but of course it easily outclasses 90% of the more heavily promoted stuff out there.
TerminusEst13

Post by TerminusEst13 »

Graf Zahl wrote:It's funny. Enjay releases a new map without any fanfare, making it look like he just slapped it together, but of course it easily outclasses 90% of the more heavily promoted stuff out there.
Enjay's actually a really good mapper, unlike most of us hacks. ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ

Return to “Levels”